Surefire E2E

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will have to try it sometime, have heard it's frighteningly bright! Now that would be a great defensive light - they'd see spots for awhile!

Certainly its bright! We had discuted it in the Suggestion for incan pocket rocket thread.
There are some beamshots of this setup compared to P91.

E2e + IMR-E2 + 2xIMR16340 = Pocket Wall of light! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Dioni

knightrider

Enlightened
Those beamshots are amazing! Really show what a small light can do. Come summer I think I'll pick up some IMRs and the lamp and give it a try.

That has to be the most insane pocket rocket ever though. Must have...

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
I actually just got a E2e (hour ago) and it seems like it doesn't need an upgrade.

Just got back from the post office and I have the same opinion. It seems Surefire got it quite right with this one, soon to become a favorite and one of my most carried. I don't have duplicates of any flashlight but this may be the first. Beautifully built.

computernut

Enlightened
I've been using a LF HO-E2A and I just popped my MN03 back in to see the difference. I kind of prefer the MN03 as LF bulb has a smaller/brighter hotspot where I usually prefer things to be a little floodier.

I had been using a MN02 but it blew one day. I preferred using it with an F04 because of the tight hotspot though.

I'd like to put in a 17670 with an EO-E1R but I think my body is a candidate for some boring to make one fit.

If the E2E was regulated like my A2 it would be perfect but the E2E is perfect enough for me to use almost everyday.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly its bright! We had discuted it in the Suggestion for incan pocket rocket thread.
There are some beamshots of this setup compared to P91.

E2e + IMR-E2 + 2xIMR16340 = Pocket Wall of light! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Dioni

Thanks for posting that, those were the beamshots I was referring to in my earlier post. To me it looks like the IMR-E2 puts out more or similar overall light, while the P91 beam is a little tighter.

p1-Surefire-E2E-%28LF-IMR-E2%29.jpg

p1-Surefire-G2-%28P91%29.jpg

I'm guessing that the IMR-E2 on a pair of IMR16340's would get smoked vs. a P91 on a pair of IMR18500's though.

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting that, those were the beamshots I was referring to in my earlier post. To me it looks like the IMR-E2 puts out more or similar overall light, while the P91 beam is a little tighter.

I'm guessing that the IMR-E2 on a pair of IMR16340's would get smoked vs. a P91 on a pair of IMR18500's though.

:thumbsup:

I also think that the IMR-E2 puts out a similar overall. Obviously, the bigger reflector of the D26 drop ins can provides a better use of all light produced by bulb.

We need some more comparisons of these bulbs... :whistle: :grin2:

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Here is another thing that people forget about the e2e....it also make a great back up for the size and power. It fits almost anywhere....

I see lots of post about back up lights and i think the e2e is great for that roll....on a duty belt it fits almost anywhere....with a long clip it fits in a back pocket easily...

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mostly LEDs, but really like the incan E-series lights. I use my E1e with the stock bulb, or another with the LF HO-E1A for my "around the house" light, and find it generally does anything I need a light to do indoors. And the beam pattern and tint are just more pleasing to me than any of my LEDs.

I also like the E2E with the stock MN03 lamp, and prefer it to the LF HO-E2A which seems to have a tighter, and somewhat oblong hotspot, which annoys me. The 60 lumens output is plenty bright, comparable to several of my "100 lumen" LEDs. I think the only thing I'd ever do to it is get an MN02 lamp for camping use, and if it will take a 17670 cell, then get a LF HO-E1R for the extended runtime and rechargeability.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mostly LEDs, but really like the incan E-series lights. I use my E1e with the stock bulb, or another with the LF HO-E1A for my "around the house" light, and find it generally does anything I need a light to do indoors. And the beam pattern and tint are just more pleasing to me than any of my LEDs.

I also like the E2E with the stock MN03 lamp, and prefer it to the LF HO-E2A which seems to have a tighter, and somewhat oblong hotspot, which annoys me. The 60 lumens output is plenty bright, comparable to several of my "100 lumen" LEDs. I think the only thing I'd ever do to it is get an MN02 lamp for camping use, and if it will take a 17670 cell, then get a LF HO-E1R for the extended runtime and rechargeability.
+1

That's exactly what I do to most of my E series

copperfox

Enlightened
I also love my E2E with the stock lamp. A while back I tried using the HO-E2R and the EO-E2R in an attempt to start using rechargeables. Unfortunately, both had an oblong hotspot that disappointed me, so I sold them.

Does anyone know if the xx-E1R lamp has this oblong hotspot too?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my incan E2x's!

I have a E2D that is a sentinal in my sock drawer along with an expanding baton. An E2e is attached to my casual about town torso pack. I have an E2O with a with a twisty switch that I only use when travelling over seas. I've also got a E2x (E2e head, E2 body, and a very short non-lockout twisty tailcap) that practically vanishes in my pocket. The last two mentioned are sporting MN02 LAs.

paulr

Flashaholic
For those of you talking about home defense and other tactical applications, why do you care about runtime in the slightest? How many minutes do you expect your tactical encounter to last, especially if you're only using the light in momentary bursts during such an encounter? Surefire's premier tactical handhelds use HOLA lamps with ridiculously short runtime (like 10 minutes in the case of the M4) because flashlight runtime is the last thing any one cares about when hot lead is flying through the air :eek:. Runtime is of more concern for those multifunction led lights with "tacticool" styling but are actually mostly purchased for other uses.

