Suggestions for AA headlamp for backcountry work, similar to BD Icon

mr122

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new headlamp for backcountry wildlife field work. I'm a fan of everything my Black Diamond Icon is supposed to do, but it's going back to REI after a variety of issues cropped up over time. The case is defective and doesn't seal properly, batteries somehow drain rapidly while the headlamp is off (same results with different batches of Sanyo Eneloops), and freshly charged batteries are registering as low, keeping me below high power. I have the 320 lumen version purchased in May 2015, and have encountered others having similar issues. Unless someone has heard of these problems being fixed, I'd rather try something different than rolling the dice with a replacement that could fail during a trip.

I am ideally looking for a headlamp with a high powered spot function (long range for nighttime routefinding and wildlife surveys), flood function, red function, and some degree of waterproofing/resistance. I would strongly prefer AA compatibility, as work projects tend to provide AA's and AAA's, of which I already own personal rechargeables also.

Thanks for reading!

wildernessroadie

Newly Enlightened
Given that the biggest features of the Icon are brightness and runtime, I'd be looking towards the fenix end of things. as neat as the Remix is, multiple battery swaps a night are not going to be enjoyable. It doesn't look like fenix does much with red LEDs so maybe just carry a map reading light as well? the HP40H has red, and is marketed as a hunter's light, HP15 and HP25 might also be worth looking for if the red LED is not as critical.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given that the biggest features of the Icon are brightness and runtime, I'd be looking towards the fenix end of things. as neat as the Remix is, multiple battery swaps a night are not going to be enjoyable. It doesn't look like fenix does much with red LEDs so maybe just carry a map reading light as well? the HP40H has red, and is marketed as a hunter's light, HP15 and HP25 might also be worth looking for if the red LED is not as critical.
The HL35 and HL60R both have red lights.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what you need Petzl is the reliable choice. You won't find any AA and AAA they make in that lumen range but they do have them in rechargeable format.
Check their site they have Sport and Pro I believe. They do have them with led colors.
I have their basic models in AAA and AA but they are 80 lumens and below.

Last edited: