Surefire Problem E2D???

flipe8

Newly Enlightened
I just got a replacement tailcap for my Surefire E2D, as that seemed to be the most likely problem for the light's failure to work(took waaaayyy too long to get, but that's another strory). I'm wondering what else might be the problem? Is it possible that the re-chargeable batteries are the culprit? I'm at a bit of a loss right now and the the thought of sending the whole light in isn't overly appealing, being that it took the better part of 7 weeks just to get the replacement part. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks!

flipe8

Newly Enlightened
Uh . . . Did you try primaries?

Do you mean non-chargeables? Yes, I have new batteries and they don't work.If that isn't what you mean, could you please explain? Thanks. All I know is that the light was wonky from the start with the cap working about 70% of the time. It then went downhill to the point of not working at all.

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say "failure to work", what do you mean exactly? Does it not light up at all, ever?

You might try cleaning the threads and contacts of the light, and then relubricating the threads with a suitable lubricant (NyoGel is used by SureFire, I believe) and see if that helps.

If you have been using rechargeable batteries then there's a good chance the the voltage was too high and that you have damaged the lamp assembly. If this is a case then a new MN03 would see you right.

Regards,
Tempest

flipe8

Newly Enlightened
When I stated "failure to work", I meant the light would not turn on at all, regardless of how tight the cap was screwed down. It did this from day1 to the point of not working at all now. I'll try cleaning it out and look at getting another lamp assembly, but I never got a chance to actually use the rechargeables, as the light stopped working before I bought the rechargeables eventhough I did put them in the light.
On a side note-I do use the rechargeables in a cheap, no-name, 3watt LED with no issues.

tussery

Enlightened
Did you put 2 3.7V RCR123's into a E2D? If you did then you destroyed the lamp as they can not handle the extra voltage that the batteries put out.

flipe8

Newly Enlightened
No, it looks like the batteries are 3.0 volts based on the writing on their sides. I'm gonna have to send it in, aren't I?

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
Your problem might be as simple as a blown lamp. Not for any fancy reason it just might have given out. Its not unlikley especially if you got good use out of it before you needed to replace the tailcap. Lamps sometimes just die (I had a brand new P90 die on me after 3 minutes of runtime in my G3), and theres nothing you can do about it.

If you can get a good look at the filament then try to see if its there are any breaks in it, or just pop in a replacement lamp and see if it works then.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any lithium rechargeable have a too high voltage for a standard incandescent lamp. The MN03 is not actually a 6V lamp. I think it's more a 4.5-5V lamp (maybe lower), because voltage of the batteries drop under load. 3V lithium rechargeable are special. They have a circuit that lower the higher voltage, down to 3V. At this point, voltage won't drop to a lower level because the rechargeables can handle the load... Giving 6V to this poor bulb kills it! If you want to run your E2D on rechargeable, Lumens Factory sells good lamp assemblies that work on rechargeable. This is what I currently have in my E2D (Lumens Factory EO-E2R). For more information, www.lumensfactory.com. Look for the EO-E2R (extreme output, 40 minutes runtime) or the HO-E2R (high output, 60 minutes runtime). You need to know that these lamps are for 4.2V rechargeable, not 3V.

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're using the stock lamp assembly (the one that came with it) you should not be using rechargeables at all - the voltage is too high for the stock lamp assembly to take and you may have blown it...

curlyfry562

Enlightened
I have had similar trouble with my E2E, where the rechargeable Li-Ions read 3.0v, but after checking with multimeter it reads 3.6 always, not only after pulling off the charger.

You probably killed the bulb, go to surefire and buy a new one.

When in doubt don't use rechargeable batteries in incans.

Good luck

generic808

Enlightened
Most definitely the bulb went :poof: Using RCR's in it is a no no. Surefire will not replace it. You're going to have to pony up the dough and get yourself a new one.

As per Surefire warranty:

"Lamps will burn out and batteries will be used up. Everything else is covered by our no-hassle guarantee: If it breaks, we fix it."

flipe8

Newly Enlightened
Will this work?

Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it. I just ordered a LED conversion kit(can't remember the sku#, but it was for the E2D). Would I be able to use the rechargeables with it, or should I avoid them altoghter? I ask this as I have a no-name 3watt Luxeon LED at work that handles the rechargeables without issue.
Either way, I'll be more happy with the extended run-time of the LED.
Thanks again, guys!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Will this work?

We'll have to know which one you bought. It will have to depend on the driver/circuit they used for the kit.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
I just got a replacement tailcap for my Surefire E2D, as that seemed to be the most likely problem for the light's failure to work(took waaaayyy too long to get, but that's another strory). I'm wondering what else might be the problem? Is it possible that the re-chargeable batteries are the culprit? I'm at a bit of a loss right now and the the thought of sending the whole light in isn't overly appealing, being that it took the better part of 7 weeks just to get the replacement part. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks!

The advice others here is on the money. I have 2 incan E2D's, 1 ea E2DL (dual-output) with another coming any day, and I would never use any rechargeables in those or my higher end SureFire lights. Actually I have never used any yet. When you get another MNO3 and some brand new batteries (SF if possible, don't void the warranty:caution:), well that narrows it down for you as to what might be going on. My initial guess is the MNO3 is blown, but other guys here at this great forum could troubleshoot your situation far better than me.

Good Luck,

blinder switch