Streamlight Scorpion?

american lockpicker

Enlightened
Yeah, it sure was a SL Scorpion. It's been discussed over in the "flashlights in movies" thread. :)

I own it on blu-ray and it's super clear.

American lock picker, it's nice to hear that streamlight took care care of you. You'll have to let us know if it meets your expectations.

It'll be a few weeks before I order one but I'll let you know how I like it. I know the on/off switch will be an improvement over my current flashlight the Surefire 6p.

radu1976

Enlightened
Anyone know if the new C4 Scorpion can use R123s, or a 17670?

I was told not to use RCRs in my STREAMLIGHT TL-2 C4 ...which is pretty much same light like SCORPION. I am sure 17670 would fit and work fine but I am not sure about regulation
It's like INOVA : feeded with 17670 it lacks of regulation.

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened
The Scorpion, a very good light but times are changing and I just replaced mine bought in 1996 by a Nightcore Defender Infinity. Throw is similar but the NDI is smaller, can be used on low and more important runs on AA NiMH so I can use it all the time. One AA charge gives me the same running time as a pair of CR123, speak about saving !

Illum

Flashaholic
Will the glass lens from a Strion fit in a Scorpion, and does the Scorpion have an aluminum reflector like the Strion does? I've never seen a Scorpion up close (other than once in a campground bathroom in Texas).

one of those annoying things with the scorpion is, compared to the 6P possesses very little modding capability. the entire head is press fit, meaning the window/reflector/reflector damper cannot be removed without destroying the head. so that allows you to use only lamps that fit in the bezel and batteries that will fit in the tube. While the 6P, partially successful because its a classic, but mainly because it makes the most cost-effective host for P60 type drop-ins

wes_wall

Newly Enlightened
Scorpion was my gateway to flashahaulicsism. I though Mags were the bomb; and they were 25 years ago!

LEDS rule these days. I can't wait for my first SF, and presently only dream of a custom McGizmo. Save, save save, and don't tell the wife.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The SL Scorpion is a classic that not-too-long-ago was one of the brightest, compact, lights that you could buy.

I doubt I'll ever sell mine.

At one time, Lighthound.com was selling modified Scorpions. The barrels were bored out to accept an 18650, and a Strion bulb was put into the head. Someone handy with tools should be able to do the same thing.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scorpion 18650 w. Stinger bulb - brighter than Scorpion "normal" and cheaper running cost.
Try to get one

below:
left: Scorpion 18650 vs. Cree XR-E P4 ............................... right: P4 vs. Scorp
(Scorp on full focus! I still take the led light --> double the runtime, white light seems brighter, additional low output levels)
au5aocyc6f68vrcdw.jpg

above:
left: Scorpion 18650 vs. SF 6P ........................................ right: SF 6P vs. Sorp 18650

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've long favored the Streamlight Scorpion over the SureFire 6P and similar lights. Like jayflash, I like the rubber grip. I like the Scorpion so much that I've given away more than half a dozen to those that I felt would use/appreciate a great light.

The Scorpion hasn't seen much use recently, although I have several located in strategic locations throughout the house. Despite the availability of newer, brighter lights in the market, the Scorpion is definitely a keeper.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Gosh I love the Scorpion, like for many, it was my first *real* flashlight! My first one is still in service, as my desk flashlight at work (with an Ultrafire C3 that gets lent out more than the Streamlight).

daloosh

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one time, Lighthound.com was selling modified Scorpions. The barrels were bored out to accept an 18650, and a Strion bulb was put into the head. Someone handy with tools should be able to do the same thing.

This was first Scorpion 18650 body I made, sold here and supply them.
It is not a good idea to bore out original Scorpion body since there is not much material to remove but when you make from scratch, threads can be little tight (more material) in order to have enough bore size to accomodate protected cell which is slightly fatter than unprotected.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Scorpion that I used to keep in the glove box of my car a few years ago. I'm not sure of the exact cause, but the lens melted a little bit. It's deformed and there's a spot where it looks like the heat was somewhat concentrated. I don't know if it happened during use, or because it had spent a couple long hot summers in the glove box. I just pulled it out to use it one time, and noticed the damage. It has since been retired, in favor of a Surefire G2L.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the bulb is not even close to touching the lens. The more I look at it, it looks like maybe something hot touched the lens from the outside. I used it while working on my car once, but I don't remember the front of the light touching any hot engine parts or exhaust pipes.