Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
While selfish admittedly, i was glad they went hi/lo as the light is an ID tool for use w/ my EDC pistol/s.

agreed. appears based on some comments that they've simply lost sight of fact that this is a purpose-driven model. plenty of variable setting offerings out there for general day-to-day use, etc.; sf and otherwise, which was never the intent of backup line...

DAN92

Enlightened
My Surefire E1B Backup MaxVision.

surefi16.jpg

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice!!! Did yours come in a brown box also? Wonder if Surefire is going to do that or just for the earlier ones

I ordered mine directly from Surefire so I guess I can let you know.

How are you liking the light so far?

DAN92

Enlightened
Very nice!!! Did yours come in a brown box also? Wonder if Surefire is going to do that or just for the earlier ones

I ordered mine directly from Surefire so I guess I can let you know.

How are you liking the light so far?
Thanks JPA' ;), It is also a brown box.

The beam is broad and powerful, the tint is a little white/greenish, but I'm used with my other Surefire.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Backup series was greatly in need of a broader beam pattern. I never understood the purpose of a one cell pocket light that compresses 200 lm into a space laser death ray. Generally, I need my edc light for closer tasks and I have larger, dedicated thrower type lights for distance applications. The new E1B MV is a welcome change, but I agree with Kamerat. This new light is too much like a Malkoff MD2 or an Elzetta Alpha, both of which are substantially cheaper and have fully potted electronics.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed my dealer warehouse has 1 in stock..not sure if I want to buy. Even at dealer cost. I kicked it around for a bit. If it had a 10 or 15 lumen low I would probably get one. 5 is just pointless to me. To low for normal tasks and too bright for moonlight..i would rather it be a single mode.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
So got my E1B MV and do I love this light! So compact and such a smooth flood light. My new favorite edc light!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed my dealer warehouse has 1 in stock..not sure if I want to buy. Even at dealer cost. I kicked it around for a bit. If it had a 10 or 15 lumen low I would probably get one. 5 is just pointless to me. To low for normal tasks and too bright for moonlight..i would rather it be a single mode.

Same here. Am debating between this and the new aviator.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The Backup series was greatly in need of a broader beam pattern. I never understood the purpose of a one cell pocket light that compresses 200 lm into a space laser death ray. Generally, I need my edc light for closer tasks and I have larger, dedicated thrower type lights for distance applications. The new E1B MV is a welcome change ....

Just to present a different perspective on the original E1B ....

I used one of these for years precisely because there were very few other quality options for a small compact robust "thrower" flashlight.

Of course, given the tight beam profile, I also carried a diffuser for those times I wanted a floodier beam.

My E1B has since been replaced with a LensLight Mini, which has an adjustable beam shape.

There is no similar lack of choices for small floody flashlights like the E1B-MV (including many competing alternatives with triple optics) , and no easy way to change its floody textured reflector beam into a narrow spot, so it is a less compelling update for me :shrug:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's legitimate. I would not have considered a diffuser, since I thought Surefire's diffusers only fit larger lights.

Just to present a different perspective on the original E1B ....

I used one of these for years precisely because there were very few other quality options for a small compact robust "thrower" flashlight.

Of course, given the tight beam profile, I also carried a diffuser for those times I wanted a floodier beam.

My E1B has since been replaced with a LensLight Mini, which has an adjustable beam shape.

There is no similar lack of choices for small floody flashlights like the E1B-MV (including many competing alternatives with triple optics) , and no easy way to change its floody textured reflector beam into a narrow spot, so it is a less compelling update for me :shrug: