{{ Stuff that just works }}

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only WD40 I have found to work is the rust soak they have out. That stuff worked wonders on an old revolver we found in a building we were cleaning out at my mammaw's. The gun was buried in boxes and in a leather holster that had rotted away. It was froze up and would not move, had big chunk of rust and was pitted pretty bad. We let it soak in the rust soak for about a week and the gun now functions and it cleaned the metal so well you can read the manufacturer name, model, patent dates, etc. It turned out o be a colt police positive in 22lr. It isn't safe to shoot but it operates.

As for breaking stuck bolts I haven't found a product better than Schaeffer Penetro 90

I have used citric acid many times for this. That stuff is amazing too.

EDIT: Sorry for the two posts. I wasn't paying attention. My bad.

Borad

Enlightened
Speaking of acid, I had dark stains around the overflow hole of my sink and the edge of my toilet and I tried bleach and scrubbing with abrasive power but there was no improvement. Then I tried an acidic toilet bowl cleaner and it worked! Then someone recommended a calcium, lime, and rust remover that I'd been noticing in Home Depot. I didn't know what the stain was so I didn't try it but it sounds safer than the acid so maybe I'll use it when I run out of acid.

inetdog

Enlightened
One of the main ingredients in the CLR products is phosphoric acid. Safer than what is in the drain cleaner but slower.
For stainless steel surface discoloration oxalic acid as found in Barkeepers Friend works very nicely.

Borad

Enlightened
I have an acid drain opener too (left) but I was talking about Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner. The drain opener scares me even more.

dq5efm.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic
A sawzall is a tool that I rarely need, but when it is needed, it is a life-saver!

Regarding stuck nuts and bolts:
I typically start with WD40, and if that doesn't work then PB Blaster, then onto something a friend gave me that he swears by... "Releaseall" orapi.com, If none of that works, then I'll fire up my Bernzomatic fire wrench.

My last resort is my sawzall, or another tool that just works, that I find that I reach for more and more is a simple 4 inch cut off tool, used as a hand held grinder, or with a cut off wheel, it throws a lot of sparks, but is often faster than the sawzall.

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
There si no multitool like the Victorinox Swisstool(for me). I have used it on the farm for 10+ years. Use it every day.
At night I use Malkoff or HDS plus AW batteries.
For driving I use Toyota Landcruiser, or a Toyota tundra. They both have 200K+ and never failed yet. I also have a 92' Dodge diesel p/u that will last a lifetime.
For writing I use a Fisher "Space pen".

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bar Keepers Friend vs stuck on brake dust:

IMG_20130609_161934_zps847470d0.jpg
^^ A toothbrush with a paste of it...

IMG_20130608_165857_zpsac153b6c.jpg
^^ All wheel cleaners failed

IMG_20130609_161306_zpsadc88ae3.jpg
^^ Bar Keepers Friend to the rescue.
It has a mild acid even safe for alluminum.

TR3 Resin Glaze vs 23 years of oxidation:

IMG_20130608_163808_zpsd360ed87.jpg
Car had not been waxed in quite a while.
At least during the 6 years while owned by the folks I'd bought it from.

IMG_20130602_125239_zps292936f2.jpg
^^ a good sign.

IMG_20130608_163935_zps8dc019ed.jpg
^^ this was in May 014.
Still beaded water in June 015 when I sold it.

Wipe on, wait a couple minutes. Wipe off.
Buff by hand next day.

Another car:

IMG_20150520_195152_1_zps6rtjb8ru.jpg
^^ $10...look for it at Pep Boys or O'Reilleys.

A little California Gold next day...
IMG_20150520_195004_zpsg84auid7.jpg
^^ the truck is like 100' away.

IMG_20150524_204159_zps8fhbrfwu.jpg
^^ not bad.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
bykfixer,
That TR3 looks like it works amazingly well. :thumbsup:

A few years ago, I went to my friend's birthday party, and brought a bottle of Meguiar's PlastX and a few rags. I had noticed that his minivan's headlights were pretty dull, actually VERY dull. The difference was dramatic! Not like new... but hugely improved. So much so, a couple of the guys there, put down their glass of wine, and tried it on their car's headlights.

Apparently there is a difference between a Plastic polish, and a car/paint polish. Plastic polish works better on plastic :rolleyes:

Flashlight Enthusiast
3344110-stay_on_topic.jpg

Silky BigBoy 2000 folding saw

Felco shears and cutters

Michelin tires

Gillette expensive razors (yes waste of money but honestly great shaves)

Shimano bicycle components

Husqvarna chainsaws

Echo blowers and trimmers

LG washers and dryers, the low priced ones

Lorex security cams and dvr's

***everyone's mileage will vary with anything complex and electro-mechanical
I have not been boned yet by any maker I post here

bykfixer

Flashaholic
bykfixer,
That TR3 looks like it works amazingly well. :thumbsup:

A few years ago, I went to my friend's birthday party, and brought a bottle of Meguiar's PlastX and a few rags. I had noticed that his minivan's headlights were pretty dull, actually VERY dull. The difference was dramatic! Not like new... but hugely improved. So much so, a couple of the guys there, put down their glass of wine, and tried it on their car's headlights.

