Sunwayman m11r, SIRIUSLY????

tower

Newly Enlightened
So I bought the Sunwayamn m11r sirius from Light Junction. It was "quirky" in that it never fully shut off. In the off position, it would spuriously flassh on one two or 3 flashes in no particular interval. So I spoke with Jeff. He asked if I was using AW IMRs. I was and he said that another customer had the same problem with that battery and that he could select a copy which would work with that 16340. So I bought another "hand selected" one, planning on returning the first. The second light had the exact same problem. Both work flawlessly with primaries. I only own one primary and a couple dosen AW IMR 16340s. I have tried e-mailing LJ and calling them several times, butg gotten no reply. I even tried contacting Sunwayman. So now, my hand being forced, I have opened disputes with PayPal. At the very least I want a refund (obviously, I will return the lights) and for LJ to send me a return shipping label (or somehow cover shipping costs).

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

UPDATE: Interestingly, minutes after contacting PayPal and posting this, I heard from Jeff. He is sending me a return label for the lights. That was the sort of customer experience I expected after speaking with him the first time. Glad he came through. Thank you, Jeff!

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered trying a non-IMR protected li-ion cell?

A Li-Co cell has more capacity than IMR and is rechargeable. In the m11r it should be just as bright, because that light doesn't take advantage of the high current IMR cells can deliver.

tower

Newly Enlightened
Why on earth would you use imr in a light that doesn't need the amperage ?
Why not? I am not being argumetative, I am just clueless. Thesae are the batteries I have on hand. Is there wsomething wrong with using them in this light. I have no idea. Please inform me.

tower

Newly Enlightened

A Li-Co cell has more capacity than IMR and is rechargeable. In the m11r it should be just as bright, because that light doesn't take advantage of the high current IMR cells can deliver.
Well my initiall thinkinmg was to keep my life simple by only owning one type of 16340. I guess I have a lot to learn.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a modified M11R Sirius that does the same flashy thing, but I'm using AW protected 16340's.

Since it's modded it's not going back to be fixed though ;)

I usually just wiggle the selector ring and it stops.

I'm not sure how the choice of battery could cause the flashing...

Racer

Enlightened
Isn't the IMR a much more stable chemistry? Has anyone tried the hybrids? We just got a few Panasonic hybrid 18650's - supposedly the best of both worlds.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the IMR a much more stable chemistry? Has anyone tried the hybrids? We just got a few Panasonic hybrid 18650's - supposedly the best of both worlds.

We're talking 16340's here. There are no hybrids. LiMn or LiCo are the only options.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imr cells have a very low resistance, the 16340 imr is capable of a 7 amp draw, which for a smaller light not wired for it, because that's not the normal can end up loosing low modes, making connection where there shouldn't be. Only things I've used imr batteries for is; dropins made by Oveready, VinhNyugen, or VannisleDSM. Many CPF dealers have added warnings not to use imr cells in there lights but not all of them know about these short runtime high output batteries.

the wires themselves probably small enough that they don't let all that juice through killing the light instantly, they are probably adding heat near the circuit board though.

mbira

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem with an M11r Sirius. The random flashing in the off position was easily reproduced with any number of protected AW 16340 batteries; I never tried IMRs in this light.

Its replacement seems to be fine.

tower

Newly Enlightened
We're talking 16340's here. There are no hybrids. LiMn or LiCo are the only options.
The problem isn't the light getting "killed", the problem is the light flashing on now and again when in the off position. I have used IMRs in many other flashlights (including similar Sunwaymans (Sunwaymen?) and similar Jetbeams without any issues. Very confusing.:thinking:

Ned-L

Enlightened
I never suspected that there might be a problem using an AW 16340 IMR in a light that works fine with a RCR123A. I didn't see any warnings (might of missed them), but an AW 16340 IMR that I used in my Nitecore EX10 resulted in a melted battery and a fried light. LH directed me to Nitecore and AW directed me to LH. I thought that IMR chemistry just made it a safer replacement for a standard protected RCR123A.

Last edited:

tower

Newly Enlightened
I have been using several AW RCR123 cells in my Sirius and never experienced any flashing.
Great! Wanna trade? I have noticed that I didn't have the problem with one particular IMR. It was partly discharged, but using that very same cell, right off the charger, the problem returned.

rlichter

Newly Enlightened

I have the same problem with my Sirius using an AW RCR123, the more fully charged, the more frequently it seems to flash. Sunwayman knows about the problem and (one hopes) will fix it in future iteration of the Sirius.

UPDATE: Appears Sunwayman shipped a batch of defective flashlights. I returned mine to the dealer, bought another out of a newly received a shipment, popped in a fully charged AW 123 (4.18V), turned Sirius on and off several times, and...no flashing. (It's been sitting idle a couple of hours. My returned Sirius would have flashed within minutes and repeatedly under this test.)

UPDATE: This one's got the same defect. Why it didn't show up till my second RCR123 charge cycle is a mystery.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
We've had numerous complaints about this issue but have not been able to reproduce it in house (6 lights). Tried both 16340 IMR and "standard" AW LiCo without problems. I'd be interested to hear if this is happening just out of the box or after it's sat for a while. Ones that are returned exhibit the issue immediately so we can repro it then.

mbira

Newly Enlightened
We've had numerous complaints about this issue but have not been able to reproduce it in house (6 lights). Tried both 16340 IMR and "standard" AW LiCo without problems. I'd be interested to hear if this is happening just out of the box or after it's sat for a while. Ones that are returned exhibit the issue immediately so we can repro it then.

The random flashing on my original unit happened immediately and, as I mentioned above, with every standard, protected AW 16340 I tried. It might prove useful to mention that the ring on my non-defective replacement turns much more smoothly than the gritty, almost binding operation of the defective unit but still not nearly as smoothly as the "Premium" version Mr. Elfin that I purchased from you.

Clearly, someone at Sunwayman (that name makes my teeth hurt) was not paying enough attention here.