Surefire Saint headlamp? (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Saint headlamp?

Gee, Giz, I understand your points and you are well qualified to make these judgments. Sometimes we "think aloud" while typing without fully thinking things through. YP is a relative newcomer, perhaps, without your depth of experience. Although things are cleared up now, maybe we could go a bit easier on the newbies in the future.

With the wide, even, flood, of my Zebra H30, I was a little surprised how quickly 80 lumens gets spread out and can understand the need for more in some cases. Granted, a spot will be needed to see at greater distances and even 200lu of flood won't do any good at 300'.

On the flip side of the balance sheet, often in these forums, there seems to be blind devotion to SF. SF is one of my faves, but nothing is perfect for everyone's needs. Giz, you probably understand better than most of us the infinite details and challenges required to produce a top quality and reliable product. Please continue to keep us in the loop. You are one of the CPF's great "professors" of lighting products.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

jayflash,
Point well taken. I have tried to learn to deal with and address the post and not the poster. It's an artificial separation to my way of thinking but to keep in line on the forum, a needed one. By doing so, I didn't consider the background of the poster and I doubt I could glean much insight even if I did without seeking to read all of the other posts made by him? :thinking: :shrug:

However, to most of us who don't recognize or really know the background or qualifications of a particular poster, what we do have to assess is the content and message in the post. We have an incredible diversity in all aspects on CPF from the background and experiences of the members to the full range of products available and discussed. We also have more BS than ever, IMHO and I am not sure there is a nice or friendly way to call BS out.

Yucca Patrol may be a relative newbie to CPF but I gather from his posts here in this thread that he is not a newbie to the use and needs of his flashlights! I feel he was more than qualified to make the comments he made and I perceive now that a real frustration with lack of what he needs prompted him to take a shot at SF which on the face of it seemed ill founded and simply not true.

My first post was completely tongue in cheek but seemed a reasonable band wagon joining in response to the quoted post of Yucca Patrol.

The safe and easy path is to simply ignore stuff on CPF that rings false yet is offered up as word. I know I ignore a lot these days and no doubt when I finally elect to post, it is with a vengeance. However it is the post I attempt to attack because I don't know the poster from Adam nor do I know what their motives or reasons may be in making the post.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply McG and your points are, or course, valid. Yes, I suppose it's better for everyone's knowledge to quickly dispel the baloney.

Congratulations on your 15.5k posts! Wow. Again, we appreciate the time you've taken for our benefit.

SureAddicted

Enlightened

Maybe we should hold off on judging something that isn't even out, SF does have a habit of changing specs at the last minute.

Yucca Patrol, on the same advertisement as the saint headlamp, they mention the Petzl Ultra which has 350 lumens of output...maybe thats a better choice for you.

Steve

WDR65

Enlightened

I'm very interested to see this one. I've been waiting on a replacement for my Apex and this might be it.

bezel

Newly Enlightened

This would be an awesome heallamp if it could take P60 drop ins.

Agree.

I have also thought that in keeping with Surefire's overall theme of interchangeability, a headlamp host that would accept all SF E-series heads would be nice.
It could look a lot like the one pictured with the rotating base for beam direction adjustment and rear battery compartment.
But, instead of a built-in light engine - just screw on any E-series head.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I've been on 'vacation' to climb Ben Nevis and enjoying a week in the wild land of the Scots.

What I find really interesting is where the news of the 'Saint' broke first...

Burgess

Flashaholic

Hurray -- Al has returned ! :thumbsup:

One question for Al, if i may . . . .

How long have you " known of / heard of " the Saint headlamp ?

Was this something very recent ?

Or has it been in development for months and months and months ?

Just curious about how quickly these projects progress.

And, of course, we can understand if you are unable to discuss such matters.

Thank you for your insight.

:popcorn:
_

Size15's

Flashaholic

One question for Al, if i may . . . .
How long have you " known of / heard of " the Saint headlamp?
...Just curious about how quickly these projects progress.
Whilst I'm not going to answer your question directly (sorry)...
I will echo Don's comments about SureFire lead times:
You do realize that the P7 came into existence because of SureFire and at their request for such a LED to Seoul?!? In many examples, I have seen a SF prototype that didn't make it into production and available to consumers until well over a year of lapsed time. With lead times like this...

Cydonia

Enlightened

Interesting development and a much hoped for and anticipated product from SureFire. Just how long we will truly have to wait for it is the question...

matt_j

Enlightened

I read the Outside article and was sort of surprised that this headlamp never made it to the SHOT show. I also didn't find it listed anywhere, even on SF website especialy after magazine release that deals with "now/very soon" and not "later" equipment.I have my money down on UA2 and hopefully I don't retire by the time it comes out.

But from the looks of it that headlamp is perfect. It has a decent output and if I can judge by quality of SF products it will hold out to the worst. Plus article said that there will be a line of healdlamps so one can only assume brighter output as the time goes on. Like everyone I'm frustrated with SF production/release times but that's a blessing/curse of the internet. The price to know what's on the drawing board now, is a longer wait for an actual product, therefore more time for us to bad mouth the item before it even hits the production line. Also you can't please everyone with the product specs. There always going to be somebody who will have a special need for a specific function because of their job/hobby. If you put the brightest, smallest, sturdiest headlamp out there and priced it accordingly it will most likely not sell due to cost. In order to make it affordable you need to mass produce it but intial cost will scare the buyers. Yes few of the hardcore users would buy it but that's about it. Not everyone can afford or realizes a need for multiple lights. Only few choose the best light for the job and are willing to pay for it. I admit I would love to have a headlamp that is: 200 lumen, water proof to 200 feet, shapable beam with battery indicator and brightens control, crush proof, small, comfortable and priced around a $100. Well it is not going to happen. That's why I have few headlamps: Pelican for diving, zipka for work, xp for play and e+ for backup. WIll I buy SF headlamp? Of course. Will it be my only one and only light? Hell no.

Awesome name for a lamp too :)

SilentK

Enlightened

I read the Outside article and was sort of surprised that this headlamp never made it to the SHOT show. I also didn't find it listed anywhere, even on SF website especialy after magazine release that deals with "now/very soon" and not "later" equipment.I have my money down on UA2 and hopefully I don't retire by the time it comes out.

But from the looks of it that headlamp is perfect. It has a decent output and if I can judge by quality of SF products it will hold out to the worst. Plus article said that there will be a line of healdlamps so one can only assume brighter output as the time goes on. Like everyone I'm frustrated with SF production/release times but that's a blessing/curse of the internet. The price to know what's on the drawing board now, is a longer wait for an actual product, therefore more time for us to bad mouth the item before it even hits the production line. Also you can't please everyone with the product specs. There always going to be somebody who will have a special need for a specific function because of their job/hobby. If you put the brightest, smallest, sturdiest headlamp out there and priced it accordingly it will most likely not sell due to cost. In order to make it affordable you need to mass produce it but intial cost will scare the buyers. Yes few of the hardcore users would buy it but that's about it. Not everyone can afford or realizes a need for multiple lights. Only few choose the best light for the job and are willing to pay for it. I admit I would love to have a headlamp that is: 200 lumen, water proof to 200 feet, shapable beam with battery indicator and brightens control, crush proof, small, comfortable and priced around a $100. Well it is not going to happen. That's why I have few headlamps: Pelican for diving, zipka for work, xp for play and e+ for backup. WIll I buy SF headlamp? Of course. Will it be my only one and only light? Hell no.

Awesome name for a lamp too :)

I could not have said it better myself. We do need to stop saying bad things about a product untill we have held it in our hands. We are saying bad things on this product just because it said 100 lumens and we have a very small photo. If you ever actually compared the surefire catolog to their site, you can make one conclution about their new products. That thing is that surefire tends to, if they can, improve their products beyond what they said they would. So that leds me myself to belive, that surefire does not give us actual specifications, rather than the minimum that we will see with this product. Like the surefire E2DL, if surefire stated that it would be two stage, yet for some reason {i dont know why} that they could not deliver two stages, but only one, we would all be disapointed and look at surefire differently. Besides all of us here like to collect flashlights, so we are all acting like this is the only headlamp we will ever own. :ohgeez: As said above this light will have a place in our collection. Besides we all know there is going to be atleast one more so, lets just wait.

bezel

Newly Enlightened

I agree that from the photo this headlamp looks very good.
My personal use of headlamps has been almost 100% hands-free task (area) lighting with little need for throw or crazy lumens. I need runtime.
For me 100 lumens seems perfect for the high level.
I want it simple and reliable - 2 level UI - forward clicky - 15 lumens low and 100 high.
If I had the need for hands-free spotting - then I'd want a 200 to 400 lumen high with monster throw.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting headlamp. I would love to see it in person when it comes out.

I googled the Petzl Ultra as well. At $425, it's a big step up from their existing line. :faint:

rtt

Enlightened

Any new news?
popcorn.gif

CRC123

Newly Enlightened

:twothumbsA rep at SureFire said it's coming this fall, maybe late Sept! Wasn't in the catalog because it wasn't a greenlight by last November/December when SureFire has to go to print. I'll bet it's in Utah for the Outdoor Retailer show next month.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm... interesting. A SureFire headlamp. Maybe they have some other tricks up their sleeve this year. I know I'm not alone in wishing for a AA-powered light.

Not at all. Someone should put together a video with the Saint Crispin's day speech from the Henry V (and the PS3 ads), and a whole barrage of pictures of Surefire lights and Enegizer AA batteries, maybe the bunny for kicks. Send that into SF, it will be so moving they won't be able to resist us (who will be known as "The Movement" from this time forward) Perhaps the video will even be adopted as their own add campaign for the light.

So, who's up for it? This plan cannot fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts