Surefire Stratum (S2-BK-WH) Review

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I've been saving for the LX1 and I can't wait any longer :ohgeez:, I placed an order for a Stratum, hopefully two things, the Stratum comes quick and the LX1 doesn't finally get released next week :sick2:.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still trying to decide on what to get - an updated E1B or a new Stratum - decisions, decisions...

sjmack

Newly Enlightened
Bah, I just ordered an E2DL. I'll have to get one of these, too, I guess :(

Vernon

Enlightened
E2DL initiates on high and the Stratum on low...gotta have both lights.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a shame the there is no MEMORY for the last level used.
This would be a great LEO light, but a shame you can't go straight to high.

Just my 2 cents as well

DLF

Newly Enlightened
... LX1 doesn't finally get released next week :sick2:.

Latest LX1 rumor says the week of July 19th. What year, one might ask? Dunno.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
An interesting note. I just watched a rundown on the Surefire lights apparently recorded at Shot 2010 by someone in the Surefire booth on youtube.

Apparently they consider the Stratum to be an upgrade from the 6P. I found that interesting considering our discussion on the Stratum being a sideline rather than one of their core products.

You can watch/get the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGsMd2Vk56U

edc3

Enlightened
Thanks for the link, SuperTrouper. From what I've seen so far, I'm really liking the Stratum, but I'd hate to see the 6P be replaced.

I'll have to start saving for an LX1 too. :drool:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just came across the new light on Surefire's website, glad to see a CPF member has already laid their hands on one & posted up a review ;)

+1 on some outdoor beamshots! :thumbsup:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the 6P is a SureFire classic and probably by far the largest seller, I'd be amazed if they discontinued it. I like this light very much, looks like a real tank, I see nothing wrong with the K2 myself, others digress. I'll bet it's closer to 180-190 lumens, maybe even 200. Will it run/fit 17670 or 18650 cells?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Apparently they consider the Stratum to be an upgrade from the 6P. I found that interesting considering our discussion on the Stratum being a sideline rather than one of their core products.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGsMd2Vk56U

Strange that was implied at SHOT in that the 6PL is the logical upgrade for the 6P. One mode only, and now no more need for the P60, or even the P60L.

Bill

Vernon

Enlightened
With the new KX4 and KX4D, it seems the only value the Stratum offers is the low, medium, high option. Otherwise, a 6P with a Z59 and KX4 is about the same light (less 40 lumens).

Size15's

Flashaholic
With the new KX4 and KX4D, it seems the only value the Stratum offers is the low, medium, high option. Otherwise, a 6P with a Z59 and KX4 is about the same light (less 40 lumens).

So the three-levels vs the single-level, and the higher output are not sufficient differences along with the new styling?

WDR65

Enlightened
Nice review Vernon. I might have to pick one up.

Does anyone have a KX3 head to compare to a Stratum? I'm interested to see how they stack up as far as beam intensity.

Last edited:

Vernon

Enlightened
So the three-levels vs the single-level, and the higher output are not sufficient differences along with the new styling?

I like the light, but I still find myself reaching for my old 6P/Malkoff M61/Z59 set up. I just don't know I'm convinced that it's worth $165 if you already have a similar set up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm liking the Stratum. I just think I would like it a lot more if I didn't have a few similar set ups that I've been using for years.

Size15's

Flashaholic
As flashaholics we do compare new lights to the ones we already have and know. What I look for is whether new lights either fill a gap in my illumination needs, or improves on any lights I already have...
Being comfortable with an LX2 as my edc and having ICONs for the sorts of uses I'd put a Stratum to means I don't find myself jumping to get one.

SiliconCali

Newly Enlightened
The spill on this thing is ridiculous, and the spot is actually quite tight. I wouldn't call it a thrower by any stretch, but it's tighter than the pattern from my LX2 and E2DL, for sure.

Thanks for the great review Vernon. :twothumbs I didn't even know this model existed. Sounds like just what I am looking for. I have the Z2-S which has a great beam. Since this appears to share the same head I'm hoping it's similar while adding multi-levels.