Sunwayman L.E. V10R Ti2 Gold (or black)...what was your "out of the box" condition?

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sunwayman L.E. V10R Ti2 Gold (or black)...what was your "out of the box" conditio

octaf you HOARDER you :santa: Hey I'll just say the biggest issue here is the way there AD read - straight from their web site: "high-end jewelry level titanium anodized" unless their is a language problem there what we are seeing does not fit that description at all.

I would like hearing from some people on beam tint and brightness etc. - maybe even a shot with it turned on inside.

Hey, thanks for reminding me that I'm a hoarder. :devil:

Tint of all three lights of mine, is pretty much white w/o noticeable hue of greenish or yellowish or blueish.

Beam pattern of XM-L on this T2 has bigger hot spot in the middle and much brighter spills of light around than the first Ti model of XP-G R5.

cheers,

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sunwayman L.E. V10R Ti2 Gold (or black)...what was your "out of the box" conditio

Thanks octaf, I would gladly take a few body scratches over a yuck green tint light. I'll be thankful for a nice tint.

Chrisdm

Enlightened

Is SWM were smart, they would issue an apology and a recall. Then they should have the blemished lights quicky and expertly refinished, getting it done right the second time. This would be about the only way for them to save face with their costumers (and more importantly for them, their potential future customers) watching this blunder. Lets just hope they realize that doing the right thing ethically is also the smartest long-term business move they could make.

chris975d

Newly Enlightened

Is SWM were smart, they would issue an apology and a recall. Then they should have the blemished lights quicky and expertly refinished, getting it done right the second time. This would be about the only way for them to save face with their costumers (and more importantly for them, their potential future customers) watching this blunder. Lets just hope they realize that doing the right thing ethically is also the smartest long-term business move they could make.

I have been corresponding with the CEO of Sunwayman for the past couple of days. Right now, the only solution/fix to the issue is unfortunately sending the lights back to be refinished, with an approximate turnaround time of 60-90 days. From what I'm being told, they (Sunwayman) don't do the finish of the Ti2 limited edition lights in house, so they have to set that up with the company they contracted that task to. This whole thing stinks all the way around. I could partly accept it if this was just a regular, everyday stock item. But this is/was marketed specifically as "collector's edition", very limited production light. There's 89 of these gold lights...total...worldwide (seems to be that the gold ones have the majority of the issues0. How hard would it have been to make sure that all of them shipped in advertised condition?

Rokron

Newly Enlightened

I totally agree with UpstandingCitizen. We need to let the manufacture know that there is a problem that needs to be addressed so they can fix it. After all you spent $200.00 of your hard earned money for a "Collectors Edition" flashlight and I would hope that you would expect perfection. Let Sunwayman know how you feel and if they should make good and offer to refinish the light plus shipping to and from, do it! So it'll take one to two months, at least you will get what you paid for, a Collectors Edition V10R Ti2. It doesn't matter how many bad lights there are, don't let them get away with shoddy craftsmanship, Sunwayman is better than that.
I completely agree--if it were me buying and receiving the light (which I should note, I did not), then I'd send it back right away for a full refund (including return shipping costs).

Rokron

Newly Enlightened

I totally agree with UpstandingCitizen. We need to let the manufacture know that there is a problem that needs to be addressed so they can fix it. After all you spent $200.00 of your hard earned money for a "Collectors Edition" flashlight and I would hope that you would expect perfection. Let Sunwayman know how you feel and if they should make good and offer to refinish the light plus shipping to and from, do it! So it'll take one to two months at least you will get what you paid for, a Collectors Edition V10R Ti2. It doesn't matter how many bad lights there are, don't let them get away with shoddy craftsmanship, Sunwayman is better than that.
To the people that are considering keeping their damaged lights: doesn't that course of action just make it more likely that this will happen again to future consumers?

I understand how badly you guys have wanted this light, but to accept a damaged one and not do anything about it just seems to send the wrong message to the manufacturer.

sassaquin

Enlightened

To the people that are considering keeping their damaged lights: doesn't that course of action just make it more likely that this will happen again to future consumers?

I understand how badly you guys have wanted this light, but to accept a damaged one and not do anything about it just seems to send the wrong message to the manufacturer.

Even if you don't want to send your scratched light back for refinishing, at least let Sunwayman or your dealer know about the dissapointing finish. Their quality will not improve if they don't know the extent of the problem.

Judgedog

Newly Enlightened

I am one of the lucky ones who received a light that appears to me to be "pristine". Mine is #24/89 in gold. I have not taken any pictures, but as best as I can see, there are no scratches, scrapes or dings. I was planning to EDC mine, but seeing that there are so many out there that are not pristine, it seems that mine needs to remain "pristine". Perhaps I should just get a regular V10R or a V10R ti and EDC that, while keeping this one on a shelf!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got mine at the last minute. And yes it's got some scuffs although I'd consider them small. I think I was actually more disappointed in the beam pattern. Tints okay but beam is fairly ringy - something I didn't expect with an XM-L emitter and from SM. It seems to have a very light OP reflector which is fairly deep and I suspect that accounts somewhat for the ringiness. Good things is the ring variable adjustment is buttery smooth from a super low to blazing bright. It's so low you can look it right in the eyeball ;) Switch looks really nice, Lettering is top notch, but the switch does have that scraping-the-chalkboard sound someone mentioned at times. Not sure if that will smooth out of if it can be fine tuned. Pics later... Like I mentioned before it just makes it easier to insure this doesn't end up a safe queen for me. I'll give it a 8 out of 10 overall and that's probably going easy on SM.

I'll add that I'm not a big on white wall hunting but I do it just to get an idea of some of the qualities. This was very noticably ringy anywhere indoors. Not a huge thing but I've got a lot of lights that look better. I'll post later how it seems outdoors. I suspect it will be fine there.

Last edited:

kreisler

Banned

This would be about the only way for them to save face with their costumers (and more importantly for them, their potential future customers) watching this blunder.
I dont believe that this thread is harmful to SWM's good reputation as premium Ch*nese flashlight producer or that any of it is a turn-off for future purchasing. SWM isnt directly responsible for the imperfection of the finish job since it was outsourced to some contracted finisher. I consider myself a prospective SWM customer and when i plan to purchase one of their products (old or forthcoming models), this incident wont influence my decision but have dropped out of my little mind.

we're talking here about minimal scratches in the polish. SWM as a FL company stands for much more than that. Than polish.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll beg to slightly differ with you kreisler. A manufacturer that sells a product IS directly responsible for their quality control and marketing. Those two things do NOT match up well on this deal. Personally I'd prefer they eat it a bit on this and offer everyone who can prove with a picture the issues a cash rebate or at least a good discount on another Sunwayman product. I'd consider $25 a minimum to $50 as a reasonable rebate or discount. That would save a lot of people a lot of trouble on both ends. Those who want a light as described should also have the option of sending it in if they choose.

Chrisdm

Enlightened

I dont believe that this thread is harmful to SWM's good reputation as premium Ch*nese flashlight producer or that any of it is a turn-off for future purchasing. SWM isnt directly responsible for the imperfection of the finish job since it was outsourced to some contracted finisher. I consider myself a prospective SWM customer and when i plan to purchase one of their products (old or forthcoming models), this incident wont influence my decision but have dropped out of my little mind.

we're talking here about minimal scratches in the polish. SWM as a FL company stands for much more than that. Than polish.

So if you bought a new car that had scratched paint on delivery, it would be ok for the car dealer to say "We aren't responsible for the paint job, we sent that out to a painter... " :shrug:

sassaquin

Enlightened

Sunwayman saw my post and pictures on this thread and sent me a PM today.
They basically said the following:
First they apologized that I received a damaged light. They said it is possible their colleagues mistakenly shipped out a few defective lights that got through last check and the rejection rate of this light was very high and they had to go through several rounds of check-up and some slipped through. The issue is being forwarded to the related parties in the company and they will try their best to improve the QC process. They need my light for warranty and regret to tell me that based on my pictures, it is nearly impossible to refinish it and a refund will be issued - please contact my dealer for refund.

Yesterday, I talked to my dealer and was told refinishing was possible and to return it and they would ship it off to Sunwayman. They emailed me a pre-paid UPS shipping label and I packed everything up and dropped it off at the UPS Store. Now, Sunwayman tells me the light can't be refinished and to wait for a refund. I'm confused.

At first I was angry and dissapointed, now I am just sad. Sunwayman acknowledged their mistake, apologized and is trying to resolve the problem as best they can. I still think they make really good lights and I will continue to purchase them.
Hopefully refund credit will be issued quickly. c'est la vie!

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't own these limited addition lights or any Sunwayman light, but wanted to share my "outsider" perspective. I have bought some pre-orders, bought somewhat hard to get lights, and received defective lights. When a situation arises when I am not satisfied I expect the manufacturer to allow a full refund at minimum. I also expect that they will fix the light or exchange it, I don't mind paying return shipping. In this particular case if Sunwayman refinishes the lights I would consider that great customer service. Yes they should have done a final QC check, yes the light is their responsibility and they can't transfer blame to the outsourced finishing, and yes this is a limited edition, the light should be perfect. Although waiting is a pain, if they step up and refinish these limited edition lights at their own cost I will be impressed.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened

This is one of those internet forum threads that genuinely saddens me, especially at this time of year. Some of the vitriolic language and statements in this thread regarding and describing fine scratches on a flashlight can only be politely described as disturbing to read. Please do not misunderstand me, i tried unsuccessfully to buy one of these lights and if it had arrived looking as some of the lights pictured here did i would be somewhat deflated and unhappy with my purchase. It would appear that the manufacturer has accepted that some lights were sent out to customers that were below finished standard. What else can the manufacturer do than apologise and request that the below par lights are returned and re-finished? If customers are unhappy with this option, or the timescale mentioned then it would also appear that the manufacturer will refund the customers hard earned money. I believe the company is relatively new to the flashlight business and no doubt they will learn from it and do their level best to prevent it happening again.

