Sunwayman D40A

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
In the US, yes you may carry them inside or outside the flashlight (with terminals protected, such as in a storage case). Here's the FAA info page on this topic:
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

My understanding is they may also be checked if they are inside the device they are intended to power, so you should be able to put the flashlight with batteries inside in a checked bag.

TSA regulations add additional restrictions over FAA regulations for carry-ons. Although TSA allows flashlights in general, they do not allow "tools" longer than 7 inches and have specific restrictions on other items that might be usable as a "bludgeon." Last year there were also temporary restrictions on laptops on flights from some countries to the US, so there is precedent for limiting devices they might think could be used for hiding explosives.

Basically, they may have some discretion on large flashlights. If questioned, be polite, patient, and willing to turn a device on (to a sane level...don't blind them) to help yourself through security with minimal hassle.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all-list
I was worried about the bludgeon risk with the tk75. I was coming in from Australia which is probably why they gave it another look over. They just kept giving me problems with the 18650's was the main thing. I was just polite like you said and it all worked out good. Just offfered to take it apart for them to take a look inside and that helped a bunch.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Was thinking of bringing my X80 on my next trip to Vegas and Grand Canyon. I'm just a little concerned if they could possibly confiscate the light. It's expensive enough that I would be disappointed if that happened.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Was thinking of bringing my X80 on my next trip to Vegas and Grand Canyon. I'm just a little concerned if they could possibly confiscate the light. It's expensive enough that I would be disappointed if that happened.
I'd say don't worry about it man, I went through security a total of 8 times, 3 security check points in us and 5 in Australia with in 25 days. I was worried but I got through all times. Just once they stopped me and I took the light apart and showed them, they didn't even want to try to turn it on or. I live in Arizona I'd say bring it for the Grand Canyon, it would be cool to explore at night and I'm sure you'd have a good time. I just went out at night and explored the jungle/rain forest in Australia at night and it was a blast. Glad I brought the tk75 probably didn't need to bring 5 lights though lol. Maybe bring a flat rate box folded flat with you just Incase but I'd say it'd be worth it if you brought it in a case or something professional looking.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have traveled through multiple airports without any problems, but I always have a couple "priority mail" boxes flattened out in my carryon in case there ever is a problem. I started this a few years ago-I always carry a knife, and on more than one occasion have mailed my knife home because I changed flights and ended up with only carry on. Back then $5.75 seemed reasonable for a Benchmade....

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Will take both your suggestions then and get a nice looking box to carry the light in, thanks.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Grand Canyon can be a fun place to play with a high power light. However, it is also a place where it can disrupt the enjoyment of the dark by quite a few people, so I advise trying to be aware if you might shine your light at people in the distance, and limit how long you play at a stretch.

Among other activities, it's also a great place for night time, long exposure photography, and bright flashlights can be disruptive for that.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have traveled through multiple airports without any problems, but I always have a couple "priority mail" boxes flattened out in my carryon in case there ever is a problem. I started this a few years ago-I always carry a knife, and on more than one occasion have mailed my knife home because I changed flights and ended up with only carry on. Back then $5.75 seemed reasonable for a Benchmade....
Thank you for that idea! Really smart, as sometimes at airport terminals there are only USPS drop-off boxes and no supplies.

Btw, I didn't realize the Sunwayman D40A is growing so long in the tooth. 5 years now since release? Specification wise, it still holds up very well. I bought a NW model on that terrific Illumn deal ($35), and have to say this is an incredibly good deal. I'm done with the days of looking for the most powerful beam for the money. The design, form factor, tint, UI and build quality are also very important and I won't skimp on those. The D40A seems to have it all for such a terrific price.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still one of my all time favorite lights AND Sunwayman still stands behind it. I had an older one where the plastic over the buttons cracked and they sent me replacments for the plastic, metal frame, screws, and gasket making it absolutely new again!

See post #27
Real World Review – Sunwayman D40A
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=370292&share_type=t
Thanks for the heads up on this. I contacted Sunwayman as I want to get a spare now, so that I'll have it on-hand rather than risk facing an unavailable part a few years from now. All I had to pay was shipping. They didn't say anything about the bezel or screws, but I'm hoping that maybe they'll be tossing those in as well. :twothumbs

I'm guessing that trying to protect the button cover won't help any, because it's the flexing of the plastic that is the problem. Just an inherent design flaw, which doesn't reveal unless the light gets frequent use over the long term.

Last edited:

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
I had bought that one d40a earlier, I just ordered two more while they're on sale this morning for $35 each. I like the easy UI I'm giving one of the new ones away as a Christmas gift. Seems like it's simple enough where it is easy to use for people who don't have powerful torches and aren't used to clicking multiple times for different modes. I love the AA which is another reason I bought two more, always good to have AA lights for an emergency, or tons of 18650 charged up lol.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
The Grand Canyon can be a fun place to play with a high power light. However, it is also a place where it can disrupt the enjoyment of the dark by quite a few people, so I advise trying to be aware if you might shine your light at people in the distance, and limit how long you play at a stretch.

