Surefire LX2 Lumamax vs Surefire Fury

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google found a Mouser presentation for me. It says if you want tight optical control like for flashlights, to use XP-G as it will be tighter than XP-E HEW, so apparantly the apparant die size is actually larger then XP-G, so the throw will be reduced, not increased. Wrench!

See page 4:
http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/Cree_XLamp_XP-E_HEW.pdf

Edit: It actually says XM-L is preferable to XP-E HEW for optical control. XP-E HEW is for diffused lighting applications.

Last edited:

funder

Newly Enlightened
EZ900 XR-E is out to replace EZ1000 XR-E for a long time, it is a reasonable estimation that current SF XR-E light use EZ900.
We dont know what is the exact emitter model in 2012 new lights, but M6LT use XM-L for sure. At certain angle, the faint reflection image of the emitter can be noticed.

My man, you are an optimist!
Yes, SF could be using some other emitters, ...including SST-50 for 900L.
Correction for you: XR-E EZ1000 has a 0.98x0.98mm die, of which ALL of my SureFires are and all those those I have seen are, so I'm still waiting to see SF is using the smaller EZ900 anywhere. They may be, but who has seen one?
The R3 I used is an HEW. R4 are rumored, but I have never seen one for sale (I typically shop Cutter for Cree) have any of the Chinese mfgrs even claimed to use the R4 XP-E? That happens many months before mainstream mfgr use it. And the R4 over R3 gain is only 7%. Take away the generous assumptions I put in those calculations and the lumens are still not up to those claimed by SF, or very marginal. And if the 250L LX2 is XP-E, then it makes the 500L LX2 Ultra an XP-G (due to the same lux at twice the lumens and same optic meaning the LED die is twice the area), which it can not be even at S2 bin. So the chain fails.
Now you are assuming the 900L light uses XM-L. Do they? Has anyone received a 900L Surefire and taken it apart? Running th numbers, 990 emitter lumens (XM-L at 3A) could become 900L with 90% eff, but again that is assuming 25C, which the emitter will not be at time of FL1 lumen measurement. Then no window losses either. Close enough to be possible though. With top bins, top efficiency, etc. Lot of ifs. We will find out when the 2012s are taken apart what LEDs are being used and if Surefire is diving LEDs to max spec, which the runtimes seem to be indicating, but that would be a new MO for them. Only time will tell. I plan to get one of the programmable lights as soon as they come out. Either an EB1 or LX2, whichever comes out first. And it will be about a day before I take it apart unless somebody else beats me to it.

funder

Newly Enlightened
XP-E HEW still has a small die size, but the weird shape of emitter and fluorescent power distribution may cause a ugly looking spot.
OK let's forget HEW, the cutter do supply XP-E with R4 bin:
http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=Cree+XPE

R4 has 130~139 lumens flux @350mA, at 1A, the flux will be 250%, which is 292.5+ lumens, if the efficiency of the optical system is 90%, you will have ~263 lumens.

SF has their own test standard, it is OTF, but not necessary to be ANSI, so it is possible that the flux is measured from the very beginning of light turned ON.

Google found a Mouser presentation for me. It says if you want tight optical control like for flashlights, to use XP-G as it will be tighter than XP-E HEW, so apparantly the apparant die size is actually larger then XP-G, so the throw will be reduced, not increased. Wrench!

See page 4:
http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/Cree_XLamp_XP-E_HEW.pdf

Edit: It actually says XM-L is preferable to XP-E HEW for optical control. XP-E HEW is for diffused lighting applications.

Westminster

Newly Enlightened
Comparing my Fury Tactical to my LX2 I don't find a significant difference between the two (which surprised me). The Fury, however, has a much wider flood: 2x-4x wider, subjectively speaking. In my experience, I don't usually see a "wow" difference in brightness between two SF lights unless the number of lumens is doubled.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This week-end I have had a lot of fun playing with my new Fury which I compared to as well E2DL Defender and Maelstrom X10. If I am right LX2 has the same brightness and beamprofile as E2DL, so therefore my experience could be of interest. I became surprised that the 500lm Fury seemed to be so overwhelming much brighter than the 200lm Defender. Not only the spill is just "no-comparison" but also Fury has a wider hotspot. And still brighter: Fury out throws Defender. Yes; 500lm is much higher output than 200lm, but actually it feels more like Fury is ~4 times brighter. The explanation is propably that it's difficult for the eye to compare between so very different beam profiles.
Also I remember that comparing Malkoff M60 to a reflector light with same total output it feels(not ceiling bounce) that the reflector light is brighter.
I really like E2DL Defender, and I understand a 500lm TIR-version would be impressive! Maybe it would not under normal use be perceived to be as bright as Fury, but it would clearly out throw it! The new 500lm LX2 Lumamax is tempting...

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
My last Surefire I bought was the 6PX PRO; I have five other Surefire lights.

I did not like that the head of the 6PX PRO is 'glued on' or does not screw off the light's body; it is the reason I did not but the Surefire Fury. Both lights have a fixed head.

Instead I bought the Eagletac G25C eith a higher output aand various battery choices. Time will tell if the Eagletac will hold up like mu Surefire lights.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fury crushes my LX2. They both throw well but the Fury just lights up everything in front of it. It's Surefire's second coming of "The Wall of Light!"

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the LX2 "ultra" 500l ever happen?

There were supposed to be two versions of it, one being a single mode tactical, but I'm only seeing the 200l 2 mode version on the website at this time. Coming soon, 2013 etc.?

Viking

Enlightened
I read in another thread , not long time ago that the LX2 ultra would be released 03-31-2013 , or maybe it was the new improved LX2 , I don't remember for sure which one.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Either way, at this point I am going with Malkoff XP-G2 and VME head. That way I can get the tint I want, and 3-400 lumens (currently). The VME head is machined to the same standard as Surefire's materials, I think, and the Malkoff module is also good quality. I do not feel that it is an insult to the durability of either part to be paired with the other.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read in another thread , not long time ago that the LX2 ultra would be released 03-31-2013 , or maybe it was the new improved LX2 , I don't remember for sure which one.

Both from what I have read, but it's all just speculation.

Judging from the X300 Ultras that are already out there, it is likely a combination of parts availability and production capacity that's preventing the light from coming out, since they already have the LX2 tooling in place and they are already producing the heads.

Whenever the LX2 Ultra comes out I'm totally getting one, unless something better comes along.

Glock 22

Enlightened
I like both of them my LX2 is my EDC light and the Fury is probably the best light Surefire put out this year. So there both great lights and can be used for what ever meets your needs. Neither one of mine is for sale, so that tells you how much I like the both of them. If you want a EDC pocket light then go with the LX2, or if you want a light that is super bright then go with the Fury, it's all in what you like and need it for.