Streamlight LED Survivor

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably could, but given the amount of work that would have to go into it, the circuity, and the new charger for the LIon batteries, wouldn't it be easier to just get the rechargeable version, or use rechargeable AA batteries? It would certainly seem to cost less in the long run. Additionally, you probably don't know how much life is left in those batteries.

Zen said:
I just ordered two from fox intl after reading the threads.

I was wondering if I can modify it to use two 18650 batteries. That would be nice since I got 9 of them from my dead laptop.

FNG

Enlightened
I ordered one from Fox-Itnl last Thursday and called this morning to check the status of my order and the person said that Streamlight was backordered until the 24th of this month so I canceled my order and called Brightguy (pretty long run on sentence). Greg still had 6 yellow ones in stock IIRC. Not sure about the orange.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
FNG said:
I ordered one from Fox-Itnl last Thursday and called this morning to check the status of my order and the person said that Streamlight was backordered until the 24th of this month so I canceled my order and called Brightguy (pretty long run on sentence). Greg still had 6 yellow ones in stock IIRC. Not sure about the orange.

That's good to know. I ordered my yellow one from Fox on Friday Sept. 22 and still haven't received it yet. I'm beginning to wonder if they were backordered then. I sure wish they would tell you this before letting you place the order:mad:, I can't stand ordering online from companies that don't keep you informed about order status.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an email from fox-intl about my orange Survivor LED.

THREE MORE WEEKS TO SHIP!

Suck.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!

I must have got one of the last Survivor's in stock.

My light took 7 days to ship to me.

crowbar

Newly Enlightened
I ordered mine Aug. 30 and got it Sept. 15:mad::mad::mad:

It's so hard to wait for a new toy:thumbsdow

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
FNG, thanks for the heads up on Fox being out of stock on the yellow Survivor LED. I called them and found that it was out of stock when I ordered mine on 9/22/06 and they didn't even mention it. I have a jeer for Fox because of their lack of customer service.

I cancelled the Fox order and ordered one from BrighGuy. I have a cheer for BrightGuy for their super customer service. I will have my light by the weekend.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
srvctec, I did the same thing as you - I ordered a Survivor LED (in orange, though) from Fox, got an email saying it would take another three weeks, ordered one from Brightguy, and cancelled my Fox order. While it's nice that I got a prompt email about the backorder, I kind of wish that Fox had indicated the light's (lack of) availability BEFORE they let me order one.

PJ

Enlightened
I just picked up an orange one from

www.priority1emergency.com

They had at least a dozen orange on the shelf. They sell over the internet and I believe he said they would ship them internationally.

The beam on this is close to a Propolymer 4AA Luxeon LED, 3 distinct levels. The hot spot seems to be more intense.

I also have a Pelican Little Ed Recoil LED. It doesn't throw as far as the Survivor and the beam is wider. It still has pretty good throw. I'll try to get some beamshots of both up as soon as I clear my SD cards.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my light yesterday, but when I shook it vertically, it would turn off.:huh: I fixed it and started a thread here.

I like the light, although mine's not a lottery winner- it's a little on the green side. It's not noticeable during use, only when comparing it to my whitest LED lights, the JetBeam I and LiteFlux LF1.

Last edited:

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine today. I am soo not, repeat not impressed. I also have the 4aa luxeon which puts out more light than the survivor. Yes I had the survivor on high and fully charged. I will keep my old firefighter lights. The new survivor has a nice pattern but no guts to with its 3 watt luxeon rating. The little 4aa 1 watt luxeon is a keeper, but not the 3 watt survivor unit. The incan version puts out more. If this is the furture of the survivor lights competitors will be lining up to help put the survivor in the history category. Don't buy one of these until you see it work. I suspected when I saw a member selling his on the forum just after receiving it. I have the rechargable in a yellow with the fast charger. Lemon yellow in my book.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
toolboy said:
I just got mine today. I am soo not, repeat not impressed. I also have the 4aa luxeon which puts out more light than the survivor. Yes I had the survivor on high and fully charged. I will keep my old firefighter lights. The new survivor has a nice pattern but no guts to with its 3 watt luxeon rating. The little 4aa 1 watt luxeon is a keeper, but not the 3 watt survivor unit. The incan version puts out more. If this is the furture of the survivor lights competitors will be lining up to help put the survivor in the history category. Don't buy one of these until you see it work. I suspected when I saw a member selling his on the forum just after receiving it. I have the rechargable in a yellow with the fast charger. Lemon yellow in my book.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

When you shake your Rechargeable Survivor does the light go out when the light is turned on?

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
I ordered my Orange rechargeable Survivor from Fox on 9-29 and got it on 10-4. No complaints about the speed of shipping!
The beam is very white, and BRIGHT. The hotspot is the most tightly collimated beam I've ever seen from a flashlight. It's like a searchlight, I can't wait to try it in the fog... The only thing I can fault is the "Low" setting. It looks to be about 80%, I'd prefer 10% as a "close-up" level. The current low doesn't seem useful, unless it really extends runtime. It does not flicker when shaken, but I have not tried the alkaline battery carrier, it does look pretty flimsy. Overall, for what I paid, I'm very happy with this light. --Bob

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine from BrightGuy.

I think that the low is way, way too close to high. I can barely tell the difference between the two. I think the low should be reasonably dim, with super runtime for general navigation or paperwork.

I tried stuffing aluminum foil between each pair of alks, but I could still manage to get it to turn off when shaken. It also worsens electrical contact, so I took it out.

I don't think I would trust this light if I were a firefighter. Imagine the scene: A building is burning, everyone's panicking. You turn on your Survivor LED and pick up a fire hose. You start running to the blaze, and your light goes out. You reach up and click your light back on. You hear people in the building and jump inside, and as soon as your feet hit the ground, your light turns off... again. I can only hope that this doesn't happen with the rechargeable solution.

I don't like the battery carrier, either. It's not just ONE part to lose or break - it's TWO!

For close to $60, I was hoping to like this light a lot more than I do. :awman:

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
I got mine from BrightGuy.

I don't think I would trust this light if I were a firefighter. Imagine the scene: A building is burning, everyone's panicking. You turn on your Survivor LED and pick up a fire hose. You start running to the blaze, and your light goes out. You reach up and click your light back on. You hear people in the building and jump inside, and as soon as your feet hit the ground, your light turns off... again. I can only hope that this doesn't happen with the rechargeable solution.

Wow. That makes me think. I am in love with my Survivor Incan. A survivor LED will be purchased in a week or two. I will have to do some serious tests on it before I trust it to lead me on a fire. The other point that worries me is that (heaven forbid) I go down or get lost in a burning building, that light would serve as a beacon for an intervention team to find me. I hope with the rechargeable batt the problem is eliminated...

PS

I always have more than one light with me just in case :)

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
I can shake mine and the light doesn't go out. I compared it to some of the other survivor incans at the fire station and the led does have a good even secondary ring of light that works in complete darkness. However it has no haz rating so I must keep my Koehler units for that purpose. I was disappointed that the 3 watt luxeon were not much brighter than the 1 watt luxeon in the poly pro helmet lights. I was hoping for stenlight performance, but no luck. If you have a survivor already you will probably like the led version, but I have a barnburner 75 watt hid that I run at the fire station so everything else seems really dim.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shaken not stirred!
icon7.gif

EOppie

Newly Enlightened
Question, I have incan Survivor now, can I order the alkaline one and just slide my battery pack and use the charger from my old one?

Latest posts