SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

Djroulette

Newly Enlightened
I have been unable to find a picture of the EDCl2-t next to a eb2 Backup. Anyone have one to compare differences in size?

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Took me awhile to notice the upgrade, advancement or evolution of the EB1/2. I'll try to be brief. I hate the Backup in black. But in silver or tan, it is awesome. Silver makes it seem like it goes in your expensive SLR camera case, tucked in the pocket next to your Leika backup shooter, or in the glove box of your new "007-silver" BMW M5. Tan makes it look like what Luke Skywalker might pull out for auxiliary light when outfitted in a desert version of what he and Rogue Squadron wore on Hoth, edit, no wait, it goes with what he and Leah wore on the Forest Moon of Endor, probably with an unavailable green Surefire recoil-proof filter.

Why only black anno for the Tactician and EDCL1/2-T?

I want them in Backup silver and especially in Backup desert tan.
And Jungle Camo!

I used to be all about it, but I guess now I'm over black. The other annos are more interesting.

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took me awhile to notice the upgrade, advancement or evolution of the EB1/2. I'll try to be brief. I hate the Backup in black. But in silver or tan, it is awesome. Silver makes it seem like it goes in your expensive SLR camera case, tucked in the pocket next to your Leika backup shooter, or in the glove box of your new "007-silver" BMW M5. Tan makes it look like what Luke Skywalker might pull out for auxiliary light when outfitted in a desert version of what he and Rogue Squadron wore on Hoth, edit, no wait, it goes with what he and Leah wore on the Forest Moon of Endor, probably with an unavailable green Surefire recoil-proof filter.

Why only black anno for the Tactician and EDCL1/2-T?

I want them in Backup silver and especially in Backup desert tan.
And Jungle Camo!

I used to be all about it, but I guess now I'm over black. The other annos are more interesting.

Are you willing to pay significantly more for a different finish? the EDCLs came out cheaper than the previous lights by quite a margin, adding new finishes would add cost and time to set it up for different run and the black ones would be more expensive too to shoulder some of the cost of having multiple colors.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Are you willing to pay significantly more for a different finish? the EDCLs came out cheaper than the previous lights by quite a margin, adding new finishes would add cost and time to set it up for different run and the black ones would be more expensive too to shoulder some of the cost of having multiple colors.

Fair point, that the new lights are way more reasonably priced MSRP than previous lights in the family, and that must not be ignored, that it is relief, given pricing history. However, though no doubt a single anno color has some bearing on cost, it is premature to suggest, if I may exaggerate your insinuation, "these are $100+ less because they are passing the savings of running a single color on to the customer." What would the price really be if they had 3 or 4 different annos? $350?!? That's kind of what you seem to be suggesting, plz correct me if I am putting words in your mouth, & sry.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
So I received my new Surefire EDCL-2T yesterday. Just a few thoughts/observations

1. As others have said, the low mode is much more than the stated 5 lumens. I am happy about that though, as I find it to be a very useful output, and is more than enough light for most tasks.

2. The Two-stage tailcap (not sure why others are calling it "gas pedal") is quite a bit mushier than the tailcaps on my A2 Aviators. It feels like one has to press down harder on this tailcap. Not quite as good as the A2's tailcap, but still quite acceptable.

3. The tint on my sample is nice and white on low and high, no green.

I have read through this thread and don't believe I've seen anyone comment on long the actual runtime on high is using primaries. I am quite curious. Once these cells that came with it are depleted, I may sacrifice a set and see how long it actually will run.

Also, being as though this light is designed to work with 6 volts (2 CR123's), how has it been determined that it is safe to run two 16340's in it? Is this not overdriving the LED hard?

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I have been unable to find a picture of the EDCl2-t next to a eb2 Backup. Anyone have one to compare differences in size?

msYrBFK.jpg

Djroulette

Newly Enlightened
Are the clips the same? I have issues with the eb2 clip breaking. I know someone has probably brought that up but there are a ton of post to read through.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
And, it appears to me that the optics are the same but the emitters are different. The EB2 has an emitter with a smaller die and gives a tight spotlight beam. The EDCL-2T LED has a larger die with a broader, brighter and whiter beam.

Will the EDCL-2C clicky ever be produced? :sssh:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Why would anyone want to swap a perfect UI tailcap like the two stage for a clicky? :shakehead

I'm still trying to figure out why running two lithium ions in a light rated for 6V is a good idea.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair point, that the new lights are way more reasonably priced MSRP than previous lights in the family, and that must not be ignored, that it is relief, given pricing history. However, though no doubt a single anno color has some bearing on cost, it is premature to suggest, if I may exaggerate your insinuation, "these are $100+ less because they are passing the savings of running a single color on to the customer." What would the price really be if they had 3 or 4 different annos? $350?!? That's kind of what you seem to be suggesting, plz correct me if I am putting words in your mouth, & sry.

Only surefire knows the true material cost, but in any manufacturing process, the cost is far more than just the material used.

If you make a total of 10000 units, you set up once and scrap rate improves the more units you make and by the end you have the process down.

If you make 2 batches of 5000 each with different color, you double the set up cost or retooling the machines involved in anondizing, and the first units of the 2nd batch will be much more susceptible to defect that need rework. You would also have to pay workers more to do the set up, plus the downtime that you are not making any units setting up the 2nd batch and getting it up to speed.

Then you have to buy the raw material in smaller quantities which brings per unit price up.

Then you have to decide how many of each to make. Do you do 50/50? 30/70? You risk retailers not wanting one of them and have to sit on inventory.

But I'm sure you can get a much more accurate picture talking to Surefire and see if it's possible, after all they do make special runs from time to time and if there is enough interest and people are willing to pay for what they consider is a fair premium for their trouble, I am sure they will consider it.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Why wouldn't you? They work fine.

Because the light is designed to run 6V, not 8.3 volts. You say they work fine, but I would be concerned that the lifespan of the LED is being reduced. I want someone to come along and explain WHY it's ok to run lithium ions in this light. I have two IMR 16430's sitting over there that I would love to throw in this light. But until someone explains to me why it's safe to do, I'm gonna stick with these primaries for now.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, as I've discussed in detail previously on this thread, I've run both protected and unprotected 16340 IMR's in the EDCL-2T for several months now with good results. They come off the Nitecore D4 charger at 4.2 volts.

I'm saving my primaries for Y3K. :)

Latest posts