I can totally understand that some owners are feeling somewhat disappointed after competing online to buy the lights in the 1st instance and then waiting patiently for them to arrive. But after reading some of the dramatic, chest beating comments in this thread i genuinely started to worry about the mental health and emotional stability of some forum members.

Before wishing me ill feeling for this post i would suggest, beg even, that some of the more, er, affected people show this thread to some of their piers, friends, co-workers and family and then garner opinion. One only needs to turn on the television to see people being tortured, beaten or starving to death and living in true, abject misery. How would you feel telling them about how 'heartbroken, shocked, terrible, fearful, scared, angry, painful and devastated' you are about your $200+ flashlight?

Happy Christmas and seasonal holidays CPF. God bless us, every one.

kreisler

Banned

This is one of those internet forum threads that genuinely saddens me, especially at this time of year. Some of the vitriolic language and statements in this thread regarding and describing fine scratches on a flashlight can only be politely described as disturbing to read. Please do not misunderstand me, i tried unsuccessfully to buy one of these lights and if it had arrived looking as some of the lights pictured here did i would be somewhat deflated and unhappy with my purchase. It would appear that the manufacturer has accepted that some lights were sent out to customers that were below finished standard. What else can the manufacturer do than apologise and request that the below par lights are returned and re-finished? If customers are unhappy with this option, or the timescale mentioned then it would also appear that the manufacturer will refund the customers hard earned money. I believe the company is relatively new to the flashlight business and no doubt they will learn from it and do their level best to prevent it happening again.

I can totally understand that some owners are feeling somewhat disappointed after competing online to buy the lights in the 1st instance and then waiting patiently for them to arrive. But after reading some of the dramatic, chest beating comments in this thread i genuinely started to worry about the mental health and emotional stability of some forum members.

Before wishing me ill feeling for this post i would suggest, beg even, that some of the more, er, affected people show this thread to some of their piers, friends, co-workers and family and then garner opinion. One only needs to turn on the television to see people being tortured, beaten or starving to death and living in true, abject misery. How would you feel telling them about how 'heartbroken, shocked, terrible, fearful, scared, angry, painful and devastated' you are about your $200+ flashlight?

time to close this thread, period.

Vesper

Enlightened

I'd be hacked at a $200 scratched up flashlight too, but well said all the same... Totally agree with your perspective.

emu124

Enlightened

I can understand your point of view.
And of course there are more serious problems in the world we live in then a few scratches on a flashlight.
That's for sure.
But this reasoning you can bring on every topic. In the end it means we have to accept everything because it could be worse.
IMO this goes way to far ... anyway with my poor english :whistle:.

So back on topic which still is flashlights.

I was really happy when I scored a black and a gold version of the Ti2.
The more I was disappointed when I received the two lights.
As already mentioned several times in this post, if I buy a light that's advertised as "Collectors edition" and "high-end jewelry level titanium anodized" and pay $200 for it, then I expect an absolutely flawless flashlight.
Looking at the scratches on my gold Ti2 (The black one isn't as bad as the gold), I assume the damage happens before anodizing.
I own two V10R Ti already and I'm very happy with these two. If I compare the V10R Ti/V10R Ti2, to me it seems
the whole machine work on the Ti2 isn't as nice as the Ti version.

As sassaquin posted (and if I get right) I have two choices:
-Keep the flashlight.
-Send it back and get my money back.

I would send the light back two SWM to refinish it, but I already thought that it would be almost impossible to do that.
So I decided to keep the two V10R Ti2.
We all know s**t happens, everywhere and all the time. Still i would appreciate a rebate or discount from SWM, just as a sign of good will to their customers.

Just my 2c to this story :shrug:.

And since it did'nt happen without pics....

Last edited:

Chrisdm

Enlightened

I agree that one who feels "devistated", or "hearbroken" over the condition of a flashlight may suffer from a severe lack of perspective. Yet this thread (and its continuance) is still quite relevant, to track the ongoing issue, its documentation and its attempts at resolution. While this isn't a major world issue, it is a major issue in the world of fine flashlight collection.

notsofast

Enlightened

time to close this thread, period.

Sorry, there is way too much valid information that can and needs to be shared on this subject.

I would be very unhappy if a collector light came in the condition that I see from the pictures in this thread.

A possibility I see is that SWM sacrificed QT to make a deadline. Bad decision in my opinion

From the beginning of SWM's involvement on CPF they have been a class act. I will be surprised if they don't handle this situation in an appropriate manner.