Surefire tactician

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've been carrying my Tactician a week or so and I can tell you it is nowhere near as good a light as the Eagletac D25LC2 Tactical with XP-L HI V3 considering everything. First the HI V3 dominates the XM-L or whatever the Tactician has and second the D25 Tactical can change modes by twisting the bezel also but it has 4 modes and you can present the mode before turning the light on, also momentary on with a full click on/off tailcap is best for me. I'm going to stay with the D25LC2 Tactical as my EDC and keep the Tactician on my bag.

I carry a handgun everyday and night I really don't see any advantage in a defensive situation where I need to constantly hold the button down for light is a good thing, I'm already manipulating a firearm and possibly a trigger and moving target while probably looking for cover, no give me a good old on/off switch.

I might could see a benefit to an offensive situation like police or military clearing rooms but I'm still not positive about that either. I do not want to lose my target/attacker during all the craziness because I accidentally let off the switch a little and that is all it takes if you let off even just the smallest amount of pressure the light turns off. Just my opinion

sebis

Newly Enlightened
So I've been carrying my Tactician a week or so and I can tell you it is nowhere near as good a light as the Eagletac D25LC2 Tactical with XP-L HI V3 considering everything. First the HI V3 dominates the XM-L or whatever the Tactician has and second the D25 Tactical can change modes by twisting the bezel also but it has 4 modes and you can present the mode before turning the light on, also momentary on with a full click on/off tailcap is best for me. I'm going to stay with the D25LC2 Tactical as my EDC and keep the Tactician on my bag.

I carry a handgun everyday and night I really don't see any advantage in a defensive situation where I need to constantly hold the button down for light is a good thing, I'm already manipulating a firearm and possibly a trigger and moving target while probably looking for cover, no give me a good old on/off switch.

I might could see a benefit to an offensive situation like police or military clearing rooms but I'm still not positive about that either. I do not want to lose my target/attacker during all the craziness because I accidentally let off the switch a little and that is all it takes if you let off even just the smallest amount of pressure the light turns off. Just my opinion

Hmm, you need to get some low light training. See the video I posted on the previous page on why you need a momentary switch on a tactical flashlight. Turning on a flashlight at the wrong time or keeping it on too long will get you in a whole heap of trouble. You can thank me later.

--Sebis

APS

Newly Enlightened

I think the Tactician is a purpose built light that does not excel in EDC utility roles but is great for it's design parameters. I typically carry a utility light along with it.

Chadder

Enlightened
I kind of have to disagree. I took my tactician along with my E2L outdoorsman out for a walk in the dark last night. I primarily used the tactician on low while out. The light was perfect for this task. I turned it on high a couple of times and the broad beam was perfect and did not blind me. It is actually more useful on low than the E2L because of the broad beam. I can see using this light a ton around camp this summer. I know this is not very tacticool of me, but I may use this as a low light first type of utility light.

sebis

Newly Enlightened
I kind of have to disagree. I took my tactician along with my E2L outdoorsman out for a walk in the dark last night. I primarily used the tactician on low while out. The light was perfect for this task. I turned it on high a couple of times and the broad beam was perfect and did not blind me. It is actually more useful on low than the E2L because of the broad beam. I can see using this light a ton around camp this summer. I know this is not very tacticool of me, but I may use this as a low light first type of utility light.

Great if it works for you but not the primary role for this light. I carry HDS Tactical (Rotary) for low light duties since I can dial it exactly to the amount of low light I need. It is also my backup tactical light, you can never have enough flashlights on you :).

Chadder

Enlightened
I should have been honest since it's CPF's. I had my 4 sevens PK knight and my titan plus on me also for the walk. Doesn't everyone take a walk with 4 lights??

Last edited:

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Received my E2T-MV yesterday. So far I'm liking it very much. Very compact with a small diameter head and great feel in hand. Tons of light covering a very broad area. I think Surefire has another winner!

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was 15 lumens low or 30 lumens low I would buy it right away. 5 lumens is too low. The everyday level I use is about 50. SF 15 lumens is more like 30 lumens or higher but 5 lumens is way low for my use. Too bad is a nice light.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was 15 lumens low or 30 lumens low I would buy it right away. 5 lumens is too low. The everyday level I use is about 50. SF 15 lumens is more like 30 lumens or higher but 5 lumens is way low for my use. Too bad is a nice light.
All the tactitians ive had experience with has more then 5 lumens. Its closer to 15.

BioMelodic

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Tactician yesterday.... not sure I'm going tol ike the bezel-up carry, though.

I also have an EB2, I'm thinking about using the EB2 body with the Tactician head and tailcap, so I can basically have the same light but with bezel-down orientation due to the EB2's 2-way pocket clip.

BioMelodic

Newly Enlightened
Update:
The tailcap from the Tactician will not fit the E series bodies.... the thread pattern is different and the threads are "longer"

Also, the EB2 and Tactician clips are not interchangeable. The Tactician clip is "wider", so the slot the clip slides into is different on each body.

However, I removed the Tactician clip completely, and found that a clip from an older model Streamlight 2L fits quite well... allowing tailcap-up carry.

Viper715

Enlightened
The EB2 is the outlier not the Tactician. The Tactician tailcap fits all original sized E series lights. The EB2 and now the EDCL1T and L2T have the longer tail caps. The Tactician tailcap is exchangeable with all of my E1E, E2E, Aviator 2017 and E1B bodies.

Also about the clip. My Tactician clip fits in all of my other e series lights and my two way long E clip fits in my Tactician. Not sure why it's not consistent with other people's lights.