Surefire E1E, what drop in LED?

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
:shakehead

I have been EDCing an E1e with Lumens Factory EO-E1R and wow let me tell ya, that thing has some power(and throw!)

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think SureFire might do well to make an LED version of the E1E without the TIR optic, and with a relatively low output and warm-tinted emitter and an OP reflector for long runtime, say a 15-20 torch lumens light with a nice compromise beam pattern and maybe 8-9 hours of regulated runtime. I think this would be a dandy camping, night hiking, general outdoor light. Simple, rugged, and affordable (by SureFire standards.)

The little single cell light is always going to be outclassed as a pocket rocket, and we've already got the E1L, E1B, and TLS heads for folks who want max output or, two levels of light, or the throwy TIR beams, with loooooong runtimes on the low end.

I got a chance to take my new E1E outdoors the other night, and when you're in the woods, in the dark, and there isn't any light pollution, even the lowly E1E puts out more light than is needed with the stock MN01 lamp, in a nice beam with surpisingly good throw, and useful spill. The only problem is the short runtime. So maybe a simple warm LED version of the light would be a good idea.

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
I would think SureFire might do well to make an LED version of the E1E without the TIR optic, and with a relatively low output and warm-tinted emitter and an OP reflector for long runtime, say a 15-20 torch lumens light with a nice compromise beam pattern and maybe 8-9 hours of regulated runtime. I think this would be a dandy camping, night hiking, general outdoor light. Simple, rugged, and affordable (by SureFire standards.)

+1

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately, I've found that the little E1e with a Lumens Factory EO or HO lamp, driven by an RCR123 li-ion makes for a wonderful light indeed... if only single output.

Agree that Surefire should make an LED/reflector to fit in the E1e head that can be powered by up to 4.2v (li-ion is a superb rechargeable power source for this little light). I've stopped buying Surefire lights, in part because most of them can't be powered by li-ions and using/tossing primaries is such a waste... plus, most of the time once you've used a primary a little bit, you're working with w partially worn out cell. With a li-ion, you can start every day charged fresh-up! Surefire's missing a big boat in my view by refusing to make lights that can compete with the wide multi-levels and multi-power sources of Quarks, Nitecores, etc.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately, I've found that the little E1e with a Lumens Factory EO or HO lamp, driven by an RCR123 li-ion makes for a wonderful light indeed... if only single output.

Agree that Surefire should make an LED/reflector to fit in the E1e head that can be powered by up to 4.2v (li-ion is a superb rechargeable power source for this little light). I've stopped buying Surefire lights, in part because most of them can't be powered by li-ions and using/tossing primaries is such a waste... plus, most of the time once you've used a primary a little bit, you're working with w partially worn out cell. With a li-ion, you can start every day charged fresh-up! Surefire's missing a big boat in my view by refusing to make lights that can compete with the wide multi-levels and multi-power sources of Quarks, Nitecores, etc.
All SureFire incandescent lights can be used with li-ions, in fact that's the way most of us incan guys use our SureFires...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
All SureFire incandescent lights can be used with li-ions, in fact that's the way most of us incan guys use our SureFires...
erm...no they cant...

the only one that i believe i read is possible, is the A2. Other than that, use a RCR, and you get :poof:

Crenshaw

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
erm...no they cant...

the only one that i believe i read is possible, is the A2. Other than that, use a RCR, and you get :poof:

Crenshaw
Excuse me, but I believe I know my lights... I have more than 30 SF lights and all my incans are being powered by li-ions. You just have to use the correct lamp assembly.

My M6 has 6xAW RCR123 and an LF HO-M6R. No poof, just pure incan horsepower which is a bless to use. I have 3x C2s with 2xRCR123 and 2x IMR 16340 (one with a P90, other with a HO-9 and other with the brutal P91 in it). I have several G3s and 9Ps all with 2xAW 17500s and their stock lamp asseblies. All my E series are also on li-ions. There are SEVERAL extensive incandescent guides around here-- made by very respected CPF members-- stating the vast compatiblity SF has with li-ion batteries and incan lamp asseblies.

So please tell me, based on what exacly did you say that the A2 is the only SureFire light compatible with rechargable RCRs?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from running a Lumens Fact EO and HO in my E1es, I personally am not interested in incans and this thread is about LEDs.

Last I knew, I couldn't run my "stock" Z2 Combat incan, G2, 6P, nor my stock E2 incan with 4.2v li-ions. These are now happily converted to being hosts for other brand LED lamp modules which run well on 4.2v. These happen to be among Surefire's most widely sold/popular models in incan and LED versions. Do any of these in stock incan or LED version run on li-ions?

And most of the Surefire LED models won't run on li-ions either... rediculous. I am not one to chew through and toss lithium primaries with Surefire lights when there are so many amazingly nice lights on the market that thrive on li-ions. But no matter with Surefires at all really, as the world has offered up a veritable feast of wonderful new LED lights from other makers... we now have an overwhelming bounty of awesome lights from numerous other sources, really. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

xenonk

Enlightened
all my incans are being powered by li-ions. You just have to use the correct lamp assembly.
Same. It makes me feel too guilty using up primaries when I really don't need to. My stock SF lamp assemblies are all safely stored away with little more than a minute of testing run time on them. I've found that even the cheap li-ion P60s over at DX work out rather well and are especially cost effective for beater use.

So please tell me, based on what exacly did you say that the A2 is the only SureFire light compatible with rechargable RCRs?
Lumens Factory is not Surefire, though. I think the crux of the issue is that most people don't expect to require aftermarket parts.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time, I guess it's time for something of an update to this thead... but perhaps many of you already know about this drop-in for the E series lights. I just recently learned of it, myself.

Ku is making an XP-G LED drop-in light module for E-series lights. This LED module is designed to run on input voltage of 2.8v to 6v.... so, two 3v lithium primaries in an E2x body or a single 4.2v li-ion in an E1x body is perfect.

I've got one on order and I'm really eager to see what it does for my E1e, which I have so far been running with a LumensFactory incandescent drop-in. We shall see!

http://velenodesigns.com/html/surefire_e_series_led_drop-in.html

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

They do...it's called the KL4...back in the day, a website sold them as the TL4. (An E1E with the older 100 lumen Lux-V KL4 heads). Nice little pocket rocket...

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
angelofwar... yes, I have a KL4 head and tried it for a while on my E1e bodies. Yes, it is an LED and it gives a broad floody beam. Kind of nice. But it gets hot as hell in short order and has little utility other than indoors. Decent choice, though, if you don't mind monitoring the quick/high heat.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Ku's drop-in does for the E1e. Perhaps great? :thumbsup: Perhaps not. :scowl: Looking forward to finding out.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just poor water on it to keep it cool:party: ... Yeah, those KL4's get notoriously hot...even dangerously...I left one on for abour 15 minutes one time (operating on 2 cells) and could not touch the thing it was so hot.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Last I knew, I couldn't run my "stock" Z2 Combat incan, G2, 6P, nor my stock E2 incan with 4.2v li-ions. These are now happily converted to being hosts for other brand LED lamp modules which run well on 4.2v. These happen to be among Surefire's most widely sold/popular models in incan and LED versions. Do any of these in stock incan or LED version run on li-ions?

So, substituting an aftermarket LED drop in in your SF light is perfectly acceptable, but using a SF P90/P91, or LF lamp assembly with RCR/IMR batteries is taboo?

Hmmmm............whatever.

FWIW, I run my EDC E2E with a LF HO-E2R LA and IMR16340s. I run my EDC Z2 with a LF IMR-9[500 lumens] D26 drop-in on IMR16340's.

BTW, these LA's are 1/2 the price of quality LED drop-ins, and give better color rendition too boot.

YMMV.