Streamlight new Protac HL4 and Super Siege

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight is coming out with two new lights I find interesting. The Protac HL4 is a 2x18650 or 4x123 2200 lumen flashlight. The Super Siege is a beefed up 1100 lumen rechargeable 8800mah li ion lantern with usb charging for cell phones, glare guard, and waterproof compartment. See them on their website.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-gb/product/product.html?pid=342

http://www.streamlight.com/en-gb/product/product.html?pid=341

Streamlight is getting serious! These look pretty cool to me. I always have a place for their utility, no nonsense build quality.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the tip.

I had read about the HL4 and will likely acquire one at some point.
Yet with everything electronic there's that chance something was missed during design that shows up in the early ones..

Probably be summer before I get one.

Yes it does appear as though Streamlight is taking on a new approach.
Web site mentions 'adjustable barrel' for different girth cells...Nice.

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
I really like the idea of that Super Siege. I have the regular Siege and it's a great lantern, well built, and the batteries seem to last forever. I like the new trend in USB rechargeable lights, plus charging another device off this one is a bonus.

I'm curious if the cells are replaceable once they wear out. Didn't see any pricing yet either. Hoping someone who saw it at SHOT SHOW can post a review.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely will be adding at least one of each to the line up. Last note from my local dealer has the HL4 arriving in April. Not sure about the new Siege.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up, these both look like great offerings. The lantern looks like it will stand out competitively with the high output and also the low red outputs. The long runtimes are also nice. It's too bad that it doesn't say that it will provide a neutral or warm tint. That (tint) is very desirable in a lantern for me. Any idea on what street pricing will be?

ToddM

Enlightened
I really liked the Super Siege but it appears it can't use primary cells, for me that's a deal breaker for a lantern because I want it to double for emergency use, it needs to some type of primary cell, not just rechargeable.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really liked the Super Siege but it appears it can't use primary cells, for me that's a deal breaker for a lantern because I want it to double for emergency use, it needs to some type of primary cell, not just rechargeable.

The fact that it can double as a powerbank gives it a unique emergency application, don't you think? Such as charging your phone in a power outage, etc.

ToddM

Enlightened
For some it might fit their needs perfectly, it just didn't fit mine. For me anything that isn't solar, dynamo, or won't take common size primary cells is at best only good for very short term use of a couple days till it runs out of battery, it's only going to run 10 hours at the medium setting so it's not going to last long on a charge, even the low setting only last 30 hours. So for a weekend storm power outage it might be great, but I already have lanterns that will cover that easily with rechargeable D/AA's cells that also take primary cells for longer term use, and a couple large USB power banks, and 20watt solar panel for recharging when the sun is out.

One of the reasons I like a simple common cell like AA's in emergency products is the flexibility. I can buy tons of AA cells for emergencies (home depot always has crazy AA/AAA sales for black friday, this year it was 24 AA's or 24 AAA's for $4, or a package of 30 AA and 30 AAA for $10, have rechargeable ones ready to go, use adapters to use AAA's in AA's and AA's in C/D cells and use the solar panel to refresh them when conditions allow.

Now if I was using the lantern for car camping, around the house on a regular basis in some application, root cellar etc., where charging would not be an issue it might be a perfect choice. If they had make the pack removable and offered a D/AA battery adapter that allowed the use of primary cells I'd probably buy one because I do really like the other Siege products.

One of the things people most overlook in a power outage, or even just striving to use less electricity is their car battery, you can easily charge a 15,000 mah power bank overnight from your car battery and still have tons of power left to start the car as long as it has a good battery in it and it's recharging itself for free every time you drive your car.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Super Siege is pretty cool, but I don't think I'd get it as an emergency lantern. For camping it seems awesome, but if you need to use it for extended power outages the whole point is being able to put new cells into it to keep going night after night. With D cells you can have a few boxes of them stocked and be good for a very long time. The run times on this lantern do seem excellent, but they should have kept the mid mode at 300 lumens or so and it probably would have 15 hours on that mode at least. It seems they have a lithium pack (I'm guessing) in it now that probably has 3 18650's or so. I wonder if you can change it out.

They went with one emitter this time which is probably in the center and might not give it as even of a light distribution pattern, but maybe I'm wrong. Also why is the red mode reduced to a measly 2.7 lumens? In my review I wanted it potentially higher than 10 lumens on the D version.... not a lot lower lol. Also from the picture it looks like for charging you need a specific cord and can't use any usb or micro-usb cable. That's good or bad depending on how you look at it. An older style AC plug is probably way more durable than a micro-usb, but not as ubiquitous if you are taking it with you and forget the cable.

They totally lied to me when I contacted them a month or two ago. I asked if they had any plans for another Siege model or update and they said NOPE :) So much for that 4 D cell Siege I was hoping for.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think SL is thinking the Super Siege is meant more for situation lighting where you know you'll want a solid, easily portable area light vs. emergency response for power outtages. Lighting up a scene as a first responder, etc. Recharging between actions makes it powerful tool for intentional, planned use vs unplanned, reactionary use. I stock D cells for outtages, etc. I would use this more for planned outtings or work.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think SL is thinking the Super Siege is meant more for situation lighting where you know you'll want a solid, easily portable area light vs. emergency response for power outtages. Lighting up a scene as a first responder, etc. Recharging between actions makes it powerful tool for intentional, planned use vs unplanned, reactionary use. I stock D cells for outtages, etc. I would use this more for planned outtings or work.
Agreed
They call it 'siege' for a reason.

led-head

Newly Enlightened
Any word on whether the Protac HL 4 is out yet? I really can't wait to hear what people think.

jobes

Newly Enlightened
I received my HL 4 today. Very very different from the 3. Pattern is very wide and much more yellow. No outside time yet to report on. The grip is nice but a much larger beast overall.