SureFire Inflation

l2icel3all

Newly Enlightened
Nope! And I never will. :D

(Just the way my brain is hardwired).

BTW, I came in to pick up a Surefire M6 that time. Don't own an E1B Backup.... Maybe if they had some checkering on their slippery barrels.

Heck, I might stop by this weekend. Got a bit of spare cash to toss around. If you still have E1Bs at $110, I might buy one and then sell it for under $149 on B/S/T; when the price goes up.... Oh wait, I'm a nice guy. :sigh:

Meh, might still drop by, see what you guys got.

Lets keep that our little secret. The E1B is still $110. We have 101 of them in stock so buy as many as you want and then drop em off at B/S/T LOL :crackup::twothumbs

SureAddicted

Enlightened
As was pointed out read post 13 in this one:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2168938

OpticsHQ is a big Surefire dealer and respected member here. If he says they are going up that's good enough for me.

I guess we will only have proof when they are up and we go to order something and get disappointed at the price. I guess no one has to believe this if they don't want but I appreciate the heads up :thumbsup:

Like I said before, If you hear it from the horses mouth, fair enough. My SF dealer doesn't know anything about a price increase, sf should start communicating with their distributors, he still doesn't have any E1B's, or E2DL's. September huh...lol.

EDIT I apologize if it sounded like an allegation, it wasn't my intention.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
SureAddicted, that is uncomfortably close to an allegation of sharp/dishonest practice by a respected dealer. Please edit that part of your post to remove the offending imputation.

Edit: Thanks for doing that.

Last edited:

TJx

Newly Enlightened
Just for fun I calculated the percent of retail I had for my SF's.
(Easy to do with a Mac outliner program I've got)
24 SureFires either bought new or in mint condition, I paid 58% of retail.
Good deals can be found!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like a 6PL, but even at it's current price it's a bit rich for me.

Sucks to be a frugal flashaholic :ohgeez:

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...look at the bright side...folks who own Surfires an sell them for more. And buy Fenix`s :poke::eek::touche::banned::lolsign:

I guess Surfire sales are down...so they need to up the price per unit to keep the ship running smooth. Maybe the new ones will have brighter bulbs...35% brighter :rolleyes: When are those new model Surefires going to hit the stores :thinking:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure SureFire consulted with economists to ensure the increased prices won't decrease demand too much.

Unfortunately for those who have limited budgets, this will be a hard increase to absorb. Unless this is for a critical need like a LEO job or security job, a SureFire purchase would be a luxury that some could not afford.

It will be interesting to see the elasticity of demand based upon the price increase.

This is a very interesting case study because consumers are pulling back spending, except for essential needs like food, gas, clothing, etc. I wonder if this price increase over the long term will hold, in the face of reduced consumer spending, increased competition from other light manufacturers, etc...

ozner1991

Enlightened
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :mecry:

i just wanted to start buying surefire lights :sigh: just my luck

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Rules of demand under price increase may not apply to SF if their main chunk of income comes from government sales and not from the average Joe consumer; especially when our military is fighting two fronts, I'm sure the DOD won't even feel the pinch. I don't think SF had a large market in law enforcement agencies to begin with, but with like specialized units, since they are small the budget can cover the needed goodies. (just my opinion)

Last edited:

hokoman

Newly Enlightened
what's funny, and i'm surprised that no one has mentioned is... is that most people who buy a surefire (like me recently - 2 actually, one l1 and waiting for milky to send me an l1 modified) didn't know what the prices were for them a year ago... only if you're a flash-a-holic would you know the price increases.

very similar to retail... how many of you knew that the heart tag bracelet from tiffany and company retailed for $115 in 2003? it's $195 now. a louis vuitton cabas piano handbag was $525 in 2005, now it's $1040. if you were shopping for your significant other, would you realize that you paid a premium?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...the question is...are we going to do anything about it...Is this why the Chinese are taking over...American companies raise thier prices to the point of breaking us...American greed. :broke::broke: I say we ban Surefire from these threads...no mention of thier name shall be posted. :thumbsdow:thumbsdow When their willing to bring the prices back down we will talk about them again. :kiss::kiss:

:ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez:Yea...like thats going to happen...but they are going to loose at least a few sales from the poorer of our members...like me...

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, some companies are starting to relocate production facilities back to the US because prices overseas are getting too competitive and the cost of shipping is horrible.

Further, in all honestly us private citizens are a drop in the bucket for Surefire - if I understand correctly the gross majority of their business is police and military.

Also, I personally don't mind paying the extra $$ - I honestly feel that many of their lights are UNDERPRICED ($110 for an E1B is a steal) when you take into consideration their build quality, but even more so, their engineering, research and development - this is where the profit goes. This is why the UB2 and UB2 are taking forever - they wont release them until they are perfect and $ is needed to recoup this effort.

Just a noobs perspective (who thoroughly enjoys surefire).

Last edited:

Greggles

Newly Enlightened
Rules of demand under price increase may not apply to SF if their main chunk of income comes from government sales and not from the average Joe consumer; especially when our military is fighting two fronts, I'm sure the DOD won't even feel the pinch. (just my opinion)

I thought for some time that Surefire brought most of their income in from military sales, and that civilian sales and marketing were more brand awareness efforts. More recently, I've noticed them branch out into more traditional retailers like Lowes and REI, where such price increases should result in more obvious demand elasticity (I think).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what percentage Surefire sells to gov't vs. Joe Consumer?

My father has owned and operated a small machine shop for the past 35 years, specializing in oil field and hydraulic small parts, much of which is aluminum. I showed him a 6P a few years ago and asked him how much he could machine one for. I was shocked at the actual pricing he came up with when dealing in large batches (of course he couldn't price the lense or lamp module).

Of course prices are going up for barstock, cutting tools, lubricants, etc... But if these rumored price increases come to fruition, I suspect they will be driven by increases in the soft costs. Advertising, warranty costs, insurance, regulatory costs, legal costs, etc, etc, etc. There is so much extra cost being layered into american businesses that it's surprising that we can compete at all. The only way my father has stayed in business has been to stay small and flexible, and located convenient to the businesses buying his product.

Of course, I've never opened Surefire's books and done a case study on their finances, so I could be completely wrong. ;)

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, does someone mention REAL reasons for the price inflation ?

I mean... they´re already expensive as hell (but they are good lights), but now they´re going to be more expensive ??

Oh, c´mon!! That´s not reasonable!

Maybe SF can open a small factory in China... and move the E2DL, the E1B and the Invictus line of production for China.