Streamlight Scorpion?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Scorpion can be seen in countless episodes of CSI, also! It's a really thrower. I've taken it to several fireworks shows that are held in football stadiums, and when the lights go out, from the bleachers, I can really light up the field. (not all at once, though!) It makes me feel like I'm part of the show! My mom says, "the police are gonna get you!" (for shining such a bright, attention grabbing light)

Superdave

Enlightened
How rare is it for them to come with the clip?

I finally fixed my Scorpion, then flipped the clip for bezel-down carry.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> but the lens melted a little bit.

We had that on one of ours also. It's really a brief-use light -- if you use it too long it does soften the middle of the lens and it makes an odd looking center spot. I think we set it up in a tree and used it to light up a campsite when we arrived very late, clicked it off once we were set up and never noticed til later.

I emailed the company and asked about the problem and they sent me a couple of lenses by return mail; turns out you can just poke the rubber end of a pencil through the hole in the reflector -- the old lens will pop out and the new one will snap in.

Illum

Flashaholic
> but the lens melted a little bit.

We had that on one of ours also. It's really a brief-use light -- if you use it too long it does soften the middle of the lens and it makes an odd looking center spot. I think we set it up in a tree and used it to light up a campsite when we arrived very late, clicked it off once we were set up and never noticed til later.

I emailed the company and asked about the problem and they sent me a couple of lenses by return mail; turns out you can just poke the rubber end of a pencil through the hole in the reflector -- the old lens will pop out and the new one will snap in.

:eek:oo: no kiddin?
gee...I've been spreading mis-information around about it being irreplaceable then:green:

pobox1475

Enlightened
Just found out that a couple pair of batteries that I ran in mine will not power it at 2.8 & 2.9v. A new set at 3.0 did nicely. The depleted cells were still able to power up my Quark. Scorp has been just used as back up around house past few years. But now I like modern LED tech even more :cool:.

Illum

Flashaholic
this the main draw back with incandescent and applies across all incandescent with the exception of a few like the SF A2, etc.

this is also why 2x123A incans last so short but when tested batteries still has nearly half of its rated capacity:ohgeez:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen anyone yet mention the best thing about the Scorpion...it will fit and work with any Surefire "E" series head. This includes the L1 head, which you can run in direct drive with the Scorpion body.

Illum

Flashaholic
I haven't seen anyone yet mention the best thing about the Scorpion...it will fit and work with any Surefire "E" series head. This includes the L1 head, which you can run in direct drive with the Scorpion body.

:huh2:

I've never heard of this:ohgeez:
pics please!

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
l1scorpiony.jpg

Looks kinda' "OOOglie" IMHO :eek:

The Streamlight Scorpion (I purchased recently) has rekindled my fondness of incandescent lights though I've yet to try it with a Strion bulb it performs admirably with the OEM stock bulb & AW17670... just had to hone out the battery area a wee bit to accommodate my particular cell, this is my new GP duty light :thumbsup:

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock light can handle the 17670 with no problems?

Yeah sure... the 17670 Li-Ion is 4.0~4.1v "hot" off the charger and still significantly less the the Scorpion's 6v rated bi pin lamp, obviously I'm underdriving the lamp and probably only getting 60% of it's rated output but I daresay it's going to be offset by lamp longevity & reduced heat stress on the lens during prolonged usage :thumbsup:

Still I'd like to try the Strion 3.7v lamp, I reckon it should be good for an additional 20~30Lm :devil:

FWIW if you were referring to the 17670 fitting in the light itself... I removed the AW label worked the battery in the sleeve to remove any excess heatshrink layering and honed out the flashlight tube slightly with a heavily textured steel bar to remove any irregularities, I'll admit it's a "snug" fit but the battery slides out effortlessly :D

lightplay22

Enlightened
I wonder if the malkoff VME head will fit as I would like to upgrade the scorpion that is attached to my .22 rifle. An M60 would be nice!!

pobox1475

Enlightened
Still I'd like to try the Strion 3.7v lamp, I reckon it should be good for an additional 20~30Lm
Me too, now :grin2:.

My Protected AW slid right in.

Just noticed the melted dimple on the inside of my lens :(.

Where is a good place to get a better performing bulb and lens from?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight sent me replacement lenses -- same plastic -- for the asking when I emailed them a while back. I guess they're familiar with this problem.

The lens pushes right out; push it with a dowel or something through the hole the bulb sits in.

Pity nobody makes a replacement lamp unit with a LED; I guess the shape of that fancy plastic-and-metal holder is too peculiar to be worth the trouble, but it's such a nice flashlight.