Surefire Optimus UA2 and Invictus UB2.....

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Optimus and Invictus.....

Good Post Al. My Surefire Backup is the first S.F. I have purchased with Optics, and though I never planned on purchasing it because I just didn't think I would like an optics light. As soon as I seen the beam on the Backup I immediately bought it. It has surpassed my expectations. Outside the beam quality at medium distances is amazing and much better than an reflector light in my opinion. It out throws lights I have with much more total output. I would now not hesitate to purchase another S.F. Optics based light.

Bill

the people who are after the next highest lux number don't know what they re missing. I have a whole bunch of optics light for the reason you listed, ever since the 4th generation KL1 came out.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Since no one mentioned it, the Surefire 2008 catalog says the UA2 has optics, and the UB2 has a reflector. So it's doubtful the beams are comparable.
Thanks for the clarifications.
I guess my implications were too subtle.

L.E.D.

Enlightened

Hopefully the floodbeam on the Optimus is smooth, even better than the LedLenser 3AAA Focus w/ SSC P4, which still has a SLIGHTLY darker center area. The LedLenser's floodbeam is really not too bad, way better than a cammed reflector flood (Mag / earlier model Rayovac 2AA's, JetBeam Jet I Pro, etc..), but still, it's hard not to expect too much from SureFire. :)

jufam44

Enlightened

Personally I like the now discontinued L4, L5, L6 style beam profiles, and am hoping the UB2 will be similar but brighter.

Paladin
I wasn't aware that they'd discontinued the L4/5/6. Is this true? I'd hope not, I love the L6. IIRC The Optimus required optics for the zoom plate to work right. So it's got a nice TIR on it, and then the plate on top to redistribute the light. Is that right?

Size15's

Flashaholic

I think those at SureFire - from the engineering side, the production side and the marketing side - they must realise that these UA2 and UB2 flashlight will be their flagship models and with specific regard to their optical focusing system - the expectations of the beam at tight and wide and the transition must be of the highest quality.
Having said that - SureFire have demonstrated that their current crop of TIR optic based flashlights can perform the tasks they are designed and intended for without having a beam like a reflector would produce.

I am sure there will be winners and losers when it comes to whether users like the beam, or not.

Perhaps a more important consideration for people will be whether they can justify carrying the UA2 or UB2. My personal opinion is that the UA2 being slim and long and bezel-down clipped will make it easier to carry compared to the UB2 which has a larger diameter, heavier bezel.

I guess that some people will want to find a way to carry these flashlights.

Here are a few photos for size reference to some common SureFires:
DSC00607.JPG

DSC00597.JPG

DSC00603.JPG

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened

I will in any case carry the lamp, even if I must make a cosmetic operation at the hip. With your beautiful photos you do not make it for me more easy to wait.:mecry:

Rainer

L.E.D.

Enlightened

*Drools at Size15's' pics..

NOT FREAKIN FAIR!!!!! Thanks for the pics though lol..

Paladin

Enlightened

I wasn't aware that they'd discontinued the L4/5/6. Is this true? I'd hope not, I love the L6. IIRC The Optimus required optics for the zoom plate to work right. So it's got a nice TIR on it, and then the plate on top to redistribute the light. Is that right?

I was basing my discontinued comment on the 2008 catalogs not showing them in the spec pages anymore, but the Surefire web site still lists the L4 and L5 for sale.

Paladin

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a coworker who just got in the SF lights. He would like to know what the runtime is on all settings/levels for the Optimus. All i could tell him is that is rated at 100 hours for probably 2 lumes, lowest setting. But he would like to know what the runtime is for all setting.

Thanks in advance
Chris

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I CAN"T WAIT!!.
The OPtimus with the ability to focus and variable output? Talk about bleeding edge....Both of these lights will be pushing the envelope. I plan on getting an OPtimus more because of the size being better for me.
Surefire has made some very exiciting design choices in these lights. I really look forwared to having one of these in my pocket.

I love the idea of seting the light to say 30 lumens at the wide andle beam and using it to read. Then going outside and cranking it to 200 and narrowing it to throw mode. How cool is that?
Yaesumofo

Hi guys,

Sorry if something like this thread appears somewhere else.

So far, the differences between these 2 lights are -

Optimus - 200lm and variable beam between spot and flood.
Invictus - 400lm

My queries are -

1. What will the beam be on the Invictus? Spot or flood?

2. Optimus at 200lm. Fenix TK10 at 225lm? Which would actually be brighter as I have read that the measurements are taken at different distances and Fenix might overstate while Surefire might understate.

3. Wouldn't the variable head of the Optimus just be "hardware" so why not an Invictus with a variable head? (unless they use different sized emitters or something). Imagine, 400lm AND a choice between spot or flood.

4. Any word on runtimes on HIGH?

Thanks

Schuey2002

Enlightened

I'm personally surprised that I don't miss the surround beam from a reflectored flashlight. Even though the beam from say the Titan is without doubt beautiful, I have no issues of the L1's TIR optic beam in use. For my uses I've never thought 'If only the beam had spill like from a reflector.'

Al
I sure do. I'd swap out my TIR-shod SF's for the same model, but with a textured reflector factory installed, in a heartbeat! :mecry:

Size15's

Flashaholic

I sure do. I'd swap out my TIR-shod SF's for the same model, but with a textured reflector factory installed, in a heartbeat! :mecry:
Lets hope that SureFire's TIR's continue to improve then - they are far more effective photon directors than reflectors. SureFire continue to work hard to improve the beam quality.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened

Not to hijack this thread, way over my head technically & you may have covered this earlier but is there an update
on ETA for the Opt. & Invict? On pricing we're still thinking $300 - $400 MSRP?
TIA, as the technical talk just seems to increase my personal desire for ownership, YMMV.

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened

Just wondering something else.

Firstly, I don't own a Surefire but based on the specs, my first one will be either the Optimus or the Invictus.

There are a few places that currently have pre-orders for the Optimus at around USD 270-80 or something like that. Payment is upfront and won't arrive for about 2-3 months.

Now...How do you know this is going to be a great light??

It's a lot of money to put down and we haven't seen a beam shot (unless I missed it), performance, reliability, UI etc.

Is it one of those "It's a Surefire, you will know" kind of things.

Let me know (especially the people that have already pre-ordered)

Thanks

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Optimus U2A and Invictus U2B.....

A valid question. Many people want the light enough to order without seeing beamshots or runtime graphs first. I would wait until the lights have been out for a while, but that's just how I roll. Also consider that if you buy the light and don't like it, you can resell it for a minimal loss ($10-$20 depending on condition) at the CPF marketplace.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire Optimus U2A and Invictus U2B.....

Also consider that if you buy the light and don't like it, you can resell it for a minimal loss ($10-$20 depending on condition) at the CPF marketplace.

Generally true, but I am willing to bet that if you got in on one of the initial batches you could even turn a small profit. I am betting that these are going to be in short supply for the first few months. That is just a guess though, I don't have the cash to test my theory out:eek:
-Pete

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
I just couldn't resist so now I have a UA2 pre-ordered from BatteryJunction.

With the strong Aussie dollar, a couple of employee of the month gift vouchers and a few small lottery wins, my first Surefire is FREE!!!, yes FREE!!! (in my mind anyway)

Are there any other specs coming out from Surefire? (besides the catalogue)

As anyone in the world (except Surefire employees) seen this light in action?

I currently have a DBS V2 and Regalight (throwers) as well as Fenix TK10 and L2D Q5 (Flood).

Will the UA2 have equal performance to these and so be able to replace them? (as throwers and flooders)

I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :sick: