Surefire Titan T1A

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...In order to produce the most compact 1x123 LED flashlight, SF have designed a light with some very tight tolerances, and almost every inch of space inside the body is utilized...
The T1A is not remotely the most compact 1x123 LED flashlight. See attached picture:

583115988_p6oq6-M.jpg

dchao

Enlightened
Good News: No need for spacer or shim

I tried small shims, small washers, but everything thing I tried, were still making the battery protruding the body a little bit, very annoying. So I decide to work on the actual IMR cell's protective plastic sleeve around the button.

I used a hobby knife to cut away the battery cover around the (+) button, leaving just a little bit to wrap around the (+) end assembly (which should be enough to hold the components in place). Put the improved AW IMR cell into the T1A, screw back the tailcap. And - bingo, the light lit up. :twothumbs

The new light output from an IMR16340 cell is about the same as a fresh CR123. So I don't think the Seoul P4 LED is being over-driven. I hope the buck-boost converter SF designed is able to cop with increased in voltage from 3V to 3.7V. (Note: P4 has a forward voltage Vf between 3.25V-4.0V, so Vin of 3.7V is not that high really. However, use rechargeables at your own risk)

Last edited:

dchao

Enlightened
The T1A is not remotely the most compact 1x123 LED flashlight.
FF3 is sure tiny. The extra length in T1A must be taken up by the components to support the twist action of the variable light output.

Last edited:

dchao

Enlightened
These are the older unprotected cells MP700, you were able to get them from AW.

AW' MP-R123 Thread

Most *unprotected* cells should fit the diameter of the T1A body, it's the protected cells that do not.

AW has stopped selling these because they are unprotected. They have been replaced with safe chemistry LiMN 3.7V cells (IMR16340). They are much safer to use than the old unprotected Li-Ion ones.

You can find AW's IMR16340 thread HERE

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm loving my Titan. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be used as a diffusor? Something like on the Extreme III only bigger. Sorry if this was asked before.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am going to update this thread with a question about current from an RCR123, compared to a CR123 in the T1A. Has anyone measured the current with these two types of cells? I am adding a question. In one of the T1A threads I heard mention that the T1A had a buck/boost regulator. Is the for certain?

Bill

Last edited:

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Has anyone been using an rcr123 in their titan long term? Primaries are getting a little expensive to keep running. Is it pretty safe to run?