Surefire K2 KROMA & KROMA Milspec

Draz

Newly Enlightened
Yea I have an RMA and am shipping the Kroma off today, but here are some of my points on the reviews.

1. The 50 lumen is plenty of light for the average person. I have never had anything stronger than a L4, so 50 lumens with throw is spot on for myself.

2. The high red is very nice at lighting entire rooms as well as the high blue, the low counterparts are good like everyone said...ie. rumaging around in tents or navigating to the bathroom in total darkness or just simply "playing" with. It does have tons of "playing" time.

3. Low white is comparable to the new generation Inova X1's imho, perhaps just tad dimmer.

Now for the Ugly

4. It has an UGLY square beam at close up due to the TIR and has its share of freaky artifacts:shrug: I have heard of others as well as mine having dust and what looks like fibers or perhaps very very small scratches on the TIR visible only when light is one. Mine had a smudge on it before the damn adhesive was even broken ....

5. The selector ring will "strip" very easily from what I have seen, I was taking off a rather tight mind you bezel to clean dust from the inside and my hand slipped and totally murdered the ring. I can't tell if I actually like it better when it spins freely or when it works and stops on each mode. I can deal with the "loose" ring, makes one handed operation easier. I called surefire and since the modes are activated by a magnet, the stripped selector ring should not pose a problem unless you want the "bumps". I actually can deal with it being like the U2 and smooth.

6. Water proof up to 33 meters or whatever SF says doesn't apply to my Kroma..I can't say for others. After I replaced the o-ring that broke the first time I changed batteries and after the replacing of the o-rings underneath the lense it stil leaks water...bad actually. Sumerging it for any more than 30 secs invites water into the tail cap, head threads, and under the lense. I have replaced the ladder 2 o-rings so perhaps its user error but the tail cap 0-ring is still in perfect shape and loves letting water into the light.

*EDIT* I can admit when I'm wrong, as of now I lubed everything up real good with some gun grease(only thing I had at the time) after cleaning the left over adhesive and gunk out and it appears to be once again water proof, will keep ya posted on that

7. I'm sending my new Kroma off today to surefire and I pray I get a Surefire quality light back. The ring was my fault but the o-rings and the dust and "crap" that finds it way under the lense constantly is on them.

*EDIT* Not gonna send it off now, will wait to see if the stripped selector ring poses a problem with reliability or the water problem arises again. Sides, I dont wanna wait to have it back...mine had a few problems but I LOVE IT

Besides the problems....The Kroma is a bad *** light, fun as hell to play with and very handy. I highly recomend it..just be carefull with the Selector ring and I hope yours has a clean and nice TIR lense.

Last edited:

Draz

Newly Enlightened
Decided to do a new post instead of editing the last post again;)

Got the new Kroma in from Surefire after only 12 days round trip:party:

Unlilke the old one when I press the tail cap for "high" white, it stays on after I depress it if a color is selected. I didn't remember my old one doing that. Took it for a night walk with the wife and dog through a dim light citylike street, low blue was the best overall light imho. Bright blue was blinding on the road, low red was almost not there and high red just didn't look to good for me. Low white or low blue with a couple of street lights here and there was awesome. Never needed to use "high" white unless we were goofing and shinning it at house or just down the street.

The kroma is a great overall light and has been proven to be so over and over again. Kinda hard to justify the 300 dollar price tag, specially when a A2 is much cheaper, but if you can afford one...go for it, it's a nice hunk of metal:grin2: The problems with my last one was mostly due to human error, but surefire sent me a brand new one and everything is working great so far.

Dave63

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how the Kroma compares to the Smith & Wesson Powertech Galaxy 28 LED Flash-Lights?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
well im not familiar with that light, but after reading a little about it and seeing pictures, it is not quite like the Kroma. of course the S&W is inexpensive. you can buy a whole bunch.

But playing with my Kroma and Turbo Kroma, it is a thing of beauty. I was luckily enough to not pay retail on them. $177 shipped for the Kroma and thanks to CURSE for the Turbo kroma at only $380. Nearly the price of a regular kroma at retail.

anyway the bigges difference is the TIR optic. that really focuses the light to a nice hotspot. I blinded my neighbor the other day as he was playing a joke on me when i was in my basement. Our basements share a common hallway in our townhouse. my door was cracked open and my back was turned to the door. he peeks in and whispers somethign inaudible. so i didnt know what it was, I quickly turned around with Kroma already in hand, and blasted him right in the face. it was hilarious. he was moaning in agony haha.

Anyway the UI of the Kroma is something you need to get used to. But looking at the S&W, I am a firm believer in tailcap switches. it is always there for access. no need to fiddle with the light to find the switch. now given that the kroma has a selector ring, I dont like the way it is designed. I much prefer the selector switch of the Gladius by blackhawk. it is all contained in the tailcap. I realize this makes for a more complicated system, but that is the for the designers and engineers to figure out. All I care about is ease of use. and the gladius is great. But so is my kroma. I just wish it had a clicky design to it in full production and not just prototyped.

but going back to your question, I think the Kroma is better and brighter. easier to use in the dark cause the the location of the tailcap switch.

Dave63

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I was mostly wondering how the beam compared (Kroma Vs. Smith and Wesson 28 LED Galaxy). I have the S&W and find it a little weak on the main (white) beam. I don't have any idea how many lumans it puts out though as there doesn't seem to be any written data anywhere. I like the multi color functionality so was thinking of getting the Kroma if it would prove to be a more powerfull light.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im almost positive it will be more powerful. The full white of a kroma is very concentrated. I would prefer a little more spill on the light. I guess that is why DaFAB modded his with a reflector and took out the optic.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Personally, I think the white Lux beam of the Kroma is under-appreciated. I bought a K2MS mainly to try a Surefire with all the colors and such. I was pleasantly suprised, and I don't understand why there hasn't been more talk on CPF about the main beam.

