Sylvania/Osram Mini 4AA Lantern Upgrade

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
Menards, a store in Ill Annoy and Wisconsin (and perhaps other states) has these Sylvania lanterns, as well as a Sylvania 'car emergency' incandescent light on sale for $6.99 each. There's an additional mail in rebate for $3 off per light (merchandise credit at Menards, not cash rebate), limit two, through next Saturday for a net cost of $3.99 plus tax if you actually spend your credits later. Still, $6.99 isn't too bad.

The ad can be found by digging from links at http://www.menards.com ; sorry I could not link to it directly. Page 23 lower right on the page.

Just an FYI if anyone's looking for some to use or modify.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are two pictures I took as part of a big comparison that shows the big difference between a stock and modded Sylvania 4AA lantern. :devil:

Stock:
sylvaniastockiw9.jpg

SSC P4 with Khatod Optic:
sylvaniassckhatodgb0.jpg

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
Definitely nice. I'm going to have to pick up a couple of those emitters and do the upgrade on my lanterns.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few more lantern comparo shots. They are NOT comparable to the two I posted earlier since the camera had a much longer exposure. As before, everything is constant between the 5 pictures (white balance, exposure, etc).

Baseline:
lanternbaselineac3.jpg

Stock low:
lanternstockloweb6.jpg

Stock high:
lanternstockhightu1.jpg

SSC P4 + Khatod Mod low:
lanternmodlowls2.jpg

SSC P4 + Khatod Mod high:
lanternmodhighob6.jpg

Darell

Flashaholic
Open your eyes, squint carefully, and then look again.

Woulda been nice if you'd posted that handy tip right up front! Yeah, OK... I think I can see some difference if I tilt my head just right and squint.

OK, honestly, the modified high shot looks like the aftermath of a nuclear blast. ;)

Darell

Flashaholic
OK, so I'm still confused (show of hands... who's surprised?)

You guys are just leaving the diffuser dome completely off when you add an optic, yes? Figuring out how to glue the optic on, and nothing else supports it or covers it, yes? I assume that the diffuser wouldn't fit over the optic anyway. I'm up to my eyeballs in modified lanterns, so haven't had the inspiration to mod these yet! Lazy me.

Have emitters...Must find optics...

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are just leaving the diffuser dome completely off when you add an optic, yes?
Yes.
Figuring out how to glue the optic on, and nothing else supports it or covers it, yes?
Yes, I used a little clear silicone on the black base of the LED around the "gummy" dome and stuck the optic in it and then tried to center the LED and let it dry. Nothing covers it and nothing supports it.
I assume that the diffuser wouldn't fit over the optic anyway. I'm up to my eyeballs in modified lanterns, so haven't had the inspiration to mod these yet! Lazy me.

Have emitters...Must find optics...
PhotonFanatic has the Khatod optics.

dom

Enlightened
Hi Osci
:welcome:

There is a Cree R2 -but not available at the moment i don't think.
The difference between that and a Q5 would be negligible in this application.

Hey Stereodude
Nice pix :)

I've just got some of Brum's LC-1 Cree optics -going to give those a go soon.

Hi Darell
The silicone sticks pretty well -just have to make sure you put enough on.Getting a bit on the optic base doesn't seem to affect the output much,if at all:)
I give the optic a spin around to get as even a coating as possible.

If you were worried about it falling off -you could use the optic holder.Just have to open up the reflector/diffuser holder to accept it.EDIT (that's if your optic comes with a holder!!)

Cheers
Dom

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just got some of Brum's LC-1 Cree optics -going to give those a go soon.
I've decided to stick to the SSC P4's and the Khatod's. I haven't seen any other optics for SSC's, and I'm not sure a Cree optic will work very well on them.
If you were worried about it falling off -you could use the optic holder.Just have to open up the reflector/diffuser holder to accept it.EDIT (that's if your optic comes with a holder!!)
I haven't been messing with the diffuser holder at all. I put the optic on after the diffuser holder is in place. I realize I can't take it apart in the future, without taking the optic off and maybe damaging the LED because the optic is larger than the opening in the diffuser holder, but that's OK. The only time I figure I might need to take it apart is if I were to upgrade the LEDs again in which case it won't really matter. :sssh:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked run times for the mod on low and high? And what about heat on high for extended run times?
I haven't tested anything. Runtime should be the same as the stock light. It should also run a slight bit cooler than stock since more of the electrical power going to the LED is turned into light instead of heat. :eek:oo:

dom

Enlightened
Hi Stereodude
You use the Cree optic with a Cree emitter.
The reason i'm going to try this is the LC-1 optics are cheaper than the Carclo 10200 and i have lots of Cree emitters lying around.

When i say Darell could use the optic holder if he was worried about the optic falling off , i was talking about the enclosure most optics come with.

2385515109_8a250eb235_o.jpg

The Khatods from PhotonFanatic are holderless.

Just another way to go about it.

Cheers
Dom

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dom, and Stereodude - a question about optics vs. diffuser, since it can be hard to judge from pics.

I'm looking to mod one of these lanterns for indoors, and outdoors for the other. The indoors mod will definitely have the diffuser as it consistenly appears from all pics to have by far the most even distribution. I like how it gives nice upper-wall and ceiling bounce. However, that light would be wasted outdoors. For example, night time on an outside picnic table.

Obviously, the optic/reflector focuses much light directly sideways. But the question is, does the optic help throw more light downward to help light up a table surface?

Latest posts