Sunwayman D40A

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
It's as good as any and I think I considered it back when I bought the D40A, as well as the EagleTac 3xAA light and the NiteCore EA4.

I'm pretty easy going with my lights and now don't pay much for them, kind of more in the 'budget' arena, at $50, or less.

At that price, buy one and see, as you're not out a lot of cash and you can always sell it off down the road and recoup some of your money.

I didn't need another D40A, but I like the light and it works on AAs, which are ubiquitous. I could have gotten mine back, but at $35 shipped, it's a no brainer for medium distances.

Good luck. I'm waiting on my NW D40A now, but I don't know of the Feds gave the post office off today, lol!

Chris
i don't think mail shuts down with the government shut down. Anybody have any thoughts on the energizer nimh AA rechargeable batteries? Got my buddy the d40a and am going to visit him about 200 miles away later today. I Can't wait for enelooops to arrive in mail so I'm thinking of those energizers if you guys think they're alright for at least 5-6 months of use, and the run times, brightness etc againest the 4th gen eneloops

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't think mail shuts down with the government shut down. Anybody have any thoughts on the energizer nimh AA rechargeable batteries? Got my buddy the d40a and am going to visit him about 200 miles away later today. I Can't wait for enelooops to arrive in mail so I'm thinking of those energizers if you guys think they're alright for at least 5-6 months of use, and the run times, brightness etc againest the 4th gen eneloops

You're right, since mine just came and I lubed up the threads. So far, so good and just going on memory, I'd say that my neutral white is definitely warmer when bouncing it off of my kitchen walls, which are bleach white. I like it.

I'm a big fan of the older Energizer 'made in Japan' AAs and AAAs and have used them for 15+ years. Energizer is sourcing from China, so you need the ones with the chrome mylar/green wrappers, 2300mAh, made in Japan and green fiberboard washers at the positive end.

They are most probably sourced from the FDK plant in Japan, now owned by Fujitsu and making batteries for Panasonic under the Eneloop brand. Panasonic was forced to divest the plant/technology/patents, or keep the trade name and they opted for the latter.

Be careful because there are others out there.

Chris

klrman

Newly Enlightened
If it was my last night out at the Grand Canyon, you already know I'm shining it all over on turbo. Nothing better than seeing the full potential of a light with the different options in the landscape to see the flood and throw in pitch black. Should be fun.

Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip, but still had much fun shining it around the local forests. Great little light. As for the D40A vs the SRA40, the d40a has moon mode and the sra40 doesn't. I like both lights and on low the jetbeam lasts 14 hours longer than the sunwayman but the sunwayman's low beam is brighter and nicer. They are both great little lights in their own way. I also have a sofirn sf11 which is the best bargain 4AA light out there. NW, has moon mode and just under $20 when on sale.

Last edited:

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip, but still had much fun shining it around the local forests. Great little light. As for the D40A vs the SRA40, the d40a has moon mode and the sra40 doesn't. I like both lights and on low the jetbeam lasts 14 hours longer than the sunwayman but the sunwayman's low beam is brighter and nicer. They are both great little lights in their own way. I also have a sofirn sf11 which is the best bargain 4AA light out there. NW, has moon mode and just under $20 when on sale.
i definitely like the d40a better than the jet beam sra40, just wish the d40a had longer run times. Sunwayman feels more solid to me with the on off button and mode changing buttons. Got my buddy the d40a for Christmas and he loves it, first decent flashlight he owns. D40a has moonlight mode right? I told my buddy just haven't heard back yet. Moonlight mode is handy for certain situations.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
D40a has moonlight mode right? I told my buddy just haven't heard back yet. Moonlight mode is handy for certain situations.

Yes, just hold down the on/off button while the flashlight is off. After a couple of seconds, it will come on in moonlight. It's around 1 lumen.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Yes, just hold down the on/off button while the flashlight is off. After a couple of seconds, it will come on in moonlight. It's around 1 lumen.
Do you know the best alkaline batteries to use in the d40a? My buddy doesn't have power to his cabin he lives in, so he doesn't have a way to charge his eneloops I got him. I was going to get him like 48-60 AA alkaline. Anybody know the best brand to use in there?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know the best alkaline batteries to use in the d40a? My buddy doesn't have power to his cabin he lives in, so he doesn't have a way to charge his eneloops I got him. I was going to get him like 48-60 AA alkaline. Anybody know the best brand to use in there?

Have him go to Target, Walmart, or Home Depot and buy the 12 pack of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs for about $15. Buy a few packs and he should be good to go.

Lighter in weight than alkaleaks, higher out of the pack voltage (~1.80v,) better current handling and much better at the temperature extremes. Tell him to lay off the Turbo mode, unless he needs it.

Chris

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Have him go to Target, Walmart, or Home Depot and buy the 12 pack of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs for about $15. Buy a few packs and he should be good to go.

Lighter in weight than alkaleaks, higher out of the pack voltage (~1.80v,) better current handling and much better at the temperature extremes. Tell him to lay off the Turbo mode, unless he needs it.

Chris
I'm going to look on amazon for those energizer lithium's, I wonder if they're cheaper. I know turbo isn't as high or as long of run times, now that I know the d40a has moonlight that will help him out a lot.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to look on amazon for those energizer lithium's, I wonder if they're cheaper. I know turbo isn't as high or as long of run times, now that I know the d40a has moonlight that will help him out a lot.

6-7 years ago, they were priced at $10 per quad, so the price has dropped by half. They have a really long shelf life, as well. The ones I recently bought had expiry dates of 2037!

Chris

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Harbor Freight sells these "Thunderbolt" AA and AAA alkaline battery cells. Terrific quality for the price and performance is right up there with Energizer.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Harbor Freight sells these "Thunderbolt" AA and AAA alkaline battery cells. Terrific quality for the price and performance is right up there with Energizer.
Thanks xevious that's good to know maybe I'll give that a shot. I just can't justify spending the that much for lithium energizers when he would go through a bunch, although they perform better it's not worth it to use those all the time. He should be getting his solar panel going soon with the battery box he can charge the eneloops I gave him