It throws very nicely, and the beam and the two levels are very similar to the L1 Cree.

Im almost positive it will be more powerful. The full white of a kroma is very concentrated. I would prefer a little more spill on the light. I guess that is why DaFAB modded his with a reflector and took out the optic.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
curse -- Congratulations, Sir, for performing such an incredibly thorough, labor-instensive review! I'm looking forward to reading your future posts. :thanks:

-Clive

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
any idea if Surefire changed the emitter for the 150 lumen Milspec? I have the old non-MILSPEC 50 lumen Kroma and I'm assuming it's one of those old Lux III emitters if I had to guess, but what are they putting in current MILSPEC Kromas to get 150 lumens? XP-G?

edit: I realize this is an aged-to-perfection (old) thread but I didn't think my question needed its own thread

-Sent from my Google Sock inside a Sperry loafer

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
edit: I realize this is an aged-to-perfection (old) thread but I didn't think my question needed its own thread

It is B/C of this review I recently acquired a terrific deal on a Kroma MilSpec,

I just want to say thanks to the OP for the time and work he put into the review from years back and wish I could give him a whole case of
Oreos because the PICS STILL WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lovecpf

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello.

can anyone recommend a good UV filter for the Kroma milspec?

You needing more UV output than the LEDs already in there?

They aren't for distance are they, I'd question what the capabilities are on the M1 illuminator.

Not sure Surefire ever made a filter with the correct diameter to fit the Kroma...

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's time to ask some questions.

My friend gave me his Kroma Mil Spec.
Judging by the new logo, Kroma is still produced, although this is not on the SF site.

It has the same square ray. It seems that this is not a TIR, it's an aspherical lens
as LensLight, but motionless.

Regarding management, it is changed relative to what was described in 2007.

The ring has 5 pure modes + you can set it in an intermediate position between all.

I.e

Another interesting moment - the strong white mode is activated only in white light mode.
That is, if the control ring is in any non-white mode,
any pressing of the button does not change the brightness.
To turn on strong white light, you must return to white light mode!

Personally for me it is not very convenient.
I would like, that in any color mode it was possible to turn on strong white light, as in A2.

Now some photos

Tell me, please, who has new Kroma on his hands - control is the same as I described?

When I took photos at the same time as both U2 and Kroma, I set my eye on that mode in U2,
in which the central spots have approximately the same brightness.
That is, one spot does not stand out against the background of the other if they are shifted in to 1 point.
U2 XP-G2 - 4 mode, U2 original - 2 mode

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
DesertSnake, I just received a brand new Kroma Milspec, with serial number B86xxx.

Mine was manufactured much later than yours. My sample performs exactly as you described yours. Not being able to activate the high white mode in the color mode is so that one may not destroy their dark adapted vision by accident. I used to own the civilian model Kroma, and I'll admit that I like that part of the regular Kroma better. But other than that, I'm loving this milspec so far!

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
DayofReckoning that's cool!Tell me, please, do you have a version of 50 or 130 lumens and which form of ray?
I read that the newer version has a smaller squared shape in beam , but has I not yet found any pictures.

Yesterday and today I walked with a Kroma constantly.
You're right! the preservation of night vision is really achieved by the absence
of white light in any color mode.

The only thing I want now - the ring to switch with clicks, like on a new Ultra UM2,
then you can turn on the light exactly to come to the desired mode before switching on,
and turn it on after, already knowing in what mode the light will work.

Now the ring is soft to go into the desired mode, you need to switching on the light
and choose the modes by turning

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
DayofReckoning that's cool!Tell me, please, do you have a version of 50 or 130 lumens and which form of ray?
I read that the newer version has a smaller squared shape in beam , but has I not yet found any pictures.

Yesterday and today I walked with a Kroma constantly.
You're right! the preservation of night vision is really achieved by the absence
of white light in any color mode.

The only thing I want now - the ring to switch with clicks, like on a new Ultra UM2,
then you can turn on the light exactly to come to the desired mode before switching on,
and turn it on after, already knowing in what mode the light will work.

Now the ring is soft to go into the desired mode, you need to switching on the light
and choose the modes by turning

Hi Desertsnake. I have the newest 130 lumen model, with white, blue, red, yellow green, and Infared.

Mentally comparing my new Kroma to the old 50 lumen Non Milspec Kroma I used to own, this new one is much brighter than my old Kroma, much more so.

The white led's beam shape and hotspot on this new one is much less of a square shape than my old Kroma. I don't know if it because of the increased output this one has, or if something has changed in the design, but shining the beam on a wall, the hotspot is certainly not as square shaped as my old kroma. The beam is not as squared shaped as the one in your photos. It is more diffused and round.

The Red and Blue leds produce a square like shape when shined closely on a wall, and the yellow green are very ringy. I believe that the colored beam was better and smoother on the old non milspec Kroma I had.

The selector ring clicks nicely into each mode, however, again, if my memory serves me correctly, my old Kromas selector ring was "soft" like you describe. I think this might possibly have to do the ring wearing a little over time. I would not be surprised if I find this new Kroma to become "soft" over time. Only time will tell.

I hope this answers your questions.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have my old civilian Kroma.

I have a question regarding the mil-spec version. In Kroma, there's low red, low blue, along with high red and high blue. Does the mil-spec version have hi/low for the color LEDs?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I still have my old civilian Kroma.

I have a question regarding the mil-spec version. In Kroma, there's low red, low blue, along with high red and high blue. Does the mil-spec version have hi/low for the color LEDs?

No. The Mil spec only has one level of brightness for each color. The overall brightness is in between the low and high of the regular Kroma colors. I personally wish the mil spec red mode was a little dimmer.