Surefire T1A Titan or?

red02

Enlightened
What exactly do you expect the new light to do that the G2L or the HS2 wont? Maybe you should just get a 200lm dropin... much cheaper and will actually use what you have.

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I agree with the others posting about the HDS Clicky. Its definitely a perfect general purpose light and durable as hell.

Sexy too! I know cm_mtb posted a link to the HUGE main HDS thread, but not sure if you saw the "pics" thread here

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
What exactly do you expect the new light to do that the G2L or the HS2 wont? Maybe you should just get a 200lm dropin... much cheaper and will actually use what you have.

If the op is looking at the t1a as a candidate then a few things are implied

He wants a light that is small enough to edc easily

Wants a light with more levels than the g2 can offer

Wants a light that isn't a headlamp

Wants a new light

Crenshaw

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark Mini 123 fits the size/output requirements, but the quality might not be adequate for someone carrying a Chris Reeve Sebenza knife.

The Ra Clicky (while nice) is likely too big for what the OP described.

The T1A is good but larger than the Quark and beam pattern is somewhat floody for a general purpose light -- one you might suddenly have to use for anything.

If he doesn't mind CR2 batteries, the Muyschondt Aeon fits all his quality/size/output criteria: http://www.brightguy.com/products/Muyshondt_Aeon_CR2_LED_Flashlight.php

DeLionKing

Newly Enlightened
Of the EDCs I own, I have a D10 SP Camo, T1A, an Arc AAA P, a Quark mini AA, and Ra Hi CRI. I like them all very much. I rotate them frecuently. I kind of prefer to carry more often the T1A. The lowest setting is about perfect to use while waking in the middle of the night and the UI is simple and straightforward, and smaller/lighter than the Ra, I use a TEC suspension clip to carry it.

In terms of sturdiness, I have to say that the Ra is really more robust than the T1A (or Quark for that matter). Last week, my T1A fell from a table (1.2 meters) into the granite floor and cracked on the body just below the head. It still worked, but I had to send it to Surefire for repair. I don't think that the Ra would even scratch from such a fall.

The Quark has the typical (and annoying) 'skipping modes' that requires the recommended maintenance for twisties. The Arc AAA is super small, super light and sturdy but maybe it's 10 lumen only mode would be insufficient for some.

As for the tint of the lights, the Ra has the best of all, hands down...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
Wants a light that isn't a headlamp ...
Why? I'm not trying to be difficult, but if you look at the Minimus its superior to the Titan in every way. And whats more, the OP already has it!

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Why? I'm not trying to be difficult, but if you look at the Minimus its superior to the Titan in every way. And whats more, the OP already has it!

As stated above, I keep the Minimus, and G2 in my hiking pack for emergencies only.

I'm looking for a pocketable light. I am not a flashaholic, and I never will be. However, I bought the Surefires because everything else I tried sucked, and felt cheap.

I want the best EDC pocket flashlight, or a choice of a few of the best. FYI HDS site does not show the clicky as being available.

-Freq

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
What about all the complaints about the overly floodiness of the light, the low power issues, and the overall lack of brightness for the price?

ryaxnb

Newly Enlightened
As stated above, I keep the Minimus, and G2 in my hiking pack for emergencies only.

I'm looking for a pocketable light. I am not a flashaholic, and I never will be. However, I bought the Surefires because everything else I tried sucked, and felt cheap.

I want the best EDC pocket flashlight, or a choice of a few of the best. FYI HDS site does not show the clicky as being available.

-Freq

The quark mini 123 is the best. the ra clicky is the best of the bigger ones.
there really isnt much to say, the ra Clicky is by far the best flashlight in the 1x123 size (arguably the best flashlight period) and the Quark Mini 123 is the best value, best in its size class, and best under $100.
A comparison will show both throw better than the T1A, both have a better, more efficent LED, and the Mini 123 is far smaller, whereas the Ra Clicky is programmable and offers super low "moonlight" output (with associated high runtime). The Ra Clicky is probably more durable, and for all the clout of surefire durability, which i buy into, im not sure it applies to the T1A, partially because the T1A's extreme smallness makes building a super-durable version an entirely different challenge than surefire is used to, as they have traditionally built lights of about the size of a 2AA Minimag, not keychain lights. Also, there have been some initial reports of the T1A seeming at least a bit worse than surefires normally excellent quality level.
Thus, i would bet either the Quark Mini 123 or Ra clicky will be at the durability of the T1A or above.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly think you will be Surprised at how useful mini's can be

Let me help you out by doing a side by side comparison of the t1a and the mini when I get home later

Crenshaw

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened

-Freq

I won't try to talk you out of a preference. WYYI the HDS 170T is ready to ship. I can put one into my paypal page... Besides plenty of dealers sell them.

If you don't want one just say so, but don't say things like "they aren't available" when they are.

michelkenny

Newly Enlightened
It would be considered a crime against flashaolics if you pair up your Sebenza with a Quark Mini. Treat yourself to an HDS EDC (aka RA Clicky) or at least a T1A.

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
I won't try to talk you out of a preference. WYYI the HDS 170T is ready to ship. I can put one into my paypal page... Besides plenty of dealers sell them.

If you don't want one just say so, but don't say things like "they aren't available" when they are.

You must have misunderstood me. I looked on their website, I didn't see them as being available or for sale. I don't see a model called an "Ra Clicky".

Doe anyone have a side by side review/pics of the mini 123, Ra Clicky, and the Titan?

-Freq

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened
You must have misunderstood me. I looked on their website, I didn't see them as being available or for sale. I don't see a model called an "Ra Clicky".

Doe anyone have a side by side review of the mini 123, Ra Clicky, and the Titan?

-Freq

Only the name has changed. Henry has gone back to the original label HDS so no more Ra Clicky.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
..Does anyone have a side by side review/pics of the mini 123, Ra Clicky, and the Titan?
-Freq
I have all three; see below photos. They are all great lights in their own way. The Ra (HDS) is the best all around light. It's physically robust, with good mechanical, electrical, optical and UI design. The beam pattern is aesthetically pleasing: a useful hot spot, smooth transition to corona and spill, and bright spill. Beam angle is a good all-around choice. HDS makes a slightly narrower beam angle option for increased throw. Negatives: a little big and heavy for pocket carry (for many people). Low is very low -- about 0.08 lumens and high is about 140 lumens. A 170 lumen version is available.

The T1A's main feature is completely smooth, stepless brightness control from a very low (less than 0.08 lumens) to a max of about 70 lumens. Physical design is good and high quality. Rotational brightness control is smooth and backlash-free. Beam design is very smooth and artifact-free, except it's too floody, IMO. It's perfect for looking inside a closet. But EDC means potential usage is unknown. You might need to look across the parking lot at night. The T1A beam is too floody for that. Surefire should have used a slightly more general-purpose beam design like the original Titan.

The Quark Mini 123 is decent quality, just not up to Surefire/HDS standards. But for much less money you get a CR123A light that's smaller than anything HDS or Surefire makes, has a simple UI, excellent output and good general-purpose beam design. It has SOS and strobe, but out of the way so (unlike many other lights) they don't intrude on the mainstream UI.

For your stated usage profile and preferences (EDC, very small, high quality) I wouldn't suggest any of these. I'd probably get a Muyschondt Aeon. It's smaller than the Quark, equal in quality to Surefire/HDS, has a general-purpose beam design and simple UI. It does use a CR2 cell (vs the more common CR123A), but for typical EDC use you won't use that many so the cell type may not be an issue. There are still some left at some dealers, e.g, http://www.brightguy.com/products/Muyshondt_Aeon_CR2_LED_Flashlight.php

If size is less important than you mentioned, I'd get the HDS. If quality is less important, I'd get the Quark.

Below, L to R: Ra Clicky Executive 140, Surefire T1A, Quark Mini 123.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to mention that you could have a T1A modified with an XP-G emitter that would yield a better "all around" beam. The swap gives it more throw and a brighter hotspot. Also, don't quote MRSP prices for the T1A as they have been going on eBay and the Marketplace for around $150 like new lately.

Edit: The mod will run you close to $100, but you end up with one of the best EDC lights imo. As long as you aren't looking to use a light for "tactical" situations (read: super bright, far throwing) the T1A is tough to beat. Here's a thread on the mod: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/246317

Last edited:

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
I have all three; see below photos. They are all great lights in their own way. The Ra (HDS) is the best all around light. It's physically robust, with good mechanical, electrical, optical and UI design. The beam pattern is aesthetically pleasing: a useful hot spot, smooth transition to corona and spill, and bright spill. Beam angle is a good all-around choice. HDS makes a slightly narrower beam angle option for increased throw. Negatives: a little big and heavy for pocket carry (for many people). Low is very low -- about 0.08 lumens and high is about 140 lumens. A 170 lumen version is available.

The T1A's main feature is completely smooth, stepless brightness control from a very low (less than 0.08 lumens) to a max of about 70 lumens. Physical design is good and high quality. Rotational brightness control is smooth and backlash-free. Beam design is very smooth and artifact-free, except it's too floody, IMO. It's perfect for looking inside a closet. But EDC means potential usage is unknown. You might need to look across the parking lot at night. The T1A beam is too floody for that. Surefire should have used a slightly more general-purpose beam design like the original Titan.

The Quark Mini 123 is decent quality, just not up to Surefire/HDS standards. But for much less money you get a CR123A light that's smaller than anything HDS or Surefire makes, has a simple UI, excellent output and good general-purpose beam design. It has SOS and strobe, but out of the way so (unlike many other lights) they don't intrude on the mainstream UI.

For your stated usage profile and preferences (EDC, very small, high quality) I wouldn't suggest any of these. I'd probably get a Muyschondt Aeon. It's smaller than the Quark, equal in quality to Surefire/HDS, has a general-purpose beam design and simple UI. It does use a CR2 cell (vs the more common CR123A), but for typical EDC use you won't use that many so the cell type may not be an issue. There are still some left at some dealers, e.g, http://www.brightguy.com/products/Muyshondt_Aeon_CR2_LED_Flashlight.php

If size is less important than you mentioned, I'd get the HDS. If quality is less important, I'd get the Quark.

Below, L to R: Ra Clicky Executive 140, Surefire T1A, Quark Mini 123.

I hate to ask more of you since you took the time to post the above. It is very much appreciated!

You don't happen to have a pic of the muyshondt next to the quark mini do you?

-Freq