Surefire Stratum (S2-BK-WH) Review

CR123_CR123_CR123

Newly Enlightened
Trippy, i was going to lookup the Stratum model in CPF search but saw this thread. I saw it listed as a new product in knifecenter. I don't remember seeing this model mentioned before.

Is the Stratum a new type of SF flashlight? Does it replace an existing model? :confused:

purelite

Enlightened
Wow, Seems like an updated 6P doesnt it?

I know SF must have an inventory of those K2 leds and intends on using them all up in their new product lineup but isnt the K2 from about 2 years ago?

I like the looks of these new lights but I also love SF knurling and feel kinda sad its gone. Also no more modularity with the P60 platform with the dedicated sealed heads and new style body means no more cost effective upgrades which is a bummer also.

I still want one but I am a bit melancholy:sigh:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Wow, Seems like an updated 6P doesnt it?
...Also no more modularity with the P60 platform with the dedicated sealed heads and new style body means no more cost effective upgrades which is a bummer also.

I still want one but I am a bit melancholy:sigh:
As long as SureFire continues to offer their incandescent line there will drop-in hosts. But these new models are smaller brighter better than dragging on with backwards compatibility with incandescents.
Progress can't be everything to everyone

Illum

Flashaholic
the FC/CE seems to exist on the bezels of the new lights, the Z2-S review had the same style and location. I don't recall seeing it on my older lights, on the A2 its tiny:thinking:

When surefire decided to break compatibility in the circuit designs in their KX heads I'm beginning to notice the entire style to which these new lights are designed have changed entirely...I can't speak for others but I think I'll stay on the wall until my existing surefire's wear out or if there are any good deals on surefire's old line of lights :shrug:

I'm interested to know whether the flat part of the reflector makes any difference in the spill beam, especially when considering the height of the reflector and the viewing angle of the K2. And how is the tint?

I wonder if they're trying to get rid of whatever K2's they had.

Considering that typically a "reel" of LEDs consists of about 1000, if their R&D bought a truckload of reels it would take quite some time to finish the supply, and by then they could discontinue it to merge into newer LEDs and update the specs without discontinuing the light. A good example would be the shift from LuxV KL4s into SSC P4 KL4s

Last edited:

chai

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Sweet looking light
Any beam shots?

tsl

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I'm interested in what the tint is too.

It looks like the Z2-S and Stratum may share the same bezel. Certainly, the reflector design looks the same as does the bezel retaining ring and markings.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I wish they found a better way to switch then by using this "cycle through the modes" nonsense that many other brands are already working past.

Crenshaw
Seems to me that SF is expanding its customer base. Not everybody wants or needs on/off one level only type of deal.

Low, medium and high, nice black finish, reflector. I might have to buy one of these. This seems as if Surefire has actually made a light for me!
See? What'd I just say?

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Seems to me that SF is expanding its customer base. Not everybody wants or needs on/off one level only type of deal.

This seems to me to be spot on, especially as this light doesn't appear to replace anything but instead seems to be a new light in their range. It could be a trial to see just how much interest there is in such a multi-level clicky. If people buy it, they'll probably make more!

Rocketman

Enlightened
This seems to me to be spot on, especially as this light doesn't appear to replace anything but instead seems to be a new light in their range. It could be a trial to see just how much interest there is in such a multi-level clicky. If people buy it, they'll probably make more!

People don't just need tactical lights. A medium level with a new led means long runtime is available with good brightness. A manufacturer is not going to make a light with a high power led and make the circuit run it on medium brightness. I am however disappointed that the led here is not a new led, or am I wrong about that? Discontinued means it is an older led, is that not right?

My Malkoff M60L is an exception, of course. But Malkoff is in that business.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
People don't just need tactical lights. A medium level with a new led means long runtime is available with good brightness. A manufacturer is not going to make a light with a high power led and make the circuit run it on medium brightness. I am however disappointed that the led here is not a new led, or am I wrong about that? Discontinued means it is an older led, is that not right?

My Malkoff M60L is an exception, of course. But Malkoff is in that business.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean this as a bad thing. I'm tempted to get a Stratum myself when they reach these shores :D

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since Lumileds discontinued the K2 line, perhaps Surefire got a great deal on a large volume of K2s from them.

The K2 is a very nice, very tough LED.

SF, Streamlight, and the other major players must contend with performance, and also reliability of the product.

Makes me wonder why SF didn't use a more modern emitter. Is there something they found in testing/R&D that made these current LED's insufficient in terms of robustness or reliability?

I bet very few manufacturers, especially the overseas companies that jump on the Latest And Greatest bandwagon, have done any reliability testing, or their testing protocols aren't as stringent as SF's.

Also, I'm wondering if the K2 has been discontinued, but still made available to SF as an exclusive? SF probably orders enough of them to make it worthwhile to Phillips.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review. I'm thinking that a surprisingly hot head/bezel means that the new heatsinking design is a good one, conducting the heat to the head assembly considerably better than the older P60 design.

To me, this seems to some sort of conceptual product upgrade path from the 6PL, except for changing from a Z41 twistie to this clicky tailcap? I do understand that SF is soon to be upgrading the 6PL with an integrated LED heat/bezel assembly, but the Stratus appears to occupy one slot directly higher than an upgraded 6PL.

Seems to be a very good all-purpose entry-level LED flashlight from SF. Bonus points to the first person here who gets lux figures & runtime data from it on 2x CR123 vs 1x 17670. :huh:

Edit: Personally, my main dislike here is SF's new style of bezel rings. :sick2:
I really hope they are compatible with the older ones so we can put our nifty un-crenellated SS bezel rings in them.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF's habit is to release product to retailers first, then shoot out an email announcing new products on the SF website.

I expect we'll see it online soon enough.

In the meantime, howzabout some beam shots? :D

-Trevor