Tactical EDC light

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
I know this has been asked before but...

I recently got a quark mini 123. I love it. The only thing I wish it had, is an easy to use tactical instant full power on.

Are there any lights the same size/weight as the quark that run off a 123, that are as bright, that have an instant max on feature?

The RA lights look sexy, but I want something more pocket friendly.

-Freq

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a quark tactical 123. It is a bit bigger though.

Zebralight sc30 is the size of a mini and has a modified version of instant on but not a forward clicky - you can get to high or low instantly. Fast click for high or press and hold for 1/2 second for low. My favorite UI.

Last edited:

TomH

Newly Enlightened
How about the Streamlight PT 1L. I know it's only rated at 110 lumens vs the Quarks 189 lumens, but the Streamlights numbers are the true "out the lens" lumens. From what I've seen in the past, the Chinese manufacturers tend to be wildly optimistic on their lights output numbers.

All of the PT series lights have forward clickys that start on the highest output setting.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problems carrying the Ra 170T clipped bezel down in my back jeans pocket. If I am wearing dress pants then that might be a problem. I say go for the Ra. You don't know what you are missing out until you have it. Trust me, you will find a good reason and method to carry it once you own it. As for me, I find it almost impossible to leave home without my Ra lights.

Imon

Enlightened
The HDS Ra Clicky is of course a option because you can customize it to be "tactical"
Also the Novatac 120T too huh? :sssh:... (Why buy that when you can have a Ra?)

The Surefire E1B.
I think a 4sevens Quark 123 with a tactical tailcap would work pretty well.
The Olight T10-T.
Perhaps the iTP SC1.
Eagletac T10c.
Nitecore Extreme.

Just to name a few.

I've had a few "tactical" lights before but I usually end up dumping them in favor of my more "practical" lights. :)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix's PD30 and LD20 are both good (slim)

QuarkAA2 I like alot, it's floody, good in close areas. Starts off on Turbo, feather the button for strobe. Turn the head to access moonlight mode and then feather the button for the rest of the modes.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc6 is very small and works well as a "tactical" light.

If you put a xp-g in there it will blow you away brightness wise:D

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's another thread floating around here where folks are expressing a desire for a CR2 based light with a tail clicky and in a way you are asking for the same concept in a 123 based light. I think there could be a real market for a light like this and hopefully a company like 4Sevens will take the concept and run with it. Just yesterday, I took delivery of a 123 body for a AA Quark Tactical and as somebody already pointed out in this thread it may be your best bet for the time being. It's a true tactical style light in a small package but certainly no key chain light. I need more time with it to see how I like it. So far even though it's smaller I find the AA easier and more comfortable to handle but time will tell.

Another option, if you are willing to consider a different battery would be a AAA that can run a 10440 like a Preon I with the optional tail clicky, or the upcoming AAA Tiablo E3A Exquisite. Actually, in October Tiablo will introduce their E1A 123 EDC Exquisite model. Since the E3A has a tail clicky perhaps the E1A will too but so far we don't know the specs on this new light. There is also some confusion at the moment regarding whether these Tiablos have a forward clicky or a reverse one at least far as the AAA model goes. There are some other small lights that will give you instant on high as others have pointed out but I don't know of any as small and powerful as the Quark 123. If the Mini Quark 123 had a tail clicky option I would buy one in a heart beat.

Last edited:

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice.

As I mentioned though, I'm already aware of the RA lights. They are too big. Everything mentioned so far is either larger, or not as bright as the mini 123.

Does that mean that nothing currently exists that is as small, lightweight, and bright as the mini 123 that can go full power instant on?

-Freq

2000mc

Newly Enlightened
for instant high output i've been using a fenix p1d q5 with 3.7v instead of 3.0v it should have. you lose the med and low levels though, still have 3 levels... high, high, and high.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that mean that nothing currently exists that is as small, lightweight, and bright as the mini 123 that can go full power instant on?

Perhaps, although The Quark is not the only tiny 123 flashlight. The ITP A1 EOS is a very close competitor, but it also starts out in low. I'm not sure there are many 123 lights quite so short but there are many other small ones to consider. Search around on CPF and you'll find 'em. As mentioned the new Tiablo E1A Exquisite EDC 123 LED Flashlight due out in October may be the light you seek or perhaps close. The AAA version just now becoming available has a tail clicky, a claimed 200 lumens and some nice features for such a small light. (no real low output though). If the 123 version has the same features and a tail clicky it could be way cool. Of course, any light with a tail switch will be longer than the Quark mini 123 but with a well designed switch it may be a good compromise. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing how the Tiablo "E" series pans out.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice.

As I mentioned though, I'm already aware of the RA lights. They are too big. Everything mentioned so far is either larger, or not as bright as the mini 123.

-Freq

I guess I need to give more specifics:

Quark Mini 123:
Length: 2.3 inches
Diameter: .8 inches
weight: .62 ounces
Low: 3 Lumens
Medium: 40 Lumens
Max: 189 Lumens

Zebralight SC30:
Length: 2.6 inches
Diameter: .85 inches
weight: 1.1 ounces
Max: 193 Lumens
High: 105 Lumens
Medium1: 38 Lumens
Medium2: 21 Lumens
Low1: 4 Lumens
Low2: .4 Lumens

You can get directly to max or either low mode from off with the SC30 (Yes, full power instant on). Also low1 or low2 instant on. The Zebralight has more OTF lumens but is .3 inches longer (not sure that is even noticable). It is a much better light all the way around.

Now I don't know what you are looking for exactly for instant on. One place you ask for "tactical instant on" and another you ask for "full power instant on". To me a tactical instant on means the light must have a forward clicky. This light does not have a forward clicky (or a reverse clicky) but it does have full power instant on. It has an electronic button (switch) that can go to full power instant on or low power instant on directly from off.

See SC30 (left), Quark Mini (center), Quark 123 (right)
sc30.jpg

Last edited:

cistallus

Enlightened
... I recently got a quark mini 123. I love it. The only thing I wish it had, is an easy to use tactical instant full power on.
Maybe you already do. I can get mine to full power in about a half-second. I have the head loosened about 1/8 turn; holding it underhand, I quickly press and release the head twice then hold it down the third time. Quick enough for my uses. I use it this way over 90% of the time, compared to tightening the head.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you already do. I can get mine to full power in about a half-second. I have the head loosened about 1/8 turn; holding it underhand, I quickly press and release the head twice then hold it down the third time. Quick enough for my uses. I use it this way over 90% of the time, compared to tightening the head.

Yes! This method works well on my MiNi123 as well. If you hold the light between your first and second fingers like a cigar, you can push against the end of the light quickly with your thumb and go from off to high in less than a second... then just maintain thumb pressure to keep the light there for as long as you press (or until you twist).

But still, if you can deal with the larger Quark123 Tactical, that's got the goods for momentary MAX instantly or constant MAX instantly. And it runs on 16340 li-ion no problem! Brilliant output with XP-G. Mine is the neutral version which is barely less bright than the cool white version... and I love the tint on it.

Between my MiNi123 and my Q123 Tactical, I much prefer the Q123 T, though the MiNi123 is pretty small. Just that if I really want small, I skip over my MiNi123 and go straight to the Preon 1 clicky on 10440. It's not instant to HIGH, though, but I can go from off to high with the Preon in about a second, but it is a click and two quick presses to get there, definitely not "tactical".

Last edited:

cistallus

Enlightened
Hadn't thought of cigar grip - yes, that works too. But because my Mini is on my keychain instead of loose, the underhand method works better for me (thumb pressing on head).