SureFire P1R Peacekeeper rechargeable flashlight

Kif

Enlightened
Although I already knew the answer but I still tested the Z59 tail cap on P1R.
The Z59 tail cap is interchangeable with P1R's tail cap
Actually the guts are even the same (with newer version of the Z59)
Use the malkoff tail cap on P1R should also have no problem

kssmith

Enlightened
I got my Peacekeeper yesterday, and used it last night at work. I have been excited about this light, and was very impressed with it. I have the two stage version, clicky. I am a LEO, so a great light is a must. I think that the clicky switch is excellent, and I'm really happy that they made the high output first on this, unlike the Furys. The output was impressive with its great combination of both throw and spill. The only two complaints I have so far are; it's a little too short for a primary light (IMO) and it's a little light. I prefer a tad more weight on my lights. I have the UNR that I use as my primary work light. It's unfortunate to hear the problems with the twisty version.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

TheVat26

Enlightened
Spoke with Surefire CS today and they are sending me another twisty and battery. Very happy that they authorized this over the phone. I've never had to deal with Surefire CS before and it was quite reassuring knowing someone is there to answer the phone and a solution was resolved within just a couple of minutes.

I dont have a older twisty 6P tailcap right now, but Surefire told me it works just fine. So it's a good option to those who prefer the butter smooth twisty of the older 6P's to the stiff stock one on the P1R.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
P1R Peacekeeper review is up. It is an awesome light.

It's not related to temperature or time, so my guess would be battery voltage.

I agree there is no timer but I think it's temperature and voltage. See the following chart . . .

20140907213231-be99fd67.jpg

The first test (blue line on graph) was conducted with the light positioned so that air could move freely around it. Runtime was right on spec of 1.75 hours to 10%. Since this result was so different from yours I suspected heat was a player so I ran the test again with the Peacekeeper covered by a small box to trap all the heat in. You can see the results on the graph.

Surefire claimed a two seconds reset timing on this. Bummer! When they offered a one second reset timing on the E1DL, I was overjoyed and it quickly became my favorite Surefire flashlight . . .

I don't want to get your hopes up too much but I think the reset timing is less than 2 seconds. I'm not sure it's quite 1 second but it feels like less than two. Perhaps someone else can confirm (or refute) this.

The twisty tailcap is a HUGE disappointment. It works great in constant on. However, unlike the 6P, there is no "right spot" that you can freely momentary press as a signal. I tried mm after mm of different loose spots and near every time after I would release from momentary, it would flicker, or seem to remain on at about 1/4 power. The travel of the switch is very very very short and requires A LOT of pressure to activate. I have been using it for about 5 minutes and my thumb is a little sore. The spring connecting to the negative of the battery has a little nub that is also tearing into the battery terminal.

I had much the same experience with the tactical tailcap. I don't think it is any different than previous tactical caps but rather the 18650 is the slightest bit longer than 2xCR123. When I loaded the light with CR123s the switch feels and acts just like all my other tactical tailcaps and is much easier to operate. They will definitely need to make some tweaks for ease of operation and to reduce the wear on the battery's negative terminal.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to get your hopes up too much but I think the reset timing is less than 2 seconds. I'm not sure it's quite 1 second but it feels like less than two. Perhaps someone else can confirm (or refute) this.
Suddenly I possess a glimmer of hope. I hope it's real. Again, thanks for the fantastic review that we have all been waiting for. Both yourself and Robin24K!

prop

Newly Enlightened
How does the beam compare to the R1 Lawman? Same throw?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing. Having checked on Surefire's website, it is good to see that you can still use CR123 'if necessary'.

Thanks for the photos. SureFire finally with a 18650 light :) Have they seen 'the light'? ;)

But they haven't quite got the idea of using rechargeable batteries. They call this a 'rechargeable' light, but it is not, it is a light using a rechargeable battery. A poor description to have on the box. Especially when you consider that the benefit here is the ability to carry spare rechargeable cells.

Frequently 'rechargeable' lights have built in battery packs which are not user changeable. This makes them generally smaller, but less flexible than lights you can change the battery in.

I would expect a 'rechargeable' light to allow me to plug a charger directly into the light itself.

Surefire call this a 'game changer' on their website. However this is a bit like Apple adding a new feature to iOS which has been in use in the Android world for a few years already, and then selling the new iphone with an 'amazing innovation'.

A step in the right direction for Surefire, but only with regard to catching up with the competition.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suddenly I possess a glimmer of hope. . .

You better wait for confirmation from Robin or someone else. It's always possible I'm just counting slow :shrug:

How does the beam compare to the R1 Lawman? Same throw?

The R1 Lawman is one of the lights used in the beamshot comparisons in the review linked above. The Lawman is 25% more powerful and has a larger reflector so it has a pretty good advantage in throw for its first 2 minutes of operation. However, after the first two minutes the Lawman steps down to about 65-70% so the Peacekeeper would be roughly equivalent at that point.

But they haven't quite got the idea of using rechargeable batteries . . .

Good post and I think you hit the nail on the head. If there is anything that is potentially "game changing" about the Peacekeeper, it's simply the fact that it marks the first time SureFire has used a non-proprietary rechargeable battery in one of their lights. It will be interesting to see whether or not this does lead to other changes with their products in the future.

SureFire has always referred to lights as "rechargeable" even when their batteries are removed for recharging (think back to the old incandescent 6R, 7Z, etc.) so at least they are being consistent. I'm with you and normally think of something that has built-in charging capability when I hear the term rechargeable today.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree there is no timer but I think it's temperature and voltage. See the following chart . . .

Thanks for the review. This chart is quite interesting. It shows that under normal usage, i.e. handholding and moving around, the regulation is actually pretty good for a 1 cell light. But if you set it down in a place with low air flow, it will throttle down a little to prevent it getting too hot. IMO, they've got the levels just right.
I also like the fact that they haven't tried to drive as many lumens out of it as possible like a lot of the manufacturers are doing these days, and they haven't given it a hundred modes. This is the first light I've been excited about for a while. I can't wait for mine to come.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second test is awesome news. Makes me want one even more. The regulation stays above 70% for well over a hour. It could be flatter but not bad. The built in over temp sensitivity is good.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did another runtime test, and it's still somewhere inbetween Jim's two tests. Had the light out in the open with the A/C set to 72F... :ohgeez:

P1R_Runtime.png

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is an awesome chart... How would it perform with a 3400 Panasonic?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did another runtime test, and it's still somewhere inbetween Jim's two tests. Had the light out in the open with the A/C set to 72F... :ohgeez:

I don't think "normal" ambient temps have a huge affect on the regulation. It was about 77F for all of my tests.

The one thing that has the biggest effect in my test is simply how well heat can move away from the light. It's not as if I have a fan on it (unless stated otherwise), in fact it's kind of situated between my PC tower and monitor which are both sources of some heat. If the bezel is tightly confined by the testing rig, it won't be able to shed heat as effectively as it will in actual use.

That is an awesome chart... How would it perform with a 3400 Panasonic?

Looks like this with an AW 3400. Stock SureFire 2600 shown for comparison.

20140910045002-8980971c.jpg

prop

Newly Enlightened
Cant decide if the R1 or P1R is best for duty carry.

I like the P1R's size and 18650 battery. But I also like the R1's medium setting and strobe.

Stainz

Enlightened
My beloved Surefire collection's last entries were last fall - an LB3T and M3LT-S, both local 'closeout' sale items, and a T1A Titan. This may just be a contender for 'next'... perhaps Christmas. I will admit to a sojourn to the 'dark side'... Olight M21 & M22, Fenix PD35, and Terralux TT-4 - with some protected 18650's and an I2, too, as evidence. My CR123-only dictum has been amended! It looks like Surefire has changed, too. Thanks for the info - and 'bump'. The two level starts on 'low' - great for my indoor night-time cat/hairball avoidance! I like buying US-made goods, but I also know that the 18650's and charger are likely from the orient - someone reassure me that at least the light was made here, please. The roughness in the tailcap threads seem to infer this. Thanks again!

Stainz