Surefire LX2 (Part 3)

pulstar

Enlightened
Thanks for your participation in this matter. I've just recieved my RMA number but i dont quite understand what i have to do with that RMA form. Nice employee told (wrote) me in the mail: Please see the attached RMA form. Please print a copy to be used as a packing slip and ship the LX2 to the following address...
I'm not very fluent english speaker but i think she meant to just make a copy of this form and put it in the box with the LX2.

The number is:

RMA 36123

Again thank you for your kind offer and possible personal help!

Tommorow i'll pack my LX2 carefully and take it to our post office and see how much will everything cost. (around 10-15$ probably)

Last edited:

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, she just meant "MAKE a copy". Glad to see you're able to get the shipping cost down to something more reasonable. I haven't had to send any of my Surefire lights in for warranty work so I will be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Surething

Newly Enlightened
Pulstar,
We have all of your customer information and the RMA has been generated. You do not need to do anything else other than notate the RMA number on the outside of the box and send it to the address they gave you. No worries, whatever the problem we will investigate and correct it for you. Thanks for being a SureFire customer..

cuester

Newly Enlightened
Finally ordered one, my first surefire. It's going to be a great May

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
Robert M & Pulstar a tad off topic here but re SF customer service it is a tier one operation.

Sent two T1As that I carried DAILY on my key rings (bought new in '08 & '09) back for warranty issues.

Mind you these had character, they were scratched & well used but that's what I do w/ my SFs, use them as the tools they are.

LESS than two weeks after they left me I received back two NIB T1A's, repeat NEW IN THE BOX. I called SF, thanked Alex for all

his/their help as this was way more than I expected, thought mine would be repaired & returned.

Bottom line rest assured that SF will stand behind their products, I've experienced their excellent CS/warranty work more than ONCE. Thread hijack over.

pulstar

Enlightened
Pulstar,
We have all of your customer information and the RMA has been generated. You do not need to do anything else other than notate the RMA number on the outside of the box and send it to the address they gave you. No worries, whatever the problem we will investigate and correct it for you. Thanks for being a SureFire customer..

No, thank you for being so polite and helpful to me. I know Surefire will solve my problem. I've read so many about their legendary customer service that i have no doubts about it. Btw, if you by some strange coincidence come across my LX2 and, please inform me, when you recieve it in your warehouse.

Thanks again guys, you're the best! lovecpf

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
@surething

what a nice behavior. Yesterday I bought my second LX2 and after reading about your help to pulstar I like it more than before:clap:

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi again,

When my LX2 came to SF headquarters it was immediatelly replaced by a new unit and damaged was sent for further investigation. In only THREE DAYS! it came back to me, all glittery and new, in box and everything that comes with it. Plus, they also added 4 additional batteries in the package!

I've never experienced anything like that before! At Surefire they don't take their customers for granted. They individually take care for them! Thanks again Surething! I'm glad i'm a customer of such a great company!

Surefire CS-----> Best of the best!!!

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the follow-up report. I was hoping things would work out well for you - SureFire seems to have done their usual exceptional job for you!

Hi again,

When my LX2 came to SF headquarters it was immediatelly replaced by a new unit and damaged was sent for further investigation. In only THREE DAYS! it came back to me, all glittery and new, in box and everything that comes with it. Plus, they also added 4 additional batteries in the package!

I've never experienced anything like that before! At Surefire they don't take their customers for granted. They individually take care for them! Thanks again Surething! I'm glad i'm a customer of such a great company!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi again,

Just fantastic - glad it all worked out and so quicky :)

This is is why surefire has customers for life - I cant even list on one hand all the companies out there that have such superb CS.

Kudos to Surefire.

Fooboy

Enlightened
Hi again,

And that, ladies and gentlemen ... is how a smart company turns a potential negative experience and lost customer ... into a SF disciple and makes the rest of SF disciples want to go buy more Surefires just cause we got warm fuzzies reading this. :D

@ Surethang - thanks for cruising the board!

Enlightened
I got my LX2 in today. I'm impressed by it for the most part. It reminds me of my X300.
The ONLY beef I have with mine is the not so perfect spill around the immediate hotspot. It's hard to explain... It's noticeable to me. Other than that the tint is nice and white.
ETA: beamshot.. See if you can notice it.

