Surefire Titan T1A Pics & Info

Kestrel

Flashaholic
1. Wow, talk about the perfect size! When I was EDC'ing my RA Clicky I frequently felt like it was too bulky in my front pants pocket. This light I barely feel at all.

2. Is this thing on?? The low is so extremely low. I went into a bank vault, closed the door and gave my eyes a minute to acclimate. I could barely see the low setting on this light. Nuts!

3. Angry blue? My T1A is definitely not warm by any means, but I find it to be just on the cool side of neutral. The tint is perfectly acceptable to me.

The only thing that kind of bothers me is the donut in the beam when it is within 12-18 inches of a surface. My beamshot would look just like Kestrels above. I kind of want to send it to Surefire to have them fix it, but I worry about getting an emitter that has a cooler tint and/or some other issue.

Also, has anyone wished/thought the light should turn on by rotating in the opposite direction? When I'm turning it on one handed (right hand) I wish it would rotate clockwise instead of counter clockwise.
1. Yes, I changed out my SF L1 EDC for this, and that may be (roughly) the same size differential as you note with your Ra.

2. Gotta love that low low. After 15 minutes of 'lights out' @ night, turn it on to 'lowest' and walk around the house. Perfect! The first stock light I've had that wasn't too bright. :thumbsup:

3. Tint. Yup, just a bit on the cool side of white but definitely not angry blue. (Those beamshots make it look a little bluer than it actually appears.) Not very much interested in a SF exchange since this tint is quite acceptable, and as you, I wouldn't want to risk a worse tint.

re: turn on by rotating in the opposite direction? Yes! That was my instinct as well, and I'm not sure as to why. Of the 3-4 people I have handed it to, only one tried to turn it on in the correct way the first time. (My Fenix LD01 head would turn on the same way as this T1A, so I was wondering if it was just me... :thinking:) I think that by holding it in my right hand and grasping it, my thumb is naturally oriented to rotate the bezel by pushing away - i.e. the wrong direction.

If you hold it in your left hand, the thumb seems to rotate it to 'on' completely naturally, doesn't it? :huh:

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you hold it in your left hand, the thumb seems to rotate it to 'on' completely naturally, doesn't it? :huh:

Left handed designer. :laughing:

Yeah, I was just playing with mine too, and it is more natural to rotate counter clockwise with my left hand. BTW, it was well worth it to have mine fixed, better beam, brighter, and nice mostly neutral white. I sent mine out for fix before DAFAB was doing them. I might have opted for the Hi CRI, or maybe his XP-G mod.

Bill

Kestrel

Flashaholic
What would folks' opinions be regarding another (slightly longer) tailcap for the T1A that could hold a McClicky?

It would be sort of like having a mini- U2, and I'd love to have a 'momentary' on the end. :huh:

Maybe not better, but just different? :shrug:

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would folks' opinions be regarding another (slightly longer) tailcap for the T1A that could hold a McClicky?

It would be sort of like having a mini- U2, and I'd love to have a 'momentary' on the end. :huh:

Holy crow. Are you reading my mind? I was just thinking on the T1A and saying how it's like a mini U2 except with less throw and no clicky. It would be a pretty neat mod to have a clicky on there.

ecallahan

Enlightened
I've been using Tenergy 3.0V, 750maH. I saw one thread where someone used a rcr123 3.7V and it worked, but don't think they powered it up for long that way. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone uses 3.7V R123's. Tenergy makes a 3.0V that is a 3.7V that is is 'necked down' to 3.2V I think, it is 900 maH, not sure if anyone has tried that either.

Pardon my laziness, anyone run R123's in theirs? :tired:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I like the idea, but might be too bulky for me. I carry mine around my neck 24/7, except showers.

Pardon my laziness, anyone run R123's in theirs? :tired:

Been using RCR123's, Powerizers, not protected, since I got mine. No issues, and I measured current draw and there is only a slight increase over a primary CR123. Also, the the factory set current to the LED is not high, so no danger overpowering the LED.

Bill

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a pic of my T1A with a lanyard I rigged up. Bought another T1A for my wife this morning thanks to a fellow CPF member. :thumbsup:

SAM_0213.jpg

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I just bought one of these on the Marketplace. Tiny scratch, but that's what I get for buying cheap. Anyhow, nice light, it's going to come in handy. My only complaint is the tail-cap.

Some enterprising CPF member needs to fabricate new tail caps with a lanyard attachment _and_ a flush bottom.

Volunteers?

ecallahan

Enlightened
I'd be in for one, I love to be able to tailstand, and I don't use the lanyard anyway.

I just bought one of these on the Marketplace. Tiny scratch, but that's what I get for buying cheap. Anyhow, nice light, it's going to come in handy. My only complaint is the tail-cap.

Some enterprising CPF member needs to fabricate new tail caps with a lanyard attachment _and_ a flush bottom.

Volunteers?

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been talking to Steve Ku (Kuku427) about a tailcap for the T1A. Something simple just to allow tailstanding. We weren't sure if there would be enough interest.

scout24

Flashaholic
Ninemm- I'd be in for one. If I am not mistaken, the biggest impediment is going to br the square cut threads. That, and the very thin walls on the tailcap.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ninemm- I'd be in for one. If I am not mistaken, the biggest impediment is going to br the square cut threads. That, and the very thin walls on the tailcap.

Cool! :thumbsup:

Steve wanted me to send him my T1A so he could check out the threads in person and maybe show it to some of the shops he works with. But, now that I've got an XPG in it I think I would miss it too much if it were overseas for awhile. I'll check with him and see if we can work something out.

Anyone else be down for a simple cap that would allow for tailstanding and still possibly incorporate a lanyard attachment point?

DeLionKing

Newly Enlightened
Cool! :thumbsup:

Steve wanted me to send him my T1A so he could check out the threads in person and maybe show it to some of the shops he works with. But, now that I've got an XPG in it I think I would miss it too much if it were overseas for awhile. I'll check with him and see if we can work something out.

Anyone else be down for a simple cap that would allow for tailstanding and still possibly incorporate a lanyard attachment point?

I would be very interested to get a pair for my 2 T1As

Phredd

Enlightened
I'd be in for one, I love to be able to tailstand, and I don't use the lanyard anyway.

I made a tail-standing tailcap. I was considering making more, but I can't use the machines anymore unless I sign up for more classes. I'm planning to sell one of my Titans with the flat tailcap as soon as I get around to taking pictures.

Phredd

tsl

Enlightened
... but check out that donut in the T1A's hotspot. :sigh: )

SF005.jpg

The only thing that kind of bothers me is the donut in the beam when it is within 12-18 inches of a surface. My beamshot would look just like Kestrels above.

I just received a T1A and it has the same donut at the same distance. Is this because of the focus of the emitter? Would it make any sense returning to SF for a replacement or is this a characteristic common to all stock T1A's?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I just received a T1A and it has the same donut at the same distance. Is this because of the focus of the emitter? Would it make any sense returning to SF for a replacement or is this a characteristic common to all stock T1A's?

Yes.

Bill