Keep in mind also that a tactical incan light will put a lot more photons out the front than almost any LED light of comparable size. No, not more lumens, just more photons. Most of the incan photons will be invisible (infrared) so they contribute zero to the lumen count, but are still of potential relevance to a tactical user who uses the light to disorient the opponent, rather than to illuminate stuff. To get a slight experience of the effect, point a TV remote at your own face from close range (arm's length) and give it a few clicks.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is that a Maglite in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?

I would hope so, it's an LED in a D26 head with an optic, as opposed to a bulb in a D19 sized reflector. The problem with the LED output is that the landscape isn't as detailed. But the warmer tinted versions are getting better.

What batteries did you run them on? Both IMR16340's? The beamshots in a previous thread showed the IMR-E2 the clear winner over the P91, which surprised me a lot at the time. But the pictures may have been mislabeled. I know the P91 doesn't have it's full brightness potential on IMR16340's.

Sorry it took two years to get back to you!

Yes, I used a pair of AW "red label" IMRs.

The IMR-E2 may be clearly the winner up close, but I really wanted something with reach, and spill that wouldn't blind me with ground-scatter. Also, I had a way better holster from Wilson Combat for the G2Z than is offered for the E2 head, which is probably the real deciding factor. Maybe someday I'll make an E2Z for myself on a lathe, then make a leather-kydex-laminate holster from scratch, but today is not that day.

Also, I suspect the supply of E2 bulbs may have dried up by that time. :(

I also suspect that my compulsively keeping the IMRs topped up helped the P91 in the comparison.

Just adding my 2 cents here by saying that my my e2e in stock form is still one of my favorite lights. Not to be confused with my most used of course. There is nothing more beautiful than and E2E in natural HA!!

It's really got a certain je ne sais quois.

Just got back from the post office and I have the same opinion. It seems Surefire got it quite right with this one, soon to become a favorite and one of my most carried. I don't have duplicates of any flashlight but this may be the first. Beautifully built.

I have been accused of being an LED fanboy - while this may be true, the E2 platform is the only light I own in triplicate. (Aftermarket pineapple body, E2, E2E) Plus loose spare parts.

For those of you talking about home defense and other tactical applications, why do you care about runtime in the slightest? How many minutes do you expect your tactical encounter to last, especially if you're only using the light in momentary bursts during such an encounter? (snip)

Not really. I want ten minutes' runtime in case the cells have suffered a little self discharge or got used occasionally to test the bulb; I don't want to immediately recharge them because hot-off-the-charger cells stress incan bulbs. I want at least 120 continuous seconds before risking a meltdown, though. Word of advice: Never run a P90 down on a pair of IMR123 cells in a nitrolon body. You'll soften the casing, dent the tail, and wreck the heat shrink. :banghead:

Last edited:

batman

Enlightened

Slightly unrelated question, but when you tighten the bezel down all the way on an E2E should the pocket clip ride right in the center of the flat anti-roll bezel surface?

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened

Well, after finding this thread I dug out my mostly unused e2e and just ordered a MN02 25 lumen bulb. I've always wanted one to see how it looks on a nice dark night. I walk my dog each night for about 20 minutes or so. I just can't get myself to use the stock bulb due to the short run time vs battery costs. Sort of like using the wrong tool for the job type of thing I guess. I did put a KL1 LED head on it and found it to be a beautiful flawless white flood beam that is almost too bright when its aimed a few feet down the road. (is it possible to be too bright?) ha So I'm looking forward to going back to incan with over two hours run time. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Last edited:

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened

update; I realize this thread was started 2 years ago and that the MN02 bulb is old news by todays standards, but I finally bought one. What a nice useable bulb for an e2e. The throw and hot spot seem almost as bright as the MN03..just a little less side spill. There is plenty of spill/flood to be useable. My driveway is aprox. 60ft and it lights up across the street easy. Out back in the woods it is awesome. I think these bulbs may become hard to find as time goes on....I say.get one soon.

cm_mtb

Enlightened

Slightly unrelated question, but when you tighten the bezel down all the way on an E2E should the pocket clip ride right in the center of the flat anti-roll bezel surface?

Mine is slightly off center.

update; I realize this thread was started 2 years ago and that the MN02 bulb is old news by todays standards, but I finally bought one. What a nice useable bulb for an e2e. The throw and hot spot seem almost as bright as the MN03..just a little less side spill. There is plenty of spill/flood to be useable. My driveway is aprox. 60ft and it lights up across the street easy. Out back in the woods it is awesome. I think these bulbs may become hard to find as time goes on....I say.get one soon.

The MN02 is one of my favorite bulbs. I have two, but I'm still looking for deals on extras. Also, the F04 diffuser pairs nicely with the MN02.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened

The MN02 is one of my favorite bulbs. I have two, but I'm still looking for deals on extras. Also, the F04 diffuser pairs nicely with the MN02.[/QUOTE]

Thanks cm mtb I will research the F04 just to see. Right now, I want to use it as is...love it.