Surefire EDCL1-T

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may explain why I don't like twisty UI. First of all I have simulated it with a Fury (switch is on, cap untwisted). Even with silicone grease applied the tail cap is tight enough to not make positive and precise contact every time. Sometimes I get unreliable connection with a blinking light (this is why I need two hands) — not so nice.

Next point — a clip of the EDCL1-T does touch a tail cap. As a result of many twists the tail cap will gain an ugly circular scratch on its surface — not so nice.

One more issue: aluminum is not the best example of wear resistance. With time a tail cap will gain too much play to either untwist loose or to make a contact just being in a pocket — not so nice as well.

Perhaps, these issues do not bother others, but they make difference to me. I'd like the Fury UI much more.

No offence intended but you obviously have no idea or experience with this UI. Trust us, it works really well.
The twist is smooth as can be and would take an extremely long time to wear out, I've heard no reports? Also the button has no click lock, it's a simple plunger on a spring which when released turns off. Light press is low, press all the way for high, release off. Once again trust us, it works great. I think you'd have to try it to understand.

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, never had issues with the old LX2 and 6th Gen L1, twisting with one hand became second nature I got used to them real fast using icepick grip and twisting the tailcap using the thumb and index finger.
Most of the time I don't need constant on anyway, so a lot of use is with pressing the button and releasing for momentary on.

I emitter swapped that L1 and used an AW 16340, so I had to recharge often and no issues with wearing down the tailcap threads.
Boy those two lights got some real runtimes with me.

Once the EDCL-1T comes it will no doubt be my favorite.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I may explain why I don't like twisty UI. First of all I have simulated it with a Fury (switch is on, cap untwisted). Even with silicone grease applied the tail cap is tight enough to not make positive and precise contact every time. Sometimes I get unreliable connection with a blinking light (this is why I need two hands) — not so nice.

Next point — a clip of the EDCL1-T does touch a tail cap. As a result of many twists the tail cap will gain an ugly circular scratch on its surface — not so nice.

One more issue: aluminum is not the best example of wear resistance. With time a tail cap will gain too much play to either untwist loose or to make a contact just being in a pocket — not so nice as well.

Perhaps, these issues do not bother others, but they make difference to me. I'd like the Fury UI much more.

I respectfully think that you may be mistaken in some of your points.

You are not simulating it if you have a clicky light. There is no switch is on, cap is untwisted on a twisty light. On a twisty, you are using momentary on via the push button, not by clicking a switch and then twisting back and forth for momentary on. So, the blinking light and non reliable connection is not something that occurs.

I can't say if the clip touches or rubs, as I don't own one. But, it does not seem to be an issue on my LX2 with similar clip and UI.

I've used an LX2 every day (actual lighting tasks not just sitting in pocket) since they were first released, and never had any issue with aluminum wear. My threads are not even greased. It seems to me that most of the time you are using this style light, you are using the momentary on switch and only twisting it to the on position every now and again. And when you do, you don't continue to twist it on and off. You leave it there until your lighting needs are done.

I think you might just be slightly unaware of how the UI in a twisty like this actually works. Again, not being condescending. Just trying to help out.

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
Years ago, I also hated the twisty. I didn't understand it. I though a clicky just made much more sense. I had limited experience with a twisty. Then I bought an A2 aviator incan with the twisty cap. Carried it every day. Used it daily. Learned what the fuss was about, and more importantly, WHY the twisty is a superior tactical light. You see, years ago, I didn't need a tactical light. I wasn't tactically minded. Then after becoming a police officer and receiving training, to include real life in your face training on the mean streets of a large urban city, I learned the value of a high-quality, tactical light. There really is nothing better than a Surefire two stage twisty tailcap for tactical use.

I understand that the vast majority of folks have no desire or need for a real tactical light. They need a general purpose light. And the clicky works perfect for those folks.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, if you don't need a real deal tactical light, then don't buy one, and don't complain about it features, if thats not what you need. Buy something else more purpose built for you.

