Surefire mini G2

Kestrel

Flashaholic
OK, no worries. The M31 runs like a champ from 1xCR123, the only issue is heat in the nitrolon head/bezel. Very much recommend against a continuous run with that setup - the M31L might be a better option depending on what you're looking for. 45 minutes total runtime w/1xCR123 with the full-power version. Again, I know that the Malkoff description of the M31 is a bit confusing, it's a great match for 3P's but I guess SF hasn't been selling many of those lately, lol.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My unmodified Malkoffs have always worked perfectly with my unmodified G-series lights. My wife's G2/M60LL has never faltered for an instant over the past three years she's had it. BTW there are a few troubleshooting threads for this topic, please feel free to use the CPF-Google search function for that. The usual suspect is the conductive metal sleeve being too far 'down' into the nitrolon body as viewed from the head end.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
No turning back now...
FullSizeRender_zpsbppfzgec.jpg

WOW, no wonder these bad boys are so tough. That wall is way thicker than I imagined in cross section.

As long as have this giant old Milwaukee 1/2" drill, I always have a lathe. Trimming the head piece down to fit inside the body piece I cut. Secured to a dowel with electrical tape and the dowel chucked in this older monster. (eye protection is NOT optional)
FullSizeRender_2_zpsmv1sijgu.jpg

Cutting the slot in the body part to receive the head...
FullSizeRender5_zpssduyqjxp.jpg

Testing connectivity with a P60 on one CR123 before final glueing...
FullSizeRender_4_zpszdk4lv9e.jpg

Epoxied together with my old bug-out-gear module to test fit...
FullSizeRender_3_zpsulck3dfz.jpg

I could have been more precise with cutting the slot out of the body. I did a good first pass and had it ready to go together but it was just 1mm short, so I cut a piece off of the body and quickly made the slot a little deeper, and it came out a little eccentric, so it's a tiny bit off center. I made it as straight as I could when gluing the pieces together with epoxy, but it's still a tiny bit off. Were I to do this again, I'd do it so the glue point was down toward the middle of the handle instead of right behind the head. Having the metal tube running under the cut would help to keep everything straighter.

All in all, it's a fun light. I'll mess with it and an RCR123 to get some decent output and maybe find a cheaper low voltage module to go with it.

(I actually do have a black AN14 extender, but didn't want to destroy it quite yet. I have another G2 and it's handy to have.)

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
First and foremost, nice work. In 2009 this was cool, however, now you are on the leading edge of a revolution in a in 3P/M31 style of light becoming very popular. I always loved my 3P but never carried it because it was a model with a short production span, and other lights at the time replaced it.

The 3P size is the quickly becoming the new craze of the drop-in lumens and styling scene, lots of cool things coming for M31 style drop-in hosts, and your modification looks very cool. Is this work just special for yourself, or will you be offering a modding service. Tons of G2's floating around out there.

I have the original 3P which is a great pocket size of light. However, at the time (late 90's), Surefire could not get any useable lumens for what their company was about, so I never used mine, and Surefire abandoned it. However with the M30-31 Malkoff's, and several other drop-in makers who have arrived since that time, expect this size of light to be the next cool thing. You can already see it coming, in fact it is here, now, and it looks like, it is going to, be fun!

Nice job and the resurrection of this thread could not have come at a better time.

Malkoff and Vallient Concepts, please ramp up and put back into production the titanium VME head! I wish I had bought more than one when they were selling. I am planning all, kinds of 3P/M31 size of lights, and that will include titanium!

Best of luck,

RL

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3P size is the quickly becoming the new craze, lots of cool things coming for M31 style drop-ins, and your modification looks very cool. Is this work just special for yourself, or will you be offering a modding service. Tons of G2's floating around out there.

I have the original 3P which is a great pocket size of light light. However, at the time (late 90's), Surefire could not get any useable lumens for what their company was about, so I never used mine. However with the M30-31 Malkoff's, and several other drop-in makers, expect this to, be the next cool thing. You can already see it coming, and it looks like,it is going to,be fun!

Nice job and the resurrection of this thread could not have come at a better time.

I will not be offering a modding service, but thanks for the props! This was just me messing around. My first major Surefire mod was an old... Geez I forget the part number... the 3volt weaponlight lamp module with the R30 lamp... LM30? that I connected to a cut-down A19 extender resulting in a 3P clone. Loved that light.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Nicely done! I've made a few of these, one lives on my Wife's might stand with a Malkoff module. Lumensfactory will roll you a "R30" replacement module if you like primary cell 3v incan goodness. Think MN01 beam shape and brightness...

Latest posts