Surefire A2 Aviator meets Seoul SSC P4 *This may offend Incandescent A2 enthusiasts*

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
if I may ask how did you managed to do that?
the A2 tailcap is destroyed once its disassembled:shakehead

Illum,

I will try to post pics soon if this doesn't make sense.

Since Surefire glues everything now, I tried heating the button on the tail and it broke off ( I'll get into repairing it in a bit). Once the whole assembly slid out, I took a small flat head screwdriver to very carefully pry the PCB off one half of the switch unit. There are three locator pins and I ended breaking one of them. Seems like SF is using cyanoacrylate to hold this stuff together unlike the heads and tailcap ring. No big deal.
The 10 ohm resistor is exposed from that point and you just make sure to find a replacement resistor that fits into the recess of the other half of the switch assy. I used a 62 ohm 1/2 watt that was sitting around in my spare electronics bin. Then you solder, reassemble, test, and you now have a lower low!

Now that the button needs to be replaced, I drilled out the button and the switch shaft which it was glued to to accept a 3mm buttonhead screw that I had from my HPI R/C cars. I had to countersink/ recess the hole on the broken button end to prevent the screw head from protruding. That's it! Once the tailcap rubber is back on, you don't feel a difference in height or tension because the button head matches closely to the original domed cap.

Hope this gives you a better idea.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
PICS....
IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

The light in the middle is the modded one
IMG_1503.jpg

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Illum!

I've gone through two sets of batteries with it in marine usage. I use it for a navigation light on early morning fishing trips getting out of the harbors and canals here in So Cal. It's a great flood light with very good medium distance lighting on high. The new low isn't as blinding when trying to tie up and rig up fishing gear. Again, great for on the boat use so far with no corrosion with contact with the saltwater environment. Temps stay at acceptable levels and works great as a hand warmer in the early mornings.

This is my favorite light for most outdoor activities now. I EDC an EX10, but if it weren't for the A2's length, this light would be in my pocket all the time!

Machete God

Enlightened
Great stuff! Stumbled on this thread while looking for a way to disassemble my Aviator tailcap for cleaning. Looks like there isn't a way without breaking something :mecry:

Anyway, I like how you fixed the broken button end with a button head screw and counter sunk it, the final product looks like it was always meant to be! :hitit:

N2rockets

Newly Enlightened
Gotta dig this thread up again!

In your first picture on Page 1, where did you get the Orange o-rings or washers that are embedded in the other L1 bezels you have? I have been wanting to do something similar for a long time but cannot find an acceptable solution! I keep coming across your picture as the example for what I am trying to accomplish!! They are exactly what I need!

Thanks for the help!

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Those were ordered through deal extreme several years ago. I don't know if they're still available since I haven't ordered from them in such a long time.

Gotta dig this thread up again!

In your first picture on Page 1, where did you get the Orange o-rings or washers that are embedded in the other L1 bezels you have? I have been wanting to do something similar for a long time but cannot find an acceptable solution! I keep coming across your picture as the example for what I am trying to accomplish!! They are exactly what I need!

Thanks for the help!