Among other activities, it's also a great place for night time, long exposure photography, and bright flashlights can be disruptive for that.

I thought maybe only to shine it at the donkeys as they carry people up and down the narrow Grand Canyon trails at night...... hope everyone knows I'm kidding of course. Yes, I would always be and am respectable where and how I use my lights.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
I had bought that one d40a earlier, I just ordered two more while they're on sale this morning for $35 each. I like the easy UI I'm giving one of the new ones away as a Christmas gift. Seems like it's simple enough where it is easy to use for people who don't have powerful torches and aren't used to clicking multiple times for different modes. I love the AA which is another reason I bought two more, always good to have AA lights for an emergency, or tons of 18650 charged up lol.

I have six BQ-CC17 panasonic chargers and charge all my AA lights once every 6 weeks to keep them topped off just in case. So far I have never had a power outage or needed to really use them for an emergency but I like to be prepared just in case. I love all the AA lights too.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a good light for noobs, taking AAs. The UI might take a little practice, but if they use it often, it'll be second nature in no time.

I just bought my second, five minutes ago, along with three more Xtar chargers (lol) and I got the neutral white this time. ~$53 with free shipping, the SWM ($35) and two Xtar ANTs ($3.99ea.) and a VC2 Plus Master ($9.99,) so I can't complain.

They seem to be out of the cool whites, but if I prefer one, over the other, I'll just snatch back the CW that I've left with my GF and she'll be none the wiser.

We play backgammon out on her balcony and use the D40 CW to ceiling bounce while playing at night.

Works great.

Chris

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
They seem to be out of the cool whites, but if I prefer one, over the other, I'll just snatch back the CW that I've left with my GF and she'll be none the wiser.

The neutral white is on the coolish side, so even cool white fans will probably think it's fine.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
I thought maybe only to shine it at the donkeys as they carry people up and down the narrow Grand Canyon trails at night...... hope everyone knows I'm kidding of course. Yes, I would always be and am respectable where and how I use my lights.
If it was my last night out at the Grand Canyon, you already know I'm shining it all over on turbo. Nothing better than seeing the full potential of a light with the different options in the landscape to see the flood and throw in pitch black. Should be fun.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The neutral white is on the coolish side, so even cool white fans will probably think it's fine.

Thanks WITL.

I remember picking the cool white, since it had a slightly higher output and because I wasn't really into tints all that much. I'm really not picky at all, but NW is what they have/had and at $35 delivered, I couldn't pass it up. I'll keep one here, with me.

Chris

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Thanks WITL.

I remember picking the cool white, since it had a slightly higher output and because I wasn't really into tints all that much. I'm really not picky at all, but NW is what they have/had and at $35 delivered, I couldn't pass it up. I'll keep one here, with me.

Chris
how many of you guys ended up ordering that sunwayman d40a onsale at illumination? Also ordered the Jetbeam SRA40 for $40, saw it had longer signifantly longer run times, with a little more throw. Ordered it because of the longer run times. Is it truly noticeable longer run times? Never owned a jet beam is the quality there? I'm assuming it is.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
how many of you guys ended up ordering that sunwayman d40a onsale at illumination? Also ordered the Jetbeam SRA40 for $40, saw it had longer signifantly longer run times, with a little more throw. Ordered it because of the longer run times. Is it truly noticeable longer run times? Never owned a jet beam is the quality there? I'm assuming it is.

My two AA JetBeam BA20 is one of my first lights and it's quite similar to my Klarus P2A, almost coming from the same factory. The quality is good, but at almost 7 years, those two are dated and live in a SHTF box.

I didn't see the SRA40 listed, but JB is a pretty good brand.

Chris

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
My two AA JetBeam BA20 is one of my first lights and it's quite similar to my Klarus P2A, almost coming from the same factory. The quality is good, but at almost 7 years, those two are dated and live in a SHTF box.

I didn't see the SRA40 listed, but JB is a pretty good brand.

Chris
chris is was under special deals. It was like 50% off. I ordered myself that SRA40, thrunite TN20, and an olight M2T warrior to add to my collection. So that SRA40 isn't a bad deal at $40 compared to Sunwayman d40a at $35?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
chris is was under special deals. It was like 50% off. I ordered myself that SRA40, thrunite TN20, and an olight M2T warrior to add to my collection. So that SRA40 isn't a bad deal at $40 compared to Sunwayman d40a at $35?

It's as good as any and I think I considered it back when I bought the D40A, as well as the EagleTac 3xAA light and the NiteCore EA4.

I'm pretty easy going with my lights and now don't pay much for them, kind of more in the 'budget' arena, at $50, or less.

At that price, buy one and see, as you're not out a lot of cash and you can always sell it off down the road and recoup some of your money.

I didn't need another D40A, but I like the light and it works on AAs, which are ubiquitous. I could have gotten mine back, but at $35 shipped, it's a no brainer for medium distances.

Good luck. I'm waiting on my NW D40A now, but I don't know of the Feds gave the post office off today, lol!

Chris