Look at the new Surefire Tactician. Purpose built to the specs of a guy who lives, eats, sleeps,and breaths tactical training. He chose a twisty, non-clicky tail cap. Press for on, let go for off. Twist for constant on. It's a purpose built tool.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, never had issues with the old LX2 and 6th Gen L1, twisting with one hand became second nature I got used to them real fast using icepick grip and twisting the tailcap using the thumb and index finger.
Most of the time I don't need constant on anyway, so a lot of use is with pressing the button and releasing for momentary on.

I emitter swapped that L1 and used an AW 16340, so I had to recharge often and no issues with wearing down the tailcap threads.
Boy those two lights got some real runtimes with me.

Once the EDCL-1T comes it will no doubt be my favorite.

I often even use the twisty in the standard grip (output end close to thumb) using the same basic technique to twist on or off as in the tactical grip. Instead of gripping the body with my palm and using thumb and index on the tail cap, gripping the tail cap with my palm (and other fingers) and thumb and index to twist the body. No need for two hands in either grip and just as easy in either grip (more so with a 2x cell body).
As noted the main asset of this UI is the momentary button.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Years ago, I also hated the twisty. I didn't understand it. I though a clicky just made much more sense. I had limited experience with a twisty. Then I bought an A2 aviator incan with the twisty cap. Carried it every day. Used it daily. Learned what the fuss was about, and more importantly, WHY the twisty is a superior tactical light. You see, years ago, I didn't need a tactical light. I wasn't tactically minded. Then after becoming a police officer and receiving training, to include real life in your face training on the mean streets of a large urban city, I learned the value of a high-quality, tactical light. There really is nothing better than a Surefire two stage twisty tailcap for tactical use.

I understand that the vast majority of folks have no desire or need for a real tactical light. They need a general purpose light. And the clicky works perfect for those folks.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, if you don't need a real deal tactical light, then don't buy one, and don't complain about it features, if thats not what you need. Buy something else more purpose built for you.

Look at the new Surefire Tactician. Purpose built to the specs of a guy who lives, eats, sleeps,and breaths tactical training. He chose a twisty, non-clicky tail cap. Press for on, let go for off. Twist for constant on. It's a purpose built tool.

Bravo!! And thank you for helping keep our streets safe.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Received an email from Surefire regarding my EDCL1-T order.

"The items listed below are currently unavailable and have been backordered in accordance with the Backorder Preferences you selected. These items will be shipped as soon as they are available."

No surprises there but I was hoping they would at least give an expected delivery date. :sigh:

Could be into next year at this rate.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
My flashlight guy said he will have some of the new surefires when i dropped off a few microtechs for service. He said a week and half, its been a week im sure. Ill go see whats what tomorrow.

megam

Newly Enlightened
FYI, just got off the phone with Surefire, they say the EDCL2-T's candela is 25,000 and that they don't have runtime regulation info. I assume regulation is P3X-like, since 1,200 is unsustainable on 2xCR123A, which means we're actually talking 12,500 candela with a brief 2x burst. Assuming same LED and optics, that puts the EDCL1-T at 5,200 candela + burst.

For those who don't know, the LX2 did 10,000 candela for a real 1.5 hours on 2xCR123A. No burst, only 200 lumens, but thanks to dim spill it still had a medium-sized spot. It was released in 2009.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unverified info from Surefire:

- What about a clicky version of an EDCL1-(C)?
- We shall see :)

Now guess yourself what might that mean ;)

bigfoot

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, man the new lights are gonna just be slaying batteries lol.

Yeah, we can't all be fancy high-speed tacticool operators... Hopefully they release a couple of long-running lights for the power conscious among us. :D

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would rather have a short burst, like 10 to 20 sec, so it doesn't affect runtime too much. I can always reengage those few times I need a longer burst. If they ever make a user programmable light, then burst time is one of those things I would like to configure.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing new, but here is a new picture of the EDCL1-T from Surefire's instagram. (this is again the "prototype" with the EDCLT-1 name)

4BjWRQI.jpg