Surefire LX2 (Part 3)

carrot

Flashaholic
There is an large number of complainers vs. happy customers. This is because happy customers don't always chime in, and those with problems love to complain. You will probably have no problems with this light. Try it, I think you'll like it.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
This > because happy customers don't always chime in, and those with problems love to complain > Carrot nailed it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
OK, so no other Surefire with comparable output has a better initial quality record?

Rocketman

Enlightened
I was thinking of buying an LX2 as my first Surefire but reading this thread it seems like it has an awful lot of problems? Is there another Surefire with as much output that doesn't have so many issues (like the twist to high power on not working)? I mean the whole idea of paying so much is to avoid this stuff right?

I recommend not buying the LX2, but this is based upon my experience.

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened
So I'll chime in as one of the happy customers.
I've had NO problems at all with this light (or any of my other Surefires for that matter) in the 6 months owning it.:twothumbs

Size15's

Flashaholic
Given the large number of LX2 owners on CPF vs the tiny number of issues, compared to other instances in the past where there was actually an issues that needed fixing, we saw far more issues reported on CPF.
So in this instance, I see no reason not to recommend the LX2.

It's the finest EDC light I know

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you find a local store which carries the LX2, you can check it out in person. I did just that at an REI store last week. That gave me a chance to try the pushbutton switch and tailcap twist action.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Are you serious?

5 complaints in thousands.

At the point of the thread that I jumped in the thread was predominantly ABOUT complaints. There are other lights with more output, modes, features, for far less money. My interest in Surefire is pretty much exclusively do to its rep for being trouble free. I just wanted to check in to see if the LX2 is more problematic than others.

One poster mentioned the E2DL but I don't want a strike bezel stabbing me in my pocket. The LX2 looks perfect for carry in terms of form, size, and output. That's why I chose it. I'm heading to a local gun shop now to see if they have one I can try. They have a Surefire sign hanging out front so I like my chances.

MikeF

Enlightened
I reported having issues with my LX-2 having a problem not going to high by twisting the tail cap. It still does go to high when I need it to when I press the tail cap, every time. I have beet the snot out of my LX-2 and it shows it on the exterior but it has never failed to operate for me. It gets carried in my pocket along with keys, screwdrivers, pocket knife, two Leatherman tools, a Gerber multi-tool and it show definite signs of wear and abuse but if I lost it I would purchase another one right away. Indispensible for me! I have thought about contacting Surefire about the tail cap but I would not want to be without it long enough to send it off. I would also be embarrassed to have them see how it has been treated!
:shakehead

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have thought about contacting Surefire about the tail cap but I would not want to be without it long enough to send it off. I would also be embarrassed to have them see how it has been treated!

If you call SureFire they may send you a replacement TailCap to see whether that sorts things out.

However, if they do recommend you send it back I bet they'd be pleased to see one their products being used and all the character marks that entails! No shame in using your SureFire - it's not intended to be mollycoddled!

nutsobad

Newly Enlightened
Hello MikeF. I have a solution for this problem. had it too.
1. call surefire or your dealer and tell them your problem and you'll get a brand new tailcap. as I did.
2. if you want the high mode right now you have to sand down the rim of the tailcap a littlebit. dont forget to stuff some cotton wool in it first so the electronics and threads wont get in contact with the aluminium dust and the spring is pressed back in. be careful not to take too much material off. just a lililbit. try. works? if not, another few circles on the sandpaper. and so on until your'e fine.
after this procedure it works.:thumbsup: this particular problem is located at the slightly too high rim of the tailcap. hope could help.

boloson

Newly Enlightened
i'm a noob to this flashlight stuff so this might be a dumb question but i assume they dont make rechargeable batteries for the lx2 correct?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm a noob to this flashlight stuff so this might be a dumb question but i assume they dont make rechargeable batteries for the lx2 correct?

You can use 3v LiFePO4 rcr123s - AW sells em and they are what I use for all my Surefires. You take a hit on run time (lose about a 1/3) but for my uses that isn't an issue and it's FREE LUMENS!!!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You can use 3v LiFePO4 rcr123s - AW sells em and they are what I use for all my Surefires. You take a hit on run time (lose about a 1/3) but for my uses that isn't an issue and it's FREE LUMENS!!!

You can also use RCR123's, 3.6-4.2 volts cells X2. They work in my LX2 with no increase in output (bounce with light meter), and show significant reduced mA draw from cells, compared to 2X CR123's, indicating that is a buck circuit, or acting like a buck circuit. Current checked at tailcap area.

Bill

boloson

Newly Enlightened

You can also use RCR123's, 3.6-4.2 volts cells X2. They work in my LX2 with no increase in output (bounce with light meter), and show significant reduced mA draw from cells, compared to 2X CR123's, indicating that is a buck circuit, or acting like a buck circuit. Current checked at tailcap area.

Bill

ok thanks guys. this looks like the perfect size for my duty belt. "AW" must be a vendor on this forum i'm assuming? i'll look it up. thanks again

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
"AW" must be a vendor on this forum i'm assuming? i'll look it up. thanks again

Correct. You can get AW cells on CPF's sister forum, CPFMarketplace. AW has a sales thread there. The general consensus is that AW makes some of the best quality rechargeable cells around.

carrot

Flashaholic
If you don't want to wait for shipping from overseas, 4sevens is an authorized reseller of AW cells and keeps stock in his Atlanta GA warehouse.