Surefire LX2 Pics, Beamshots & Info

Illum

Flashaholic
Nice review ;)

I noticed the warning "caution hot surface" does it really get that hot? or is this just a standard thing with Surefire?:thinking:

back in the says of Luxeon Vs yeah it gets hot...dunno how hard these are driven though. One thing is for sure, putting these labels on the E2L/E1L is a bit over exaggerating:nana:

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
The LX2 does look brighter than the E2DL. Thanks for the beamshots, I think I might buy one.lovecpf

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Ive never owned an L2, so im not sure if its like this too, but does this mean that with the Lx1 the circuitry might be in the head also? meaning, the head is no longer a "dumb" head?

and does the tail lego with the older L series lights? (if you have any)

Crenshaw
Right it is no longer dumb. The tail is compatible with others like the L series and the A2.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Would I be right in thinking that if you twist it once for constant on at 15 Lumens you can still get full power instantly by mashing the button down ?

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine about half an hour ago. It is definetely visually brighter than my E2DL. Not only is it brighter, the hotspot is perfectly round.
I had to try several E2DL's before I found one with a somewhat round hotspot.

My only gripe is a few little markings on the light. There are no nicks, dings or scratches, but there are a few tiny spots where there is no anno.
Maybe rub marks?

Other than that, I've very pleased with it. I would have prefered a minty one, but I guess this one will be a user for me.

One more note, I was expecting a very crappy clip after reading a few comments made on them. I actually like the clip :)

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has SureFire possibly adjusted their lumen rating methodology? The LX2 is rated at 200 lumens vs. 120 lumens for the E2DL. This is approximately a 70% increase in stated brightness over the E2DL. I would think this would be more noticeable than it is in the beamshots. This, in combination with testimonials from other LX2+E2DL owners stating both lights have close to the same output, makes me think that SF has somewhat adjusted their approach to rating lumens in their lights (or at least with the LX2).
Maybe they didn't change their lumen rating methodology at all.

Maybe the supply of higher binned LEDs has increased to point that they can reasonably guarantee a minimum of 200 lumens. Maybe they'll bump the specs of the E2DL and their other XR-E-based lights at some point as well.

vic303

Enlightened
I'd like to wait until the LX1 comes out, and see how it specs out. I am thinking of getting an E1b to replace my old style L2, but might opt for the LX1 instead.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe they didn't change their lumen rating methodology at all.

Maybe the supply of higher binned LEDs has increased to point that they can reasonably guarantee a minimum of 200 lumens. Maybe they'll bump the specs of the E2DL and their other XR-E-based lights at some point as well.
That very well could be based on the additional information. The LX2 is definitely exceeding 200 lumens for sure. I do hope they adjust the ratings of other similar lights to be closer to actual output. The main reason I thought they changed their rating methodology was the beamshots comparing the 120 lumen E2DL and the 200 lumen LX2. The output looks virtually identical in the shots, but Sean clarified that the E2DL beamshot was taken on a different day or it could have been another issue that made them appear equal. He confirmed that the LX2 is definitely brighter in real life. The shots taken by Prime77 make it very easy to see that the LX2 is much brighter - thus the higher lumen rating.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow
Would I be right in thinking that if you twist it once for constant on at 15 Lumens you can still get full power instantly by mashing the button down ?

That is correct.
You can also mash the button when the light is off to go directly to full power.
That is correct, beautiful UI no?
Brilliant - that's exactly what I want. Thanks guys. :sold:

Wonder how long till can we get these in the UK ?? . . . .

JKL

Enlightened
Great review !
icon14.gif

Amazing Surefire once again.
icon6.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This one sounds like the perfect 2-cell light. perfect. And you can swap E-Series heads, too. Even more perfect.
Now if only the post office would be somewhat quicker ... :green:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
That's cool, actually. No rattle with CR123 cells then. Cells for real men :nana:

But I do feel for you Li-Ion guys. Really. Think of it this way ... SF being one of the last refugee camps for primary guys.

bernie