Surefire E2E

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
They definitely don't "need" an upgrade. The only thing I noticed was that after my first set of batteries, the white does not seem as "white".

paulr

Flashaholic
The e2e is a classic and led-ifying it sort of misses the point. If you want a led light, buy a led light. If you insist on upgrading an e2e, the best upgrade for it is an a10.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually just got a E2e (hour ago) and it seems like it doesn't need an upgrade.
An upgrade is absolutely not needed at all! All SureFire E Series are perfect as it is. But if you want to use rechargeable batteries, then you must replace the lamp assembly, which is quite easy and cheap.

Cheers.

caltemus

Newly Enlightened
Hate to steal the topic but, the E2e cant use RCR123A's or R17670's out of the box?

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Hate to steal the topic but, the E2e cant use RCR123A's or R17670's out of the box?

No, not directly in it's stock form.
It'll be either underpowered or blown, depending on your rechargeable setup.

caltemus

Newly Enlightened
The 2x AWRCR123 with the HO-E2R seems like the best current option for output to runtime for rechargables, it looks like something to look into in the near future thanks. :)

bestcounsel

Enlightened
I use 2x AWRCR123 with the HO-E2R or EO-E2R on security details where a powerful but yet small light is needed and space/or concealment is need.

No, it can't. But you may use:

One AW 17670 with the Lumens Factory HO-E1R or EO-E1R.

Or

2x AWRCR123 with the HO-E2R or EO-E2R

Or

2x16340 IMR with the IMR-E2.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a Maglite in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?

A powerful LED still cannot beat a stock E2E's 60 lumens incan outdoors.

I beg to differ. Malkoff's M60 throws tighter and further, in my experience.

I just ordered one for my E2e. I've been meaning to try one out for awhile. The EO-E2R is very bright, but sometimes I like to EDC a pocket rocket. In the beamshots I saw awhile back, it smoked a P91, which is no small feat. I don't remember what the P91 was running on batterywise though.
<...>

As a factual correction, I've swapped out my IMR-E2 for a P91; on the same batteries, the P91 is moderately brighter and much throwier, what I wanted in a self-defense light. The IMR-E2 was just not terribly impressive compared to my M60 (if a whole ton smaller). I get a calculated 15 minutes (of batteries; 10 minutes to switch meltdown!) on the IMR-E2 and 8 minutes on the P91. It's like having a ROP-LO in your front pocket. (Is that a Maglite in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?)

The only other upgrade I've used was the MN02 - great nightstand light.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is that a Maglite in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?

I am aware of that, as I have an M60 too (and several other Malkoffs...) But I was not talking about sheer output or throw, I was talking outdoor's performance, which means: maximum color rendering, full contrast, depth perception and the ability to cut through fog, mist, rain or smoke. No LED of any size or class can do that as nicely as a decent incandescent can. I have other lights when I want throw and output, but when I need flawless outdoor's performance in a compact pocket-size light, it's either the E2e or A2 Aviator, hands down.

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
I've decided to leave mine stock for now...other than to buy another Surefire lamp asembly for when this one burns out.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

I suppose our definitions of "outdoors performance" are different. I have a big backyard with lots of trees.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds more like a case of Accute LED Fanboyism Syndrome rather than having different definitions of performance...

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would hope so, it's an LED in a D26 head with an optic, as opposed to a bulb in a D19 sized reflector. The problem with the LED output is that the landscape isn't as detailed. But the warmer tinted versions are getting better.

As a factual correction, I've swapped out my IMR-E2 for a P91; on the same batteries, the P91 is moderately brighter and much throwier, what I wanted in a self-defense light. The IMR-E2 was just not terribly impressive compared to my M60 (if a whole ton smaller). I get a calculated 15 minutes (of batteries; 10 minutes to switch meltdown!) on the IMR-E2 and 8 minutes on the P91. It's like having a ROP-LO in your front pocket. (Is that a Maglite in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?)

The only other upgrade I've used was the MN02 - great nightstand light.

What batteries did you run them on? Both IMR16340's? The beamshots in a previous thread showed the IMR-E2 the clear winner over the P91, which surprised me a lot at the time. But the pictures may have been mislabeled. I know the P91 doesn't have it's full brightness potential on IMR16340's.

knightrider

Enlightened
Loving the MN02 lately in my E2E. It's a great bulb to use - long runtime (2.5 hours), very white (surprisingly), and a good level of light for most things. Outdoors it's great too.

I bet most people just assume that the E2E can't be a good light. It's sad when runtime and ultimate brightness are all that people think about in a light. The more I use my E2E with MN02 and my E1E with MN01 the more I appreciate them. Wish that more people would give them a chance, they'd be surprised that the "old technology" has something to offer them. Everyone should try a high quality incandescent at some point to really know what it's about - and a mini mag or stock mag isn't a high quality incandescent.

Give me an E2E any day in comparison to something overly computerized, circuited and complicated.

Last edited:

Chadder

Enlightened
Just adding my 2 cents here by saying that my my e2e in stock form is still one of my favorite lights. Not to be confused with my most used of course. There is nothing more beautiful than and E2E in natural HA!!