Streamlight TL-3 Questions

Diode

Newly Enlightened
OutdoorIdiot said:
RE the TL-3 bulb falling into the head: Is it possible to remove it yourself
That happened to me once. I used tweezers to remove it. Then I spread the pins apart a little bit, then reinstalled the bulb. No problems since.

Overall, the TL-3 is an excellent value. I like the fact that it has a spare bulb in the head assembly. The tiny bi-pin bulb makes it possible.

ubermensch

Enlightened
TL-3 costs $50, 9P costs $70--I have both and I would recommend the 9P. Better beam quality, more options (clickies, G90, A19, turboheads, LED modules), upgradeable lamp assemblies, no worries about the bulb falling out (with the TL-3 I just removed the red o-ring that was pulling the bulb out). Surefire lamps are a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Plus, the 9P is built like a tank.

Cheers

maxilux

Enlightened
The beam quality from the 9p can be better, but the it is only for 3/4 of the distance from the TL3.

Diode

Newly Enlightened
ubermensch said:
TL-3 costs $50, 9P costs $70--I have both and I would recommend the 9P.
To be fair, the TL-3 does have some strong points. It's brighter and throws better. The head assembly contains a spare bulb, so you'll always have one around. Additional bulbs are inexpensive.

maxilux

Enlightened
Diode said:
To be fair, the TL-3 does have some strong points. It's brighter and throws better. The head assembly contains a spare bulb, so you'll always have one around. Additional bulbs are inexpensive.

That is what i mean, in my opinion the TL3 is the better Light.
For this price there is no better Flashlight in the moment.

ubermensch

Enlightened
Diode said:
To be fair, the TL-3 does have some strong points. It's brighter and throws better.

From my experience, the shear lumen output is identical, and the difference in throw is negligible. But YMMV.

maxilux

Enlightened
ubermensch said:
From my experience, the shear lumen output is identical, and the difference in throw is negligible. But YMMV.

Then i must have an other TL3, the output is not the same.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to comment on the raised tailswitch, I have that on my TL-2. It's just a rubber cover that goes over the original flush switch. It does make it more comfortable and easier to push. I sometimes remove the rubber cover when I want to use it in bounce mode.

Stream

Enlightened
I have a TL-3 incan and there are few of the points that have been raised here that I would like to address.

The bulb falling out has not been an issue for me, I have adjusted the focus a lot of times without any trouble with the bulb falling out. On the other hand, I have experienced this problem with a Scorpion. Diode just offered me a solution that I have not considered before: spreading the pins apart a little bit to increase resistance. Thanks Diode, I'm gonna try this on the Scorpion :)

Bulb life is definitely more than 5 to 6 battery shifts. I have trouble believing that the TL-3 xenon bulb is only a 5 hour bulb, according to brightguy.com it is a 30 hour bulb. If it really were a 5 hour bulb I would have broken it by now; the MinMag has a 5 hour bulb and it almost seemed like I used to change those more often than I change my socks lol. I've gone through more than 5 battery shifts with the TL-3 and I've used it intermittently a lot (even practicing morse code) and I'm still on the original bulb.

As far as shock resistance goes, I haven't dropped it a lot but the CPF member I bought mine from says he had a TL-3 himself in Iraq and dropped it many times without any trouble.

I usually use a latex glove or a piece of paper when changing this type of bulb. As for the bulb braking out in the field, isn't that what backup lights are for? ;)

I think the TL-3 is still in production; it is still listed in products on streamlight.com. If the TL/NF series were discontinued you'd think Streamlight would remove it from their current products listing, or at least note that it was discontinued.

Also, my TL-3 has a protruding tailcap button that is not flush with the rest of the tailcap. Based on what some others here have said, it seems like there are two versions out there -- one with protruding button and one with flush tailcap. My TL-3 came in the yellow blister package, maybe this is the old packaging.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my TL-3. It's rugged and extremely bright for its size and price. The TL-3 is a lot of bang for the buck!

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
Stream:

That's great news that your bulb is lasting so long. I remember reading that other people said they'd got 7 hours or so out of theirs.

I'm only starting my 3rd/4th set of batteries, and am still on the first bulb.

My quote of 3-5 battery changes comes directly from the instruction leaflet that came with my spare TL-3 bulbs. It looks like Streamlight are being conservative, based on your experience, which is great!

Also great if these lights are still being produced. I would hate to break my TL-3 and not be able to get a replacement!

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the TL-3 will disappear anytime soon. I just got some new PolyStingers and the product line leaflet that came with them listed a new TL-3 version I haven't seen before, i.e. "TL-3 Shock Proof", it's probably for weapon mounting.

Sigbjoern

Stream

Enlightened
OutdoorIdiot said:
Stream:

That's great news that your bulb is lasting so long. I remember reading that other people said they'd got 7 hours or so out of theirs.

I'm only starting my 3rd/4th set of batteries, and am still on the first bulb.

My quote of 3-5 battery changes comes directly from the instruction leaflet that came with my spare TL-3 bulbs. It looks like Streamlight are being conservative, based on your experience, which is great!

Also great if these lights are still being produced. I would hate to break my TL-3 and not be able to get a replacement!

Either that or the replacement bulbs have shorter lifespans than the original bulbs. But I can't see a reason why that would be the case, so hopefully Streamlight is just being very conservative.

I would be very surprised if the TL-3 is no longer in production.

tstetz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks much guys! There's lots of good info here on the lights themselves, batteries, and some other options. I greatly appreciate the input and education! :thumbsup:

bascodog

Newly Enlightened
tstetz:

I am a LEO and I have a TL-3 for work and it is bright and it has a nice grip. I haven't been actually using it on the road though because it came with a protruding tail cap switch. After reading one of the previous post I found out the protruding rubber cover/switch can be removed ..sweet! My latest toy that gets deployed always is my Surefire 10X Dominator..I love that light. Purchase a TL-3 it's worth the fifty bucks.

secamp32

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 TL-3s. The newer one (purchased from Amazon a couple of months ago) has the raised tailcap. The older one from last year does not. They also changed the package. The old package without the raised tailcap is yellow. The new package is blue.

oklalawman

Enlightened
I am a cop. Last year I went to the TL-3 as my primary light. It is smaller and a lot more light than a stinger, in a smaler more compct package. I have mine running the 17500 and love it.Somuch that I have one on my ar15 an my 870 remingtonSo far no problems. There is no comparisom to the lights you mention. I have brighter, bigger lights in the car but on my belt is a tl-3. I have never had aproblem with it.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the output on 2x 17500 cells? Is it noticably lower than when running 3x 123As? Isn't the voltage on 2x 17500 cells much lower than the 9V from 3x 123A cells?
Thanks.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
A CR123 at anything over .5 amp is approximately 2.6v or less, so 3 of those would be just under 8v. I've read the explanation that a pair of LiIon cells are 8v or more under similar conditions, so maybe the light output is equal or greater than with CR123's.

zehnmm

Enlightened
"How is the output on 2x 17500 cells? Is it noticably lower than when running 3x 123As? Isn't the voltage on 2x 17500 cells much lower than the 9V from 3x 123A cells?"

On 2 protected 17500's I cannot tell much difference from 3x123's. Some have posted that the light is actually brighter using the 17500's, but I have not seen that. The voltage is indeed lower than 9V from 3x123's.

As I understand it (and I must readily admit that I am not exactly some sort of electrical authority here... so those of you who have expertise please correct me if I am wrong...) it is the "draw" that the TL-3 bulb takes that allows it to run satisfactorily off of the 2x17500's. I believe there have been some other posts in CPF stating as much.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick responses! I've been looking into getting a TL-3. I have a TL-2 already and love it (tho don't use it much). I've been looking for something brighter and have actually been looking into some small HID lights, but the cost is difficult for me right now (and likely in the near future too), as well as the SF M4 and M6 lights. The TL-3 seems to just be the best $/lm deal that I can actually afford. Anyone have ideas on how to make it even brighter?...or is that not a possibility?