Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

Got my shipping confirmation as well, hoping it comes pretty quick! Really exited about the light, seems to have features I wanted in the EA4 in the same package. Here is to anxiously waiting, please no slow boat 3 week shipping!

kj2

Flashaholic

Sunwayman confirms me that the D40A uses a XM-L2 T6. I wonder why many companies aren't using the U2 (or U3) right from the start?

j2k

Newly Enlightened

Ugh, thanks a lot guys :/ yet another light on it's way... ;) Now I just need Sunwayman to make a very nice V40A in neutral white. Pretty please!

BTW. the battery holder on the pictures looks a lot like the one in M40A, which is excellent.

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened

It's been a long time since I have ordered a new light....with three kids money is tighter than it used to be. Plus my Surefire/Malkoff combo has served me well for many years. However, this light has me very intrigued so I mentioned it to my wife and kids as a father's day gift. :whistle: Sent the link to a reputable website seller to my wife as an extra hint. With any luck I will be lighting up the night with a new toy in a few weeks.

Thanks to all of you for getting me jazzed about flashlights again.....and for separating me from some more of my money. :duh2:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vid review still uploading so please check back in a bit if not ready:

I also managed to get an outdoor comparo vid and some shots which I'll post later today.

Cheers,
Tim

aau007

Enlightened

Someone explained Aviation but what is a Police Strobe?

holylight

Enlightened
New Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

Vid review still uploading so please check back in a bit if not ready:

I also managed to get an outdoor comparo vid and some shots which I'll post later today.

Cheers,
Tim

Tks for the video. P25 really hard to beat lol. If you have EA4 to compare to, it will be great.

qazynuze.jpg

xouan

Newly Enlightened

Which is better? D40A or EA4?

holylight

Enlightened
New Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

Btw is p25 or d40 more purplerish? Once again tks for the great video!

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened

that police strobe looks like the mode i think ive seen police cars go in when pulled over in non urgent situations but still need some kind of alert going.
Great video review btw, looking forward to the next.

aau007

Enlightened

That's my problem. I have never realized there exists an universal strobe pattern for "Police Strobe" aside from red/blue or blue flashing. The good old police cars have these cherry lights just rotating around and I hardly call them strobe. Needless to say, have never seen an white strobe light from a police car either. I will pay more attention when I see one of the newer units turn their lights on (hopefully not right behind me though).

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened

Before seeing the video, if you had asked me what I think a police strobe was I would have immediately answered a strobe that changes speeds from fast to ultra fast so a "suspect's" eyes have zero chance at adjusting when beamed with it (not like a person can look at 800 lumens and adjust anyway) but perhaps that's more defined (as if any of this has hard definitions) as tactical police strobe.

edit- texted a LEO friend and asked him if his cruiser has a flashing mode for when pulled over for non emergencies, he confirmed they did but the light color flashed amber, but that his head lights also flashed strobe, so perhaps that's what I was recalling. He also said they have white take down and alley lights on the bar but those don't strobe. Ill try linking him the video and see if he can directly Recognize the pattern.

edit 2- He said he believes his headlights toggle back and forth with one strobe each, but the red and blues on the light bar he believes do use that pattern.
TIL a cop car has a CRAZY amount of light options

Last edited:

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened

Which is better? D40A or EA4?

Going to need to get a whole lot of them in users hands before that call is made. I snagged a D40 for the price a EA4 can be had but I'm not sure that is going to last so price point may play a role also. That said, and without having mine yet, the D40 has the lower lows a lot of people want and is slightly brighter it seems. The EA4 does come in NW, both interfaces seem equally nice... Time will tell.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have either the D40A or the EA4, but I'm leaning towards getting the D40A. It looks better, has a nicer interface, and it has a moonlight mode. But it just comes down to your preference, both of them seem like solid lights.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cheers,
Tim

Great review. Just waiting for you to take your screwdriver to the head now ...

Would dearly love to have a neutral version of this light.