Apparently there is a difference between a Plastic polish, and a car/paint polish. Plastic polish works better on plastic :rolleyes:

Yep....we use 3m head light restore on headlights.
Drill pack is 10x faster. Then plastic polish to keep 'em shiney.

But you can use the leftover discs to get all kinds of stuff shiney again.

Got a dull knife blade? Plastic polish works great.
If it's tarnished the 800 and up headlight discs scour away the crud leaving less n less scratches as you increase the grit.
How about that old weathered cooler?
Got a Yeti? TR3 will keep it brutally shiney for quite some time.

TR3 makes your old dull grill look like new again..or Bar Keepers Friend on alluminum camping chairs...

Before a combo of Bar Keepers Friend, leftover headlight restore sanding discs, TR3 and car wax:

^^ straight outta the junkyard

^^ after

^^ then waxed.

This stuff aint just for cars there, uh 127...but that's where it got it's start.

And the TR3 has a slight smell that after reading poppy's wd40 accelarant comment...hmmm

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
~Re: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Michelin tires

Shimano bicycle components

+1 on those for sure:)

================================

Some more stuff:

Older Craftsman tools

Tri-Flow lube

Rotella 5W~40 Synthetic Oil

Honda Metropolitan (carbureted version)

My 35+ year old Ariens snowblower..:devil:

Last edited:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Re: ~Re: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Bic lighters, IMO they are like the lithium battery of fire starters, They work after years unless the flint gets corroded from the elements. I carry one in my pocket and two in my backpack even though I don't smoke. I usually rip off the child safety tab that is over the striker wheel because they really don't stop children and it just makes the lighter a pain to use with cold hands. I wrapped this one with electrical tape.

Magnum brand metal cut off wheels, they are not expensive and they last much longer than the cheap harbor freight bulk wheels.

Beeswax, whether it is for starting a fire, or finishing something it just works.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Gotta agree about Bic lighters. I had one nearly a decade old.... It still fired up!

Prepped

Enlightened

This is a great thread. I was just talking to my buddy about this very thing the other day. I have an appreciation for a piece of gear that just does what it's supposed to do, reliably. Something that I can just depend on gives me such piece of mind.
+1 on the bic lighters. They just work.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

When you have a need for it,, this stuff is a lifesaver*

hotlinked image removed

*caution: it has a tendency to get everywhere, so sparingly

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppy

Flashaholic

Oh boy... do I have an anti-seize experience.

Roy, had a front end shop, and we became friends. A really nice guy. My son had a bronco, and needed front end work, but I didn't know enough about front ends to determine what parts needed replacement, so I went to Roy, and asked him to tell me which parts needed replacement, my son, and I would do the labor, and then bring it to him for the alignment.

"Fair enough", he said, and he had a story to tell... maybe another time. :)

The truck needed ball joints. If you are doing uppers, you should do the lowers as well.
Long story short, some came out easier than others, and one I had to beat on it again... and again.... and again. I decided to use anti-seize on the studs when I put them back just to insure that they would come out easier if I ever needed to do them again.

SO... I put everything back together, including the front 4x4 hubs which are a bit of a pia. The only problem was that I couldn't torque the studs to specs, and I called Roy for a tip/trick. The trick was to put the jack under the spindle to force the ball joint further into the tapered hole. That didn't work. So I called him again.... "You did WHAT!? LOL LOL... " Yeah... you'll have to take everything back apart, pull the ball joints, clean the anti-seize off, and then reassemble."

That stuff works great! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened

Nice story,

Pilot G2 pens especially the .35 mm

Casio G-shock GW-330A My dad bought this watch for clearance sale at costco for about $30 And he gave it to me for christmas in 2011.
Going on 5 years of every day wear, The battery recharges by built in solar and it wont run out as long as you spend ~20 minutes in daylight, it is water resistant to 200 m and It has been in the ocean multiple times, it also has automatic time via radio, multiple alarm settings, stopwatch, and is extremely tough. I have worn it in multiple continents, while mountain climbing, and while doing parkour.
I would buy another but I don't think that they make them anymore. It still works as good as the day I bought it.
20151118_132102.jpg

scout24

Flashaholic

Poppy- Never-sieze works great, my biggest problem with it is that a tablespoon could probably cover the whe planet. It gets everywhere! And is no fun to clean up after. Works as it should, though... :)