SureFire P1R Peacekeeper rechargeable flashlight

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
AS others have mentioned in the posts above, the 2600 cells are a bit "older" generation cell.
I can only speak for myself, but I am having great luck with my Panasonic NCR18650B cells. Both protected and unprotected.
Older, but potentially more durable as higher-capacity batteries tend to be more fragile. For example, some laptops are available with lower-capacity batteries with three-year warranties, as opposed to standard batteries with one-year warranties.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a valid point, as there's a tradeoff between capacity and durability. SureFire seemed to have chosen durability, which makes sense as the Peacekeeper is designed for patrol duty.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not read or am I aware of the fact that a 2600 mAh 18650 battery is more "durable" than a 3400 mAh 18650 battery.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not necessarily any lower-capacity cell, but there some designed for longer life that typically have lower capacities.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a valid point, as there's a tradeoff between capacity and durability. SureFire seemed to have chosen durability, which makes sense as the Peacekeeper is designed for patrol duty.

Do we even know what brand of 18650, SF is using in their 2600mAh 18650 cells?

Could be Chinese dreck, could be a nice Sanyo, who knows?

The big five: Sanyo, Sony Samsung, LG and Panasonic all make quality cells in the 18650 size.

Durability of the above offerings will be mostly predicated on how a person treats them, rather than any inherent capability of one over the other.

Obviously, all bets are off regarding the Chinese stuff, even though some good Chinese cells are coming to market--like many of the newer IMR cells.

You can have capacity and durability, but the bigger issue is how well suited that cell is to handle the 'current/load' of any particular emitter.

I don't think that the relatively anemic P1R will greatly tax a cell and if the P1R hits 3.0A I'd be surprised, so any of the ICR cobalt chemistry cells should be sufficient. If you start going above and beyond 5.0A then maybe an IMR, or a hybrid would be best, however, these higher current handling cells have slightly lower capacities than the light duty cells.

How you charge, discharge and store your cells will matter quite a bit if you're trying to eek out a lot of cycles.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the SF branded 18650s, as I'd prefer to look elsewhere and know what I'm getting. Also, I'd save a bunch of money in the process, but I understand why people want to stay with the SF marque.

Chris

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something else to consider, the 2600's will hold a little higher output towards the end of runtime. That is something I personally like.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something else to consider, the 2600's will hold a little higher output towards the end of runtime. That is something I personally like.

It depends on the brand. Sanyo 2600mAh cells hold a really nice voltage over time relative to some other brands. It's not universal, that's why 'knowing' what brand of li-ion you have under that SF wrapper, is important.

Chris

DAN92

Enlightened
DAN92, definitely get a hold of Surefire about your twist cap tearing a nub in the battery. Apparently I was the first to report this issue to them, so they sent me a new 18650 and a new tailcap: the click version that is used in the dual mode. I don't know if they did it by mistake or if maybe they are starting to get issues with the twist cap.
ok, thank you for the info TheVat'.;)

I contacted Surefire again on the problem of the marking of the spring of the switch " Tactical " on the rechargeable battery 18650.

My 18650.
surefi11.jpg

Response of Surefire, I quote: "Dear Dan.,
I consulted my technical support team and they advised me that what you are seeing is not damage. It apparently is normal wear on a battery from electric current.

Thank you,
SureFire International Sales Team"

kj2

Flashaholic
I contacted Surefire again on the problem of the marking of the spring of the switch " Tactical " on the rechargeable battery 18650.

My 18650.
surefi11.jpg

Response of Surefire, I quote: "Dear Dan.,
I consulted my technical support team and they advised me that what you are seeing is not damage. It apparently is normal wear on a battery from electric current.

Thank you,
SureFire International Sales Team"

Yeah, right.. Not damaged. Don't believe that for a second.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear Dan,

Thank you,
SureFire International Sales Team

Wat?

This is an absurd response, especially from anyone with a "technical support" moniker.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the markings on the battery is not from "electric current", I thought the marking of the spring on the battery is pretty normal with a twisty tailcap? :confused:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't expect customer service to have the best knowledge in technical subjects. Regardless, I just checked and engineering is aware of the issue and investigating.

I suppose you could bend the spring and that should stop it from scratching the battery (I did that on a lot of my Maglites)...

AirmanV

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. I noticed this marking on my battery inside my P3X as soon as I replaced the stock tailcap with a 6PX tailcap. The spring on the P3X tailcap is very slightly shorter than the 6PX and P2X tailcap. Maybe the slightly shorter length spring prevents the problem? As soon as I replaced the tailcap on my p3x with the stock tailcap I no longer got that marking after I replaced it with new batteries.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the spring issue occur only in the tactical version? Does it also happen in the dual output model?