27x2b0g.jpg

Last edited:

TENNlumens

Newly Enlightened
I have had my LX2 for awhile now and other than a period of time where the U2 took over pocket time I have always had it with me. I highly recommend it and haven't had a single issue with it.

015-9.jpg

What diameter is your "Glow Gasket" ring?

Thanks!

-Don

paulr

Flashaholic
Does anyone know if Surefire regularly "slip streams" lights like the LX2, by putting in better leds as they become available, without changing the markings or packaging? I'm wondering if a used LX2 from BST is likely to be less bright than a new one from the latest run. Is there a way to estimate the age of an LX2 by serial number? Thanks.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Does anyone know if Surefire regularly "slip streams" lights like the LX2, by putting in better leds as they become available, without changing the markings or packaging? I'm wondering if a used LX2 from BST is likely to be less bright than a new one from the latest run. Is there a way to estimate the age of an LX2 by serial number? Thanks.

Having been around here for some time, you probably recall Size 15's saying that there is no way to tell the age of a SF by its serial number. Sometimes there is a letter change and that can be an indication of a new, or old model of a given light. I also recall him saying that SF often sends out updated models in the older packaging for awhile after a new upgrade becomes available. I personally think that models of a given light may have upgraded LED's, the newer they are. Probably ordering directly from SF would get one a newer upgraded light with a higher flux LED. This year my wife won an LX2 at MattK's SHOT party, and my bounce with lightmeter checks show it to have higher output than my Malkoff M60, or M30. I am assuming that she got a relatively new LX2.

Bill

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks. I haven't followed Surefire threads all that closely, so I either missed or forgot that info from Size15s. It's pretty weird that I've been a flashaholic for this long without ever owning any Surefires, but I suddenly find myself rather interested in both the Saint Minimus and the LX2.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my LX2 in today. I'm impressed by it for the most part. It reminds me of my X300.
The ONLY beef I have with mine is the not so perfect spill around the immediate hotspot. It's hard to explain... It's noticeable to me. Other than that the tint is nice and white.
ETA: beamshot.. See if you can notice it.

27x2b0g.jpg

My man, that is about as nice a beam as I've seen. Maybe the camera is not picking it up?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

beam looks pretty good - better than mine.

I can see the center spot is a bit off to the left and there is some "splotch," but that is being a tad picky.

But I can totally understand and relate - I bought and returned a handful of surefires when I first caught this bug due to a splotchy beam and rings...

After a few years I've just come to accept that these types of things really makes zero difference unless you are just hunting white walls...

Now a green tint, thats another story :D

;)

pulstar

Enlightened
Looks like like the LED is just a tiny tiny bit off-centered. It's normal with TIR optic. I don't believe you can notice that in actual use:)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Serial numbers allow each product to be individual (so they can be issued etc). I understand that SureFire manufacturer in batches, and components are stored in stacks of trays so it doesn't necessarily follow that 1234 is made after 1233. It's reasonable to expect that 9123 was made after 1234 though.

SureFire do make in-production modifications, and will make use of 'better binned' LEDs as they become available in greater numbers.

Since packaging and instructions are printed and ordered in batches too, it may result in a higher performing product going out in the 'old' packaging until the new packaging is delivered etc.

Yes, SureFire have sometimes used subtle letters as part of the serial number etc to indicate a specific change, but where they didn't consider the change significant to introduce a new model number variation (such as putting an "A" on KL4 = KL4A)
Remember that not everybody is a flashaholic crazed for details to the nth degree. Giving too much information can confuse customers as well as slow down production.

There is normal variation from product to product.
When you have a pair of batteries powering an LED via a PCB, through a mechanical/electrical circuit, outputting light through an optic and window there are lots of variations and tolerances that can be combined to compound differences from one product to the next.

I do get the impression that sometimes output ratings are considered absolute and fixed whereas it has always made more sense to me to consider them a guide or indication, not least because I'm no integrating sphere and can easily be confused and tricked when it comes to guessing output, especially when trying to compare one flashlight to the next. A beam is a rather tricky configuration of light if you want to count or compare how much light is there.

Al :)