Surefire LX2 Pics, Beamshots & Info

sims2k

Enlightened
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the review...that one finally made me a believer and a convert to the power of the LX2.:twothumbs

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great write up Sean. Thanks for taking the time to also provide the photos.

What is the fascination with using other e series bodies? Are they shorter or something? Or is it just for battery options?

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
The build quality seems to have been taken down a notch compared to the older L1/L2, it doesn't have the front contact section in the battery tube. Nor does it have the isolating internal tube lining.

Hopefully the beam is still just as nice.

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. My LX2 has the nice uniform hotspot like yours does, perfect as a matter of fact. Its' my new EDC. I also have the F04 beamshaper on it which is also very useful. As I stated in the LX2 thread in the LED forum, mine appears to be just a LITTLE brighter than the E2DLs' I've owned and I owned 3 of them. So its fair to say its probably dead on 200 lumens OTF.

prime77

Enlightened
The build quality seems to have been taken down a notch compared to the older L1/L2, it doesn't have the front contact section in the battery tube. Nor does it have the isolating internal tube lining.

Hopefully the beam is still just as nice.
Judging from the pics and what some of the members that have got the LX2 have said the build quality looks great. It doesn't have the front contact section in the battery tube because the electronics have been moved from the battery tube to the head. Also as for the isolating internal tube lining Surefire has changed how they coat the inside of their lights from the brass color lining to a clear one.

Palestofwhite

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting for this light to arrive as well, but I do have a question for those who already gotten it. I actually own some AW RCR123s which I bought to be used with an E2DL I sold (for this light). Can anyone confirm if the LX2 can handle the AW RCRs like how the E2DL is supposed to? Really appreciate if anyone can comment on this.

Thank you.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review; thanks!

This light seems to be the most versatile SF yet (other than maybe an A2 or U2, depending on the use).

I love the way this light holds its own vs. the TK 40.

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
Judging from the pics and what some of the members that have got the LX2 have said the build quality looks great. It doesn't have the front contact section in the battery tube because the electronics have been moved from the battery tube to the head. Also as for the isolating internal tube lining Surefire has changed how they coat the inside of their lights from the brass color lining to a clear one.

Still there is no longer that internal tube, I'm not saying that the there is a different color coat or anything. Take a look at the L1 with Cree LED. The internal sleeve is still there, even though it's silver in color.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has SureFire possibly adjusted their lumen rating methodology? The LX2 is rated at 200 lumens vs. 120 lumens for the E2DL. This is approximately a 70% increase in stated brightness over the E2DL. I would think this would be more noticeable than it is in the beamshots. This, in combination with testimonials from other LX2+E2DL owners stating both lights have close to the same output, makes me think that SF has somewhat adjusted their approach to rating lumens in their lights (or at least with the LX2).

When I first saw that they were releasing a 200 lumen LED light, I thought that it must be a multi-die LED like an MCE or P7 based on SF's extremely conservative lumen ratings. I was surprised to find that it was a single-die Cree.

I completely agree that the LX2 is rated very accurately at 200 lumens, but it seems like SF has modified their approach somewhat. I just have a hard time believing this light is a full 3 times brighter than my L1 Cree, rated at 65 lumens on high. BTW - does anyone have both and can compare the two?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Perhaps their overall approach to estimates has changed?
They have also changed the runtime stats on the P60L in the G3L-FYL.

They seem to be no longer overstating runtime or understating output. I like it and hope this carries over to all their product line.
It will be refreshing to simply read the stats and be able to use them without any further calculations.
:thumbsup:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has SureFire possibly adjusted their lumen rating methodology? The LX2 is rated at 200 lumens vs. 120 lumens for the E2DL. This is approximately a 70% increase in stated brightness over the E2DL. I would think this would be more noticeable than it is in the beamshots. This, in combination with testimonials from other LX2+E2DL owners stating both lights have close to the same output, makes me think that SF has somewhat adjusted their approach to rating lumens in their lights (or at least with the LX2).

When I first saw that they were releasing a 200 lumen LED light, I thought that it must be a multi-die LED like an MCE or P7 based on SF's extremely conservative lumen ratings. I was surprised to find that it was a single-die Cree.

I think the reason they did this is simple. They were understating their output enough on the E2DL that people complained that Surefire was behind the times and other manufacturers like Fenix and everyone else had Cree XR-E powered lights that were being rated in the 200+ lumen range. So they did the smart thing and released a light rated in the 200 lumen range that actually puts out 200+ lumens. The E2DL was underrated a bit and I think most of them fell in the 150-180 range. I only know of one to have been tested to put out ~210 lumens (MrGman's). So now, with the LX2 you get a light that is as bright as MrGman's E2DL, without having to play the lottery to get one. IMHO. ;)

I just have a hard time believing this light is a full 3 times brighter than my L1 Cree, rated at 65 lumens on high. BTW - does anyone have both and can compare the two?

I had an L1 a few months ago and it put out about 74 lumens on high. I also had an E2L two stage that was rated at 60 lumens on high but mine put out about 85 lumens. You can't see the difference between the L1 and E2L, but you certainly tell a difference between the L1 and the LX2. Remember, the way your eyes percieve brightness the light must be 4x brighter for it to look 2x brighter.

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review! ;)

But it seems to me the LX2 is not brighter than the E2DL, right?

Well, as I said in my review: "My tests show the LX2 is brighter than my E2DL and Fenix T1."
I would say my E2DL was about ~165-170 lumens and my LX2 is about ~200-205 lumens. Unfortunately, The E2DL picture I posted was taken on a different day than the LX2 picture, so it's possible that the reason it doesn't look brighter is just me messing up something or some other problem.

Here are some nice shots taken by Prime77 comparing his E2DL and LX2:

005-10.jpg

009-7.jpg

014-3.jpg

017-10.jpg

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive never owned an L2, so im not sure if its like this too, but does this mean that with the Lx1 the circuitry might be in the head also? meaning, the head is no longer a "dumb" head?

and does the tail lego with the older L series lights? (if you have any)

Crenshaw

Last edited: