Surefire 8NX Commander....

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
that 9AN battery appears to lack a negative terminal at the head, making them specific to the 9-series.

Try adding a little wad of foil to make contact with the charger? I've done it before, and it does work. That was with the B65 though, so you'll want to be careful about shorting to the negative ring.

BaldGuy45

Newly Enlightened
Just to let folks know, these batteries DO NOT work for the 8NX. I finally received mine today (almost a week overdue I might add) and they are not made for the 8NX. Probably will work in the 9 series, but since I do not own one so I cannot say. I have decided to abandon the quest to find batteries and lamps for this light. For whay I have in the batteries alone, I could have picked up a small light with almost double the lumens.
The SF still works for now, although its run time on the one good battery is probably 25 minutes. Maybe I will find something in the future........

rsvrmille

Newly Enlightened
Don't relegate them to paperweights just yet. Found some batteries on ebay and http://www.surefireb90batteries.com

I
just saw these on ebay and came here to search and see if anyone tried them yet. hopefully we can find a solution for these surefire rechargables,as I too am having a hard time shelving it.

PhillyRube

Enlightened
I have the same problem, a pristine 8NX with charger and box, complete. Doesn't get used, sits in the box. I have a hobby charger so I can charge almost anything, it's just a same technology has bypassed this.

PhillyRube

Enlightened
I also wish there was a aftermarket drop-in for my 8AX Commander. I got this orange battery from eBay a few years back that stated they were a B90 replacement and found they were not the B90 battery replacement but the Stinger battery replacement. I'm not sure if they are still available. My light worked with these and the SF charger also worked, I had to make sure the charger contacts made contact as the batteries have a collar on the (+) side.

100_1033.jpg

If I am not mistaken, those look like the same batteries that go in the Streamlight SL20X-LED, where the positive and negative are at the top of the stick.

BaldGuy45

Newly Enlightened
I have tried the streamlight batteries and could not get them to work for me. Mine is officially at paperweight status. I have moved on. Maybe trade it to somebody for something one of these days.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
rsvrmille is MVP of the thread. I'll be picking up a couple of those! :D

Sorry to hear that you're giving up on the 8X, BaldGuy. They really are fantastic lights.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOD battery-sticks by yourself

When You really want to stay with the 8X, why not mod any battery stick to work with it?
You only have to cut a "ring" + connecting metal strip out of a thin metal and glue it on top and to the sides of the stick + put a shrink foil over it.

az0kfa64ru5luwfbe.jpg

my advise:
since modding my 6P to led and 18650, the 8X (and 9N) are no longer of real use - and that was with a Luxeon led.
Now the P60 inserts are soooo much more advanced ...
and the whole light is much better to pocket
:)
get such a setup instead

Latest posts