Surefire SW02 Switch Disassembly

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that SF switch is more complicated than I would have thought.

I just use a blowtorch. Seriously. Slowly, and with great care, but my propane torch always works. I use a piece of pine, that I bored a 1" hole into, and then cut in half. So each half of the wood forms a C around the head/ tail/ body, and I place it all in my bench vise.
Will have to make this out of harder wood, because the sappy pine discolored the last SF I took apart.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the photos and experience.

Thanks [emoji106][emoji106]

I was even more upset when I open the package from Surefire today and all they sent me were a couple of push to activate switches. A newer Nitrolon one and a Z41.

Looks like I'll put a McClicky in the Z41 at least.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since some pics have been lost over time, I figure I'll add mine for reference.

I just bought an SW02 off of the auction site. The switch seems like a legit version and not counterfeit. However, I was disappointed when I discovered the switch didn't work. Did a little bit of research and came across this thread. This helped me tremendously and I was lucky enough that the threadlock wasn't too much of a bear to get passed. I did have to boil it for quite some time. About 15 minutes I think. Took it apart and discovered that one of the wires had broken off of the tabs. Soldered it back on (a little crudely because it was really tight in there), and the switch worked again. If you have an SW02 that doesn't work, this might be worth a shot.

On to the pics.

i3T9xzU
i3T9xzU.jpg

isZbRPq.jpg

n3xvvy3.jpg

It's hard to see but if you look in between the boot and the shroud, you can see a delrin retaining ring. I didn't try, but I'm sure if you can somehow take out that delrin ring, you'd be able to take out the boot and shroud assembly.

LcSwx2h.jpg

Took some boiling, wrapping the end with paracord, griping gently but firmly with channel locks, and a good twist but I was able to get passed the threadlock with out any incident.

alNrK6R.jpg

xWv1wjJ.jpg

I just used some needle nose pliers to twist the keyed section of the assembly. No fighting threadlock here.

87ZlbDT.jpg

O8KOqjm.jpg

You can kind of see where the wire on the right is not making contact on the tab.

YgNFplO.jpg

iSeVF8m.jpg

Judco switch. Didn't someone fit a Judco switch to a Z41 for a high-current reverse clicky switch? Can the same be done here?

NB5Z5kM.jpg

Took the switch out of the assembly and that's when I discovered the wire not making contact to the tab.

l2tyOMZ.jpg

CbShYK3.jpg

xcW0KlD.jpg

Just needed to resolder to the tab and was good to go.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post bad!
I have used this thread also to mod mine. My switch was ok but i wanted it to use in LED setup and reverse clicky is my option.
So i found almost the same size reverse Judco which looked almost the same like this one in SW02. Reverse is a bit shorter but that wasn't a problem after all.

Sent from Tapatalk

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks much for adding that photo guided repair.

I can't remember the exact (long ago) location, but IIRC, someone had posted the theory that (I think) both the Z49 and SW02 used Judco switches or the equivalent.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have photos of my mod but i can confirm that both SW02 and Z49/48 are using Judco.

Thats good to know. Not that z48/49 are plentiful, but sure are more of them than SW02s so I'd imagine you could sacrifice a z48 to make an SW02 working again.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't taken my DellSuperman switch apart recently, but it looks pretty similar to that one BTC took his excellent shots of.
If not, Judco is still making them, I'm sure

https://www.judco.net/push-button-switches

I may have to take my SW02 apart again and take some measurements. After looking around their site, it seems like J188-1 Momentary is the switch used. And if you look at the switch configurator, it's going to be the "A Body" style, with wires, and P2 plunger, though I don't see the option for switch function On/Off w/momentary.

Latest posts