Streamlight Scorpion?

pobox1475

Enlightened
I guess the shape of that fancy plastic-and-metal holder is too peculiar to be worth the trouble, but it's such a nice flashlight.
Too bad. The general consensus is that we will not part with these lights and have delegated them to spare duties. I would jump all over a LED upgrade in a heart beat :hitit:.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> jump all over a LED upgrade

I'd take two (grin).

The mass of the metal head around the metal socket is plenty for a good heatsink.
But the emitter would need to be placed pretty far up into the reflector, as it's designed for a hefty bi-pin bulb -- maybe you'd have to replace the reflector as well.

I guess if it were easy someone would've done it; the Stinger, I think, has a LED module option.

But hey, the Scorpion LED's down to under $50 on closeouts as here (do they have a CPF discount too?):
http://www.theledlight.com/Streamlight-ClearanceSale.html
not that I feel the need of one, but someone might.

Last edited:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's late now, I'll get pics up tomorrow. The Scorpion body fits Surefire heads as though it was designed for that purpose.

Scorpheads.jpg

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! would you identify those 3 heads? Or would all Surefire heads fit no matter what?

(I guess not, here's one LED for _some_ Surefires -- "Fits E2E , E2D, and older model E2L with KL1 head")
http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire-kx2-led-conversion-head.html $$OUCH$$

Can the heads that fit the Scorpion tube be bought as loose parts somewhere, for modding in a LED and driver?
(And who's doing those these days? -- Milkyspit, I see; others?)

Last edited:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The top head is from an E2e, the middle one is a KL1, and the one on bottom is a first generation KL3 using a Surefire E-to-C adapter.

Any E series head will work with the Scorpion body, as will any C series head with an adapter.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few months ago I tried a Streamlight Scorpion. Instantly I liked this little light with a very comfortable rubber handle.
Is there any LED-dropin made for it? I sought but have not found any information about it.

Regards, Patric

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A few months ago I tried a Streamlight Scorpion. Instantly I liked this little light with a very comfortable rubber handle.
Is there any LED-dropin made for it? I sought but have not found any information about it.

Regards, Patric

Nope, no drop-in for the Scorpion. Keep in mind that the reflector is attached to the head. You swap out bulbs the same way you would on a 2AA Mini-Maglite model.

Your best bet would be just to buy the LED version of the SL Scorpion.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, no drop-in for the Scorpion. Keep in mind that the reflector is attached to the head. You swap out bulbs the same way you would on a 2AA Mini-Maglite model.

Your best bet would be just to buy the LED version of the SL Scorpion.

Ok, thanks. I suspected something like that because I am sure Scorpion had been a popular incan to mod with a LED if it had been possible in a way like Surefire 6P.

Regards, Patric

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I own an incan Scorpion from the mid-90s. They were considered remarkable back at that time. As I remember from using one on a daily basis, you needed a fresh battery change for about every total hour of use, and the bulb itself was only said to be good for about 2 battery changes (I never tested the limits) and was also liable to go dead if the unit was dropped- that I can testify to. For any sort of heavy use, I would go LED.