Suggest me a second headlamp

mbiraman

Newly Enlightened
Hello to everyone. Been many yrs since i was here. My zebra headlamp is still kickin 6? yrs now and the Quark AA as well. What i'm looking for is a second headlamp. There's too much new stuff for me to track it all down so i was hoping you folks can give me a few suggestions. Here's what i'm looking for.

1- single AA
2- flood or flood capable.
3- 2 or 3 modes of brightness
4- under $75
So far i've liked the Armytak,,,seems to have what i'm looking for. If you have any other suggestions i'd appreciate it.

bill

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
Have a look at the Spark range, I have the SG5, AA, by default it is flood but you can swap out the lens to get a more focussed throw. There are a couple of good reviews around if you are interested.
It's a nice little unit, great tint (I have the NW) and good modes. The only issue is they stuffed up the design for the headband, but that is easily overcome by leaving the clip in place.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Petzl is likely the way to go in order to fit your criteria. But, I would also be looking hard at the Armtyek. In the end, I like the flexibility of the Armytek ALOT! [h=1]Armytek Tiara A1 Pro XM-L2 :twothumbs[/h]

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Petzl is likely the way to go in order to fit your criteria. But, I would also be looking hard at the Armtyek. In the end, I like the flexibility of the Armytek ALOT! Armytek Tiara A1 Pro XM-L2 :twothumbs

The Armytek Tiara A1 is a good choice. It's VERY bright for a 1xAA. It's a good, durable light. It can use a 14500 for even greater brightness. And it can be removed from the headband to be used as a small lantern. Also, tint is GREAT on the neutral. And it's even available with a high CRI emitter if you like the incandescent look.

Last edited:

Charles L.

Enlightened
As the owner of two Petzls and one Armytek… look at the Armytek. And at the equivalent Zebralight. The stalwarts who still espouse the old favorites may be right in the end, and all these newfangled lights may self-destruct within a few years. Hard to see how they are more likely to break than a plastic, not-very-water-resistant Petzl, however. And if the newer lights don't all break, or even in the meanwhile until they do, lights like Armytek and Zebralight are far superior to the old guard.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the owner of two Petzls and one Armytek… look at the Armytek. And at the equivalent Zebralight. The stalwarts who still espouse the old favorites may be right in the end, and all these newfangled lights may self-destruct within a few years. Hard to see how they are more likely to break than a plastic, not-very-water-resistant Petzl, however. And if the newer lights don't all break, or even in the meanwhile until they do, lights like Armytek andZebralight are far superior to the old guard.

I can't say I've heard as many problems with these Armytek lights as I have from other overseas manufactures ( with the exception of Petzl of course). As Charles knows we were kicking around headlamps in another forum.

As far a Zebra, no go. My experience.

The Petzl actually does have an "unsealed" battery compartment. However its rainproof, and if it gets drenched in there you can remove the cells and air dry without harm. I do believe the battery compartment is sealed off from the led / electronics and there *May be a clear coat on the electronics as well for moisture.

That said, I lean Petzl always, but Charles has both in hand so on his recommendation I'd check out Armytek. I've heard more positive than negative, and you'll get more kick out of the beam, where as Petzl lights are more geared towards runtime than output. Playing devils advocate, Petzl does have fully waterproof headlamps that throw as well........

TLDR: In this case take Charles up on the Armytek especially for salt water enviorments.

Last edited:

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
Have a look at the Spark range, I have the SG5, AA, by default it is flood but you can swap out the lens to get a more focussed throw. There are a couple of good reviews around if you are interested.
It's a nice little unit, great tint (I have the NW) and good modes. The only issue is they stuffed up the design for the headband, but that is easily overcome by leaving the clip in place.

X2

I have an Spark SD52 that uses 2 AA cells. They once had a bump issue with the switch which would cause the light to shut off. They have since fixed that but the one I bought had it and under warranty I was given an SG5 instead of replacing the light. I've used it daily for months, I work as an HVAC service tech. Without the supplied reflector you get 120 degree even beam. Excellent for close up hands on work where everything in your view has the same even illumination. Multiple brightness levels, carbon fiber body, very light weight on the head. I can move around without the lamp sliding. I often work in homes without power and can easily work with this light. If you want close up hands on work the only headlamp is one without a reflector installed. I've tried headlamps with hotspots and you're constantly moving your head to try and see.

Mad Flasher

Newly Enlightened
This light dont meet any of your criteria it actually exceeds it. I got one a few months ago and its my go to light. Its unbelievably bright and comes with rechargeable batteries and a charger. Its cheap but the performance is great in my opinion.

Ebay 311171256759

Link Removed, Please see the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

mbiraman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've added Spark to the list as well.

Davidt1- Its been many yrs now but i believe it was an H501 i bought. I use it allot . In winter i use it every day going to the woodshed and in summer for camping. Very happy with it.