SureFire R1 Lawman

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light came with a cradle for two 123's. Wouldnt be too hard to mod it to accept a common 18650. You'd lose the in-body charging, but it may be an option if a rechargeable 18650 is preferred, or the proprietary cell is no longer produced (and I dont think it is, though SF may still have some).
My point was more about the wasted space due to the carrier. Malkoff hound dog is about the same length with MD4 and takes 2x18650, meanwhile R1 only takes 1. You dont need a proprietary battery for integrated charging. Its just bad design/wasted potential. With 2x 18650 the light might have actually been able to hold its 750lm. As-is the regulation curve on it is pretty terrible, running below 70% after only a few minutes.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea itself is very good. Beam shape is great too. Unfortunately, SF didn't think of what Olight did. This 18650 in its own SF case was designed to operate simultaneously an electronic switch in the head, which needs a permanent connection, and a mechanical switch in the tail. If the SF used Olight batteries with a "-" ring in the head, this would greatly reduce the length and costs, and with a regular 18650 or 2 * 123 one could always use the maximum mode. I didn't like the R1 because in order to use the tail switch with one hand after using the head switch, I had to make an extra movement to intercept the flashlight - it's too long. But in general, it is very reliable. It makes no sense to compare it with modern flashlights in performance, it is too old.

I wrote a couple of letters to the SF about the modernization of the control system. They use a magnetic ring so that each position corresponds to one brightness mode or some kind of blinking mode. If each position of the ring is assigned not 1 level, but 1 work program and combined with the Lawman reflector (he has a very useful beam) and the IB system, add 21700 and a click button, then this will be ideal, unless, of course, add the correct brightness control system.

That is, imagine that there is a magnetic ring with 5 positions, just a thought example:
1 position - high only (stepdown to 60% in 10 sec)
2 position - IB / High (like Fury 1500 IB)
3 position - 0.5%, 10%, 60%, double click from any mode - 100%, no memory, start from low
4 position - High , Strobe on triple press
5 position - Strobe, SOS, slow Strobe, Beakon, etc,,, with memory last regime

SF never answered me, although the letters reached them. They are unlikely to create something like this, since it will kill the demand for the rest of their products, or not, since it will be too expensive for ordinary people))

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea itself is very good. Beam shape is great too. Unfortunately, SF didn't think of what Olight did. This 18650 in its own SF case was designed to operate simultaneously an electronic switch in the head, which needs a permanent connection, and a mechanical switch in the tail. If the SF used Olight batteries with a "-" ring in the head, this would greatly reduce the length and costs, and with a regular 18650 or 2 * 123 one could always use the maximum mode. I didn't like the R1 because in order to use the tail switch with one hand after using the head switch, I had to make an extra movement to intercept the flashlight - it's too long. But in general, it is very reliable. It makes no sense to compare it with modern flashlights in performance, it is too old.

I wrote a couple of letters to the SF about the modernization of the control system. They use a magnetic ring so that each position corresponds to one brightness mode or some kind of blinking mode. If each position of the ring is assigned not 1 level, but 1 work program and combined with the Lawman reflector (he has a very useful beam) and the IB system, add 21700 and a click button, then this will be ideal, unless, of course, add the correct brightness control system.

That is, imagine that there is a magnetic ring with 5 positions, just a thought example:
1 position - high only (stepdown to 60% in 10 sec)
2 position - IB / High (like Fury 1500 IB)
3 position - 0.5%, 10%, 60%, double click from any mode - 100%, no memory, start from low
4 position - High , Strobe on triple press
5 position - Strobe, SOS, slow Strobe, Beakon, etc,,, with memory last regime

SF never answered me, although the letters reached them. They are unlikely to create something like this, since it will kill the demand for the rest of their products, or not, since it will be too expensive for ordinary people))
Light with 2x ordinary 21700, 1000lm Hi flat regulated (80-100lm low), momentary mechanical side switch, twist head past detent counter clockwise for strobe. Rotate tailcap so select between Hi only, Low only. Hi/low (like fury). Cradle charging. Thats what Id like to see.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light came with a cradle for two 123's. Wouldnt be too hard to mod it to accept a common 18650. You'd lose the in-body charging, but it may be an option if a rechargeable 18650 is preferred, or the proprietary cell is no longer produced (and I dont think it is, though SF may still have some).
SureFire is still making R1 batteries, the item number is 24132 or R1BATTERY-R. It is now 3450mAh, up from 2900mAh, but you can only order it from customer service.