Surefire 6p: P60 vs M61WL. Incandescent vs. LED hikes.

I love the tint of most Malkoffs, even the ones that are not Neutral or Warm. I could never live with the tint of incan 6P. Out of a dozen or so Malkoffs, I only had a truly bad one angry light blue shade, the rest are fine.

P60 is sort of OK for 15 minutes and as the batteries are quickly depleted, it turns even uglier and even dimmer. P90 is the same way. Runtime is poor, spill is poor, lumens are low and the tint is not that good at all. Let them stay in the 1990's where they belong. They were really cool (pun intended) back then versus the competition.
Today, they are not even any kind of reference standard to be used.

Malkoff M61W sort of looks interesting, I would not mind having one. But you do reduce the lumens just a little.

This is pretty much where I am right now. My first Malkoff dropin was an M61L and even though I like the N better the tint isn't too blue at all on the standard. Better than any other light I have except the Elzettas. My AVS head is surprisingly close to the N...to be sure, it's cooler but not radically so.

Of course, the beauty of the WL is that it should give me several hours of strong, regulated output with good uniform color. I agree, the incan version looses punch pretty quickly. Very briefly I considered the W but somehow I feel like it would kind of be the worst of both worlds- warmer than I really prefer and not nearly as bright as the N or standard version, and not really great runtime either. Better runtime than the stock incan to be sure, but nothing like the L version. In the cooler versions the L still packs a pretty good punch so hopefully the WL will be fairly bright, too.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I find the increased spill distracting at times when looking past 10 yards or so in the brush or say an overgrown field. While walking at night down dirt/gravel roads, or around town, the Malkoff beam is ideal with it's brighter spill... Not to veer off topic too fat, but Fivemega recently posted in an incan thread about the virtues of the P61 on an 18650 or larger IMR cell. The P60 is somewhat dim and yellow on a 16650, but it does make usable light.

If someone has a flashlight that works and it's dark then they're ahead of the game. Everything else IMHO is semantics.:) For me If on narrow trail or bushwhacking greater flood trumps throw. In those situations given the reality of the NE forest there isn't much unobstructed line of sight beyond 50 feet anyways. I wasn't to see all the rocks, roots and rattlers. Also any thorns like blackberries and rose. The mountain laurels as well. But when on a wider road or path I like to see farther just to make sure for perhaps the 3rd time that's actually the glowing eyes of a coyote or deer and not a black bear. It's hardly ever a black bear! Dang! The other night it was a family of foxes which were very curious. I like them but they're shy during and for good reason. At night they get a bit bolder which is neat to see.

I tried the P60 on rechargeables the other day and it was dimmer and had a tint shift to the warmer side. Still it would be usable if needed.

N2PYS

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of led replacements for either the surefire 9 or the surefire 9 turbo.

I am a long term flashoholic just have no idea what to do with these older beasties,surefire has no plans for them,they told me to throw them away.

I would appreciate any info you may have.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really enjoy your threads, Woods Walker. This is another good one, thanks for sharing.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know of led replacements for either the surefire 9 or the surefire 9 turbo.

I am a long term flashoholic just have no idea what to do with these older beasties,surefire has no plans for them,they told me to throw them away.

I would appreciate any info you may have.

I apologize for being off-topic; I tried to send a PM or profile post and it wouldn't let me (due to post count, I'm guessing).

N2PYS, absolutely do NOT throw those lights away! There are many (myself included) who would be happy to buy them if you don't want them and there are many, MANY LED options if you want to keep them! I would recommend a new thread, though. :)

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried a 16650 in a completely stock 6P Original; I thought the light looked GREAT considering that it was 'free lumens'!! I thought it looked OK even without considering the battery source.

Thank you to those who suggested it! Now I can scratch my incan itch when it arrives without burning through several dollars' worth of batteries in just an hour!

scout24

Flashaholic
A new thread with pictures would be great!
I apologize for being off-topic; I tried to send a PM or profile post and it wouldn't let me (due to post count, I'm guessing).

N2PYS, absolutely do NOT throw those lights away! There are many (myself included) who would be happy to buy them if you don't want them and there are many, MANY LED options if you want to keep them! I would recommend a new thread, though. :)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I tried a 16650 in a completely stock 6P Original; I thought the light looked GREAT considering that it was 'free lumens'!! I thought it looked OK even without considering the battery source.

Thank you to those who suggested it! Now I can scratch my incan itch when it arrives without burning through several dollars' worth of batteries in just an hour!

I think a 17650 will fit as well. Use 16650 in a 4/7s 2XCR123 light so had them on hand. Run a 16550 in a SF G2Z with M61NL. Runs for hours.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is pretty much where I am right now. My first Malkoff dropin was an M61L and even though I like the N better the tint isn't too blue at all on the standard. Better than any other light I have except the Elzettas. My AVS head is surprisingly close to the N...to be sure, it's cooler but not radically so.

Of course, the beauty of the WL is that it should give me several hours of strong, regulated output with good uniform color. I agree, the incan version looses punch pretty quickly. Very briefly I considered the W but somehow I feel like it would kind of be the worst of both worlds- warmer than I really prefer and not nearly as bright as the N or standard version, and not really great runtime either. Better runtime than the stock incan to be sure, but nothing like the L version. In the cooler versions the L still packs a pretty good punch so hopefully the WL will be fairly bright, too.

Yeah, all that.

The tint I would like to have is when I superimpose Surefire P90 on 2 Li-Ions over Malkoff M61 hot spot. Now that looks like an interesting combo.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I did the same thing. I have a boatload of 17mm Li-Ions I scored on your favorite online auction. I believe 17670. They do fit in 6P like a glove and run nicely. Never mind the hot spot is relatively small and the tint is, well, what it is. However big yes to free lumens.

It does not really have any purpose but I scored this Surefire 6P for just 20 tokens plus shipping in some online sale, new and need to find a way to use it.