Tactical flood?

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a tactical flood light, a "thump in the night" flashlight.

Practically speaking, the Surefire G2Z MV is the perfect light. I'd prefer it in 18650, but that's about the only downside, otherwise its exactly what I want.

Are there any others that I should consider? I'd like:

* single mode, full power
* tail clickie
* wide full flood
* 800+ real lumens
* not much smaller than the G2z, good one-handed operation
* No side buttons
* able to run full output for more than a few seconds
* crenulated bezel would be nice

I have a Malkoff Wildcat V6 already (4 CR123 or 2x18650) - its a little long. No good option to reduce length to 1x18650 unfortunately.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Easiest solution is what I did, and that's put a 21700 body on the Wild Cat which still gives about 500 lumens in a easier one hand tactical grip in case you got something else(like a Glock!) in your other hand.

An 18650 Wild Cat would obviously put out a few more lumen but I like the versatility of the wider voltage range.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe vinh Nguyen and a few other people can bore out a g2z for you.
Streamlight has a couple lights that are the equivalent of a G2 and 18650 compatible as well.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe vinh Nguyen and a few other people can bore out a g2z for you.
Streamlight has a couple lights that are the equivalent of a G2 and 18650 compatible as well.
g2z mv can not be bored, there is a plastic case with a metal tube inside. If only unscrew his head and screw on the body from p2x or 6px, which were already bored out

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
Easiest solution is what I did, and that's put a 21700 body on the Wild Cat which still gives about 500 lumens in a easier one hand tactical grip in case you got something else(like a Glock!) in your other hand.

An 18650 Wild Cat would obviously put out a few more lumen but I like the versatility of the wider voltage range.
Good idea and a nice one. Is this the body you're using? https://malkoffdevices.com/collecti...ms/products/keeppower-21700-protected-battery - it fits the Wildcat (CR123) head? With a single 21700 you'd have 1/4 the voltage of the 4xCR123s in the MD4 tube I have now I think, yes? So output is significantly lower. Wonder what you started with and how it turned out?

ledbetter

Enlightened
Yes, that's the body. At about 2/5 the voltage(4.2) of using 3 primaries, the newer drivers Gene uses in the M91s, wild cats, and hound dogs all run fine on one li-ion battery. At about 60+%? of output. You might want to check out the M91 thread in the Malkoff section which shows a lot of different tests and more exact estimations of performance. It looks pretty bright to me. The low with the hi/lo ring is about half with using a single li-ion.

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that's the body. At about 2/5 the voltage(4.2) of using 3 primaries, the newer drivers Gene uses in the M91s, wild cats, and hound dogs all run fine on one li-ion battery. At about 60+%? of output. You might want to check out the M91 thread in the Malkoff section which shows a lot of different tests and more exact estimations of performance. It looks pretty bright to me. The low with the hi/lo ring is about half with using a single li-ion.
Ok, thanks - I may try that for a side-project.

I ended up just buying a G2Z - looking for the best rechargable 123's to put in there. Any thoughts?

ledbetter

Enlightened
Keep power and other brands are making rechargeable 3v batteries. Though longer they should fit. Only downside is they give no warning when they go out, other words, no taper. All or nothing. Might want to try 16650, though I'm not familiar with g2z voltage requirements. That polymer is going to get hot quick at 800 lumens!!

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
Keep power and other brands are making rechargeable 3v batteries. Though longer they should fit. Only downside is they give no warning when they go out, other words, no taper. All or nothing. Might want to try 16650, though I'm not familiar with g2z voltage requirements. That polymer is going to get hot quick at 800 lumens!!
Thanks - I was just looking at the various options with 16650 and the 3V rechargables. Appreciate the input, sounds like I'm on the right track.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
g2z mv can not be bored, there is a plastic case with a metal tube inside. If only unscrew his head and screw on the body from p2x or 6px, which were already bored out
Oh my bad I saw the Z2 on his page and thought it was a g2z :D either way he has a bunch of host options.
It's more a matter of your preferred grip and what you want to Lego to it.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks - I was just looking at the various options with 16650 and the 3V rechargables. Appreciate the input, sounds like I'm on the right track.
Keeppower rcr123 does not fit my g2x MV, you will crush the batteries. Ive ran my g2x MV on keeppower 16650 from the beginning, all Surefires should run fine on them, downside being slightly reduced output. Trying the HD with a MD2 or MD21700 is an option like mentioned here, though I understand I would be a bit frontheavy. Elzetta bones + food lens is another great option as mentions by byk.

Latest posts