Surefire Stratum (S2-BK-WH) Review

sfca

Enlightened
I really wish that SF had taken this body and done it with the UI and Tailcap from the Z2-S. Would have been perfect and LEO work.

Why? The Z2-S combat grip looks nice. I suppose you could try at the marketplace to make a lego although it's a bit early now
yellowlaugh.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised at the runtime/output numbers for high. I guess cuz its a K2 led it doesn't get the same output as the cree-based LX2, etc.

Illum

Flashaholic
Makes me wonder why SF didn't use a more modern emitter. Is there something they found in testing/R&D that made these current LED's insufficient in terms of robustness or reliability?

Since the K2 reflects the conventional luxeon radiance pattern could it contribute to its usage? Say...reflector specifications?

I'm surprised at the runtime/output numbers for high. I guess cuz its a K2 led it doesn't get the same output as the cree-based LX2, etc.

K2s efficiency curves are more optimal at a higher current sink than CREE, which operates comfortably well below 700-1000ma. since the LX2 uses optics, I'm not sure how well a side by side comparison would go in terms of output variations:whistle:

Last edited:

Litbobber

Enlightened
SF's habit is to release product to retailers first, then shoot out an email announcing new products on the SF website.

I expect we'll see it online soon enough.

In the meantime, howzabout some beam shots? :D

-Trevor

Hi all,
I would really really love to do some beam shot for everyone on here but i dont have a
camera.Must get one before another light purchase.

Thanks

Vernon

Enlightened
The FM34 diffuser fits the S2 perfectly. I must say it's quite nice having a SF light with the option of having the low mode come on the first click.

Illum

Flashaholic
Why has Surefire removed the knurling from all of their newer lights?

Apparently the earliest non-knurling light that came out (*cough* E1B *cough*) has gotten very optimistic results that granted the choice of going without knurling...I'd imagine the cost of production would be cheaper too. Note that since 2003 the only lights with knurling is the digital plus series, digital lumamax series, and the executive series. Perhaps its limited to certain series?:ohgeez:

that flat reflector has some potential for boring to fit a P7...but that'll depend on what milky has in mind :D

Vernon

Enlightened
I generally prefer the knurling as well, but I must say, after using the Stratum for the past two hours tonight, I've been impressed. I've been pressure washing my deck - with wet hands, this thing seems to grip just fine.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see a runtime/regulation plot. I'm hoping it has a nice flat output curve for the whole two hours.....

Illum

Flashaholic
???

What's wrong with the reflector?

Do reflectors need to be visually aesthetically pleasing to work well?

Reflectors with flat regions first appeared in DX where lights with large heads came with this "flat part" in the reflectors to allow some spill despite the high intensity throw. The reflectors, even if OP on occiasion are plastic...I think thats the association some get with this sort of reflectors.

While it is true that aesthetics derives no greater importance than functionality, its an interesting perspective to consider when looking at a surefire light...

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me that SF is expanding its customer base. Not everybody wants or needs on/off one level only type of deal...

That´s a good thing, actually.

At least we will not hear anymore that "Surefire is for LEO or military, not for you!" thing when we say something bad about SF lights...

And if they are really expanding their customer base, I guess we will have even more options, and more SF lights is always a good thing... :D

Last edited: