Surefire Titan Tail Stand

Phredd

Enlightened
Heck - if you want a cheap un-elegant solution go to the Home Depot plumbing department and get some foam surround for 5/8 copper pipe and it will make the light stand.

I like elegant solutions and the ability to put the light in my pocket still with the tailstand attached.

Having ground down, smoothed and enamel painted a few T1A tailcaps over the years I would say that having a removable solution is desirable.

Me, too. I like my machined tailcap, but I think I'd be hesitant to grind it down.

Phredd

Enlightened
I threw a question out to Tom and Dan to see if they would be interested in making a Delrin tailstanding shroud. Something that may support using a small clip as well. I think that would be a neat option as well.

That sounds interesting. If they agree, how about posting a link here to their thread. That would keep this thread less cluttered.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I got your PM, but I think it's better I respond here so everyone understands how they can get one. I post my design on Shapeways. After a couple weeks or more, I get my part. Once I'm satisfied with it, I'll make the design public and then everyone who wants one can just go to Shapeways.

I think that's the neatest way. I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to collect names, addresses, payments, then order and then prepare shipping labels, stuff envelopes and track each order. If someone else wants to do that they can start a group buy and post a link to that thread, but I don't think there's much benefit. And that way takes much, much longer than ordering yourself. Shapeways only charges about $5 for each tail cap stand.

I'll post an update when I revise the design and when I'm satisfied that it's ready for everyone to order.

Appreciate the reply and the info!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never carried the light with a lanyard on the tail so it wasn't a real big deal. I wire brushed it and used a black appliance enamel spray paint. A few layers and it was good to go. :) At one time I actually gave SF a call and they sent me a free replacement tailcap so I had one of each.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
eha5unu3.jpg
dezaruvu.jpg

Here are a few shots.Whats nice is that I can both stand and diffuse with the same part and it was fast and free.

I would buy one of the stands too but I use my canister all the time and it has been great.

Also the Lanyard fits inside the canister and is not in the way when tail standing so I can use it to hang with the diffuser inside my RV or house which I did when the power was out.

Not as slick maybe as the OP's idea but hardly inelegant either?

Last edited:

hcd615

Enlightened
Just to understand, I don't see the T1A on SF site. Are they still made? Is the black T1A 90 lumen the latest version made?

dss_777

Enlightened
What's to prevent you from drilling a hole laterally through the tail-cap extension to mate up with the key-ring hole on the Titan? It's be easy enough, then, to thread a cable style key-ring through the two, holding them together and adding the key-ring attachment capability back to the light, while still allowing it to tail stand. Maybe could even use a pressure fit pin, or perhaps a small machine screw if you wanted to attach the tail cap without a key ring.

MantaRing makes a high quality coated cable key ring. The one I have shows the male end measuring at about 2.5mm in diameter. I could also imagine using different shapes or styles of key ring that would fold out of the way to allow tail-standing, but still provide a secure attachment point.

Just spit-ballin' here...

Phredd

Enlightened
What's to prevent you from drilling a hole laterally through the tail-cap extension to mate up with the key-ring hole on the Titan? It's be easy enough, then, to thread a cable style key-ring through the two, holding them together and adding the key-ring attachment capability back to the light, while still allowing it to tail stand. Maybe could even use a pressure fit pin, or perhaps a small machine screw if you wanted to attach the tail cap without a key ring.

That's actually an excellent idea. It would eliminate the tail cap cutting the nub each time. I'll see how the next prototypes work out and maybe try a two piece stand next time around - a cap and a pin.

Status update - all pieces are in production. Hopefully they'll ship as scheduled on March 27.

Phredd

Enlightened
I just received the new prototypes. They work nicely, but they're still not perfect. There's still a very small amount of movement, but it still stands up straight. I'll change it again, but in case you want to get one now, I've made this model public. It's only $3.99 in white or $4.86 in black. Please note that the nubs will wear out after repeatedly taking it on and off. Please do not complain to Shapeways or they will take it down and others won't be able to get one.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1769...ilstand.html?li=search-results&materialId=25#

If you do get one, please let me know what you think of it. Enjoy.