Sylvania/Osram Mini 4AA Lantern Upgrade

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent thread, Dom! Thanks for your efforts.

So far, I probably like the Cree w/Carlco best. Just have two questions...

How does the low setting brightness of the Cree and SSC compare to the stock Osram?

And, did you use a chisel tip on the iron for the 'minimal disassembly technique'? Looks like it'd be tough to heat up the work with a pencil tip since you can't lean the iron over much.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for more comparison pictures Dom. I'm all the more geeked about the parts I have on order to mod mine. :grin2:

dom

Enlightened
Hi Bimmerboy
Yes-used small chisel tip-it's around 1.6mm.
The first side of the emitter probably won't totally come off -but you can get it raised a little and totally desolder it after you get the other side off.

Having the iron pre-tinned just before desoldering makes the job very quick.
I think if you wanted to do the Cree swap -you would need a total disassembly as the Cree is harder to solder on properly.

I like the Cree/Carclo best as well, with the Seoul/Khatod next. The Cree/Carclo is the most even spread of light on the ground.

The optics on low are probably 30% less bright than stock on high,though the light is still more useful with the optics.
I'll get some pix tonight if you like.

You're welcome Sterodude -thanks

Cheers
Dom

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answers, Dom! I'll probably do the full disassembly since I have Cree's, don't have a chisel tip, and enjoy getting the beers going while modding. Could just see myself melting holes through the window. Maybe it'd help airflow? :shrug:

30% less bright than stock/high sounds great! Almost as much light, but using much less current. No low setting pics neccessary, unless you're just dyyyiiiiin' to post 'em. ;)

Two things I do like about the stock diffuser is the lighting from it is very smooth, and a fair portion of the light is sent somewhat upwards... which I actually find desireable for ambient lighting indoors. Optics are going to produce some rings, but from your pics, the 'powerband' does look to be much more useful in throwing light down and sideways... much better for outdoors on picnic tables, etc.

Decisions, decisions...

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Anyone know of brick and mortar stores carrying these? I have a few SSC P4s dying to be used...

dom

Enlightened
Hi Bimmerboy
I added another pic to the ones above -looks like i was lying about the 30% less bright.

Bit hard to tell unless you photograph it i suppose.

Here is a pic of the Cree Carclo 10.4deg on high in a room .Table is around knee height.
2298185856_2a68398b63_o.jpg

Stock
2298185842_c30fef0a6b_o.jpg

Cree low
2297390739_fac6c73382_o.jpg

Cree LC1-M Ledil optic and Cree Q5
2387441930_a237d41486_o.jpg

These are VERY close to what my eyes see.
Cheers
Dom

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like i was lying about the 30% less bright.

My mother lied to me about modded lantern output once...

ONCE!!

:nana:

If I had to guess, I'd say from those pics that the Cree on low looks about 50 - 60% less bright than stock Osram on high. However... still betting that the Cree on low is brighter than the Osram on low.

Thanks again, Dom. You da' man!

TDKKP

Enlightened
dom, thanks for your thread!

Now I need to know your final judgement: which is the best mod and the link for all the parts? All of your posted pictures are clearly enough to guide me doing this mod, I hope :)

dom

Enlightened
My mother lied to me about modded lantern output once...

ONCE!!

:crackup:

Hi TDKKP
For the easy mod i would go Seoul and 10deg Khatod optic -both available from PhotonFanatic
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=166512

The link to the optics are on the same page.

The harder and better (IMO) option with the Cree and optic you can get the stuff from Cutter

The optic -Carclo 10200 and Cree emitter. I used a Q5 WC but you could use any type you want.
http://www.cutter.com.au/search.php

Or maybe you can get a Cree Q5 WH emitter and a LC1-SS or M from Brum -should do about the same job.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=175502

Cheers
Dom

TDKKP

Enlightened
:crackup:

Hi TDKKP
For the easy mod i would go Seoul and 10deg Khatod optic -both available from PhotonFanatic
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=166512

The link to the optics are on the same page.

The harder and better (IMO) option with the Cree and optic you can get the stuff from Cutter

The optic -Carclo 10200 and Cree emitter. I used a Q5 WC but you could use any type you want.
http://www.cutter.com.au/search.php

Or maybe you can get a Cree Q5 WH emitter and a LC1-SS or M from Brum -should do about the same job.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=175502

Cheers
Dom

Ha ha, I just noticed you're in Australia and it's a nice summer there. Any link in the US?

dom

Enlightened
PhotonFanatic is in the US and Brum has quick delivery.

I don't know anyone else apart from Cutter who sells Carclo's

Cheers
Dom

Mercaptan

Enlightened
This opportunity is too good to pass up - I just ebay'ed one, only to find out about the group buy for 8.50 + 5.00 S&H (13.50... ack, I just paid 19.00 for mine).

Oh well, live and learn. Will post results accordingly.

dom

Enlightened
Sorry about that Mercaptan
I did mention it in the first post but gave no link -have now remedied that with the link right at the top. I just wasn't sure of the rule -i'm sure i'll be straightened out if i did wrong.

Cheers
Dom

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Hey Dom,

No worries man, if this upgrade is as good as you have described, it'll be worth more than twice the price I paid!

Cheers!

dom

Enlightened
All's good then :)

Although the Cree & 10.4deg optic makes the better lantern ,i think the Seoul & 10deg optic may end up more useful as when you use it as a torch it has a very nice beam and not as floody as the Cree beam.

Cheers
Dom

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Even with the original diffuser, the P4 SSC upgrade is fantastic. It's a very nice light (tailcap modification is a must, now the threads are smooth). I can't even begin to imagine how low maintainence this light will now be.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my first lantern modded tonight with a SSC P4 USXOH and the Khatod Optic. :grin2: All I can say is holy crap! :faint: I knew there would be a difference from dom's pictures, but they didn't get me prepared for this. :eek:oo: The unmodded lantern is almost a bit of a gimmicky toy. :whistle: The modded one is actually useful. The modded one is brighter on low than the stock one is on high in terms of lighting up the surface it is sitting on or nearby objects.

I definitely have to give hugh props to dom for the how to guide and the inspiration to mod these. :thumbsup: Now I've got 3 more to mod. :devil:

:wow: You rock Dom! :rock:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 2 more modded today. :thumbsup: I'm waiting for the silicone to dry. I think I will keep my last one stock for now to use as a comparison point. Unfortunately it had a broken leg on the diffuser holder when I took it apart :( , so it's in pieces right now too. I need to get some super glue for plastic to glue it back on then put the lantern back together in stock form. :sigh:

dom

Enlightened
Hey Stereodude
I had a leg broken on the diffuser holder too -superglue did well. I used Loctite 406 -stays fresh if kept in the fridge :)

Sounds like you are doing a total stripdown.Have you tried to do the emitter swap by just taking the diffuser off?

Cheers
Dom

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Stereodude
I had a leg broken on the diffuser holder too -superglue did well. I used Loctite 406 -stays fresh if kept in the fridge :)
I have a few other plastic things around the house that need gluing also, so I'm going to make sure I get the special plastic variety. :grin2:
Sounds like you are doing a total stripdown.Have you tried to do the emitter swap by just taking the diffuser off?
No, I haven't tried that. I have a crappy cheap-o soldering iron and it sounds like it would be a lot more tricky to remove it that way, and I don't have the largest set of tools. Besides, I can tear one down and mod it and put it all the way back together in about 15 minutes